Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JP: DREAM THEATER ALMOST READY TO REVEAL MIKE PORTNOY REPLACEMENT  (Read 11867 times)
Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:41:05 pm »

I thought this was worth sharing. Dream Theater actually making the news...!!

DREAM THEATER ALMOST READY TO REVEAL MIKE PORTNOY REPLACEMENT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPbiasKhh7s

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 11:48:03 pm »

This video already shared here. Once again - where exactly JP said, they are ready to announce new drummer?

I know the truth is out there.

Stephanus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 07:40:38 am »

I still think that Mike's decision is ridiculous. Let's compare Dream Theater to Queen:

Queen: 13 albums in 18 years (1973-1991), nearly 600 concerts (1971-1991)
Dream Theater: 10 albums in 21 years (1989-2010), nearly 600 concerts also (I guess)

Members of both groups did solo projects.

Imagine Brian May would have left Queen in 1986 to replace Rick Parfitt (Status Quo) or Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones). It would have been ridiculous. With Queen Brian May had the chance to play Bohemian Rhapsody, Brighton Rock, We Are The Champions and many other great songs. By leaving Dream Theater, Mike has given up the possibility to play Metropolis (which is Dream Theater's "Bohemian Rhapsody") and "Pull Me Under" (which is I think Dream Theater's "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions").

Roger Taylor, the drummer of Queen, once said: "Coming back to Queen is always like coming back to mother."

I think he could say that because they had a mutual respect for each other. The members of Queen were also very diverse, but they accepted each other. Mike is in my opinion some kind of narciss. He always wanted the others to perform and to function the way he wanted. As long as the other members did that,  Mike felt fine. Now, for the first time, the 4 "other" members of Dream Theater refused to acknowledge Mike's attitude and his ideas, so that he (Mike) could not see is mirror image in them anymore. If a narciss (which is somethin like an abnormal egomaniac) can't reflect himself in the attitude and behaviour of his "friends" anymore, he starts to behave irrationally. And that's what he did when he deleted the JLB tour thread in his forum.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:45:26 am by Stephanus » Logged

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:17:22 am »

I don't think Mike's main and major issue now is "damn I can't play Metropolis for the 585th time", actually....

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:00:27 pm »

Hmmm yeah... when I re-watched. He doesn't EXACTLY say this, but it was still interesting to physically SEE him speak this instead of just a pod cast.
Besides, I did not know it was shared before. I certainly never saw it.

Atleast this seems hopeful they will name a drummer soon. I am sure the new drummer will be named before they go into the studio. It seems in the underlining words from JP that the new drummer or drummers are already picked and they are rehearsing with the band now. Maybe the choice has been selected down to a couple guys. But the point is, if the auditions were a month ago, I don't think they just let the 7 guys go, and the other 4 members sit around for a month and talk about it. There must be call backs, and other rehearsals with a couple other guys and get a 'vibe' etc just like James said. It's more than just selecting a phenomenal drummer.

The other 4 guys have alot going on in their lives right now(especially JLB) besides finding the new drummer, but I am pretty sure this is a top priority. Jan. 11th is around the corner.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

VioletS16

Forum crazy snake lady!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:07:33 pm »

Where did he say that?  Angry
We will just have to wait. I can't bare the tension.
James, you're loving this, aren't you?

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, old time is still a-fly, and this same flower that smiles today tomorrow will be dying - ACOS

<3

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 03:20:17 pm »

Yeah, the headline is a bit misleading least to say.

But it's naturally impossible to avoid the hype building around the new drummer as January is coming closer.

"All we need is just a little patience..."

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

resipsa

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:23:46 am »

On November 19, 2010, it was announced that the band has picked their new drummer, but are waiting a little longer to reveal the identity. Rumor has it that this is because the new drummer is LilWiz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater

What?

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 08:47:34 am »

You know folks...and I am gonna say this because it bears repeating - and I am not trying to sound like a biatch or anything.  With ANY news relating to DT or the members....please don't feed the rumours.  James has been great at updating us here.  I would wait for official news instead of searching for something that may not be true.  I am sure if someone posted something untrue about something in your lives, you wouldn't take too kindly to it...so let's be patient about it.  Okay?   Starting threads with 'OMGZZZZZZZZZ!!!!  DT FINDZZZZZ NEW DRUMMER!!!!!!" is just gonna set people off, and i think we have seen enough drama in this sector of life, nevermind our own lives... Cheesy  Just wait for the band......like I mentioned in the other thread....If you had something in your life you wanted to keep PRIVATE, you wouldn't want people prying and spectulating, right?  Alright then....
Thank you.... Smiley

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

darkham

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:38:55 pm »

If anybody watch the video with a little bit of attention, will discover that John Petrucci never said that DT are almost ready to reveal Mike Portnoy replacement.

#1KJLFAN

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »

I was always pretty sure that the announcement would never be made until after Mike comes off tour which will be subsequent to Wednesday, November 24th. Best thing is to be patient and simply wait until Dream Theater spill the beans with the official announcement... I am sure we can reply on James to let us know right here as soon as it happens... should certainly be interesting to say the least... bl

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 02:21:06 pm »

Am I the only one that "does not care"? I mean, it's not that I'm not interested, but it's just that drums are the instrument that pesonally interest me the least, so it's not that I'm not that knowleadgeable in drumming or can really understand which drummer is good and which drummer is not - also, the drummers I could name, especially from the prog / rock or prog / metal scene (from where, presumably, the new drummer will come), are very few, if any at all, so really, once they'll announce the new drummer it will probably be someone I just don't know, or whose name I heard once or twice when discussing a prog metal or prog rock band I never even listened to save a song or two.

So that's the reason why, although being of course interested in knowing the new DT line up, I'm not here counting the minutes for an official announcement that will reveal me either an unkown name, or a name of someone I never actually heard a song from  Wink

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

pg1067

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 01:23:57 pm »

By leaving Dream Theater, Mike has given up the possibility to play Metropolis (which is Dream Theater's "Bohemian Rhapsody") and "Pull Me Under" (which is I think Dream Theater's "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions").

He hasn't "given up" that possibility.  While I doubt A7X would play those songs, they certainly COULD play them.  And, frankly, I doubt Mike is particularly troubled about the possibility of not playing these songs or any other particular song for a while.

Mike is in my opinion some kind of narciss.

The word is narcissist -- it's kind of like someone who thinks he has insight into a situation that he wasn't personally part of based solely on media reports/speculation.   Smiley

pg1067

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 01:25:04 pm »

With ANY news relating to DT or the members....please don't feed the rumours.

Amen!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: