Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: To the ones who are cold...  (Read 22491 times)
lutima

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:45:50 am »

I know it's bitterly cold in the Middle and North East of the US, so here's a warm hug for all of you !  Smiley
It's 30 below zero where my family lives and even 40 below with wind chills Shocked, so they are, for sure, trapped inside their homes.
Su, how are you holding up ?

Maybe Donna can serve us some nice hot chocolate or cappuccino in the Bar  Wink
Temps are back to normal here (6 degrees), but cappuccino would be nice !

Subu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:57:51 pm »

Shocked  Air temp was -15F  (-26.1C) when I woke this morning.  Wind chills are between -35 and -45F (-37 to -42.7F)...we are under a wind chill warning, and people are being asked to stay indoors.  Supposed to get even worse tonight when the wind picks up and makes the wind chill eve more brutal.....we have about one foot of snow on the ground, but an additional couple of feet melted off a few weeks ago when the temps soared to 50F and above.....winter sure is a weird season......

I have to chuckle when I hear people wish for the kinds of winters we get......all I can think is "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!".......

‎"Accomplishment breeds confidence, insecurity breeds arrogance" - me

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 02:34:30 pm »

Shocked  Air temp was -15F  (-26.1C) when I woke this morning.  Wind chills are between -35 and -45F (-37 to -42.7F)...we are under a wind chill warning, and people are being asked to stay indoors.  Supposed to get even worse tonight when the wind picks up and makes the wind chill eve more brutal.....we have about one foot of snow on the ground, but an additional couple of feet melted off a few weeks ago when the temps soared to 50F and above.....winter sure is a weird season......

I have to chuckle when I hear people wish for the kinds of winters we get......all I can think is "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!".......

I generally speak about ´loving´ winters when I mean just snow and ice... I never experienced real strong winters like yours. I think it can be pretty dangerous, and I definitely don't wish for temperatures like -26°C  Shocked

The lowest temperature ever measured in Holland was -27,4°C, but it was in 1947  Wink

Stay safe! And mostly, stay warm!

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:32:48 pm »

Carbon copy here in Toronto, my dearest.  I can't believe we are getting the EXACT same weather as you.  But then again, we aren't REALLY that far apart, are we now?   Cheesy Kiss  Yeah, they are saying if you don't have to go out, then don't...bundle the kids up for school....wind chills and wind from about 40-60km....eek!!!!

Yeah!  One winter here in Canada or North Eastern USA, you'll be GLAD for what you got!  Wanna hear something HILARIOUS?  I heard on the weather news on our local all news radio station that the weather in South Florida is gonna be sooooooooooooo cold.....going to 0 degrees C.  Now yeah, for them, that is cold, but for us?  LUXURY!!!
At least the snow we are going to be getting this weekend is going down in expected accumulation.  Now they are saying about 2cm tomorrow and 2-3cm on Sunday.  I can live with that.  But no more.  Really.

HOT CHOCOATE AND CAPPUCINO FOR EVERYONE!!!

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 04:41:02 pm »

Distance isn't everything, but this time around you and Su are having the same weather indeed. A high pressure area slowly has started to move to the south east. Around those high pressure area's, air moves clockwise. So if you look on this map, you can see where your weather is coming from  Grin Don't mind the colours, those only tell about the temperatures in upper air levels. Currently extremely cold air is moving south around the Big Lakes, while in Alaska they are experiencing an extremely mild spell. Mud slides from melting snow have locally blocked roads! The same system that brings your cold, is transporting warm air to most of the north west on the North American continent. This picture will change every 12 hours btw.

yeshua4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 05:48:58 pm »

can I have some of that hot chocolate, even if it isn't that cold here?
 Grin

Is anyone here a marine biologist?

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 05:58:38 pm »

Much as I love the cold, I also love coming in from it to a nice hot cup of something...so thanks, lutima. Kiss

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 09:34:45 am »

@ yeshua - of COURSE you can!  No be silly.....  Grin
@ Dargor - holy cow...you sound EXACTLY like the people on the Weather Network!   Wink  You know...I think you missed your TRUE calling, Martijn.   Grin

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:09:51 am »

@ yeshua - of COURSE you can!  No be silly.....  Grin
@ Dargor - holy cow...you sound EXACTLY like the people on the Weather Network!   Wink  You know...I think you missed your TRUE calling, Martijn.   Grin

LOL... Weather highly interests me, but more as some kind of hobby  Wink

Subu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:51:40 am »

Hey Donna.....no, in the whole scheme of things we are not that far apart......since you are experiencing the same arctic blast we are,  hold on....when I woke this morning the air temp was -25F  (-31.66C).....brrrrrr......but hopefully this will break this weekend and we will get more normal winter weather.....the inside of my front door has frost growing on it!   We're bracing for the wind, which will make wind chills unbearable.....they are saying from -40 to -60F  (-40 to -58C) or lower......

Stay warm sweetie and I'll gladly take a cup of that awesome looking hot chocolate!!

‎"Accomplishment breeds confidence, insecurity breeds arrogance" - me

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:44:19 am »

Over the weekend, temperatures will start to climb around Chicago. Try to come back here to look at that map, you'll see the high pressure moving Wink On sunday, you'll like be having winds from the southwest, bringing a highly antipicated relief for Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota especially Smiley 

Eva
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 12:52:42 pm »

Martijn, why don't you change your job?Huh  Wink

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 12:58:47 pm »

Awwwwwwwwwww!!!  I just learned that from Saturday overnight to Sunday morning, we will be receiving 10-15cm of new snow!   Shocked Shocked Shocked 
* Donna brews more coffee, makes more tea, makes more hot chocolate and stokes our OWN fire

Eep.

Eva
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 01:09:40 pm »

I'm going skiing tomorrow...  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 04:11:10 pm »

Martijn, why don't you change your job?Huh  Wink

I'd rather write than study on weather models  Wink It's just a hobby, and fun for that reason  Cheesy I'll answer your mail soon btw! Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:45:49 am by Dargor » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: