Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Smashed"  (Read 5888 times)
DTLaBriePortnoy85

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2010, 05:38:34 pm »

Hey, all.

Last Saturday, my buddy and I were listening to James' "Elements Of Persuasion". It was, actually, the first time I had heard it, and I loved it. I thought it was a downright incredible CD.

But I have to say that the one song that really, really stood out for me was "Smashed". I actually started to well up with some tears because the song is so beautiful. The lyrics, the music, James' vocals. I really took the song to heart.

Is it just me? Or does anybody else feel the same way about "Smashed"?

Watched so many of my loved ones fall, today. It's like I'm standing here with all of my past erased. The man I have become is not walking away. It is the memories that makes the man you see.

Jamie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:39:28 am »

ahhhhhhhhhh yes........ i feel exactly the same about smashed- beautiful song. not sure if it's talking about 9/11 or not, but regardless, it was a touching song. the lyrics are very relevant in today's society.... and james' voice is awesome in this song  Smiley

The little things that kill you make you glad to be alive.

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:22:58 am »

It's NOT about 9/11 (James would have talked about that in the then upcoming Octavarium), it was inspired by riots and war scenes shown in certain places of Africa. But yeah, I guess 9/11 would have been the first thing people would have thought about until James explained what the song was about.

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

sabonim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 02:00:38 pm »

GREAT SONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Gustavo Agostini
Laboratory of Plant Molecular Systematic - UFRGS
---------------------------
Sabonim Gustavo Agostini
Master in Hapkido UYK

GatherYeRosebuds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 05:56:02 pm »

Beautiful. Not my favourite on the album, but definitely top 5.

I thought the lyrics were about industries tearing down someone's childhood home?.... guess not  Embarrassed

Dcaxeslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:29:01 pm »

Indeed it is a great song. I felt the same way too. "Lost" also give me the same sort of experence. The "Elements of Persuasion" album was defenatly one of the very few albums that changed me musicly.

+R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio+

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:05:23 pm »

Bumpity bump...your question has been replied to on the first page..... Wink

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

Pages: [1]