Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Speak To Me"  (Read 5874 times)
DTLaBriePortnoy85

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:18:11 am »

Hey, guys. How's everyone been? I know it's been about...2 weeks since my "Newbie" post. Can't get to a computer very often, since my laptop is busted. Using my parents' computer right now. But enough of that.

I've been watching my VHS copy of 5 Years In A LIVEtime, pretty frequentley (especially since, being a new fan, it's the only video I have at the moment, being that it'll be three months since I've been a DT fan). Seeing the live unplugged show that is featured on the video, "Speak To Me" has become another one of my all-time favorite DT songs (please don't ask me what song I would choose to pick as my ONE & ONLY favorite because that is a question I find to be all too hard to answer). Now, I already know of the studio recorded version of "Speak To Me", as I heard it on Youtube. Is there any "Single" release that contains that song as a B-side? Even if it's an import? I gotta have this song in my collection.

Watched so many of my loved ones fall, today. It's like I'm standing here with all of my past erased. The man I have become is not walking away. It is the memories that makes the man you see.

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:45:16 am »

Speak to Me is a Falling into Infinity B-side. It never made it to the final album released by the label.

You can find the live version of Speak To Me in the 96 Dream Theater Fan club which contains the Once In  A Livetime Outtakes.

The studio version of it, you can find it in the Dream Theater Fan club Cleaning Out the Closet (1999 I think) and in Dream Theater's Official Bootleg Series in the Falling Into Infinity Demos.

Personally, I prefer the live version. The studio version uses a drum machine instead of the real drums. Live is more organic...even James' voice sounds better on the live version that the studio.

Thanks for talking about Speak To Me. It's probably in my top 5 all time favorite DT songs. I love the lyrics.

DTLaBriePortnoy85

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:07:27 pm »

I don't have an answer to your question, but I wanted to offer you a belated welcome to Captain J's ship anyway. Cheesy  I've been fine, thanks. How have you been?

That's okay. But thank you for the welcome. Feels greatto be a part of the Cap'n's crew.

Speak to Me is a Falling into Infinity B-side. It never made it to the final album released by the label.

You can find the live version of Speak To Me in the 96 Dream Theater Fan club which contains the Once In  A Livetime Outtakes.

The studio version of it, you can find it in the Dream Theater Fan club Cleaning Out the Closet (1999 I think) and in Dream Theater's Official Bootleg Series in the Falling Into Infinity Demos.

Personally, I prefer the live version. The studio version uses a drum machine instead of the real drums. Live is more organic...even James' voice sounds better on the live version that the studio.

Thanks for talking about Speak To Me. It's probably in my top 5 all time favorite DT songs. I love the lyrics.

Thank you for the info. I'll see if I can get a copy of both the live and the studio versions. Thanks again for the info.

Watched so many of my loved ones fall, today. It's like I'm standing here with all of my past erased. The man I have become is not walking away. It is the memories that makes the man you see.

Freko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:45:37 pm »

I also like this song very very much! thanks for reminding me of it.
as I recall it, please correct me if Im wrong, but Labrie wrote this song?? !  Roll Eyes
or maybe he just wrote the lyrics.. anyone?  Smiley

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 02:58:24 pm »

James wrote the lyrics. I don't know about the music though

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:01:02 pm »

James wrote the lyrics. I don't know about the music though

it was during the FII days when DT still had the label breathing down their neck... so who knows on the music part.

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:20:02 pm »

It's one of my favorites as well. When I found out that it was on the FII demos, I was extremely excited. It's one of those songs that I can listen to over and over again.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: