Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Autotune used on James' voice in DT  (Read 24854 times)
B-rad

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2010, 03:10:27 am »

I really needed to talk about this on the forum b/c I feel like I'm the only one who notices it. Obvious autotune was used on James' vocals throughout BC & SL, especially on Wither, which is pretty much pure autotune from beginning to end. What bothers me even more is that DT's sound engineers will activate autotune during some live performances. I don't know if anyone else on the forum is bothered by this or even notices it, but I'm just bothered by it because I know James is easily capable of singing in tune; i've seen him do it time and time again on the last tour without the help of autotune. I'm curious to hear James' opinion on this subject and if he has much say about whether or not autotune will be used in certain situations. Just as an example, here are Wither and A Rite of Passage from DT's recent performance at the Sonic festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXnOiImiNUQ
good example is at 1:28 on the word "down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0XK0AhyUxo
best example is at 4:03 on the word "cornerstone"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 03:21:19 am by B-rad » Logged

Fancy dress contrived rhetoric speech
The unlettered masses conforming
Rank and file members fearing change
But questioned their own faith this morning

"You people way up in back, put the fuckin hotdog down and put your hands together LET'S GOOOOOO!" - James LaBrie

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 03:25:58 am »

It doesn't bother me at all as long as they don't overkill with autotune.

And those videos from the festival look like TV broadcasts, so maybe more 'polished' sound was needed for TV and that's why autotune was used.

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

B-rad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:31:42 am »

Ya at least they didn't completely overkill with autotune on those recordings. Chaos in Motion is total autotune overkill though. When I heard surrounded on Chaos in Motion, I was appalled at how heavily autotune was used haha. When I hear a live performance, I expect to hear the performers' natural talent, not a robotic sound produced by something that assures flawlessness. I expect everyone else feels the same way.

"You people way up in back, put the fuckin hotdog down and put your hands together LET'S GOOOOOO!" - James LaBrie

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 07:23:39 am »

IIRC, autotune was not used in chaos in motion. it's the effects (especially reverb) that the sound engineer for that tour used. it got overused and that's why james sounds very "nasally" in cim. cim was not a professionally shot dvd, so there's isn't much you can use since the audio isn't as polished as a professional recording.

Freko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 09:10:46 am »

yeah itīs not auto-tune on rite of passage... itīs vibrato. he have made many more of those on diffrent live acts from 92 til present.
I canīt belive for a second that they use auto-tune live, the side-effects would be ALOT more in that case.

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:21:32 am »

Also, autotune is used in the studio, so I wouldn't doubt Wither has been autotuned a bit. But that is what the studio is...to record the most perfect performance. Some bands/artists/producers use autotune, some don't. It all depends on each artist's artistic view of the whole project

Freko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:25:13 am »

yeah, itīs like triggering a drum, adding delay or whatever. FX
also itīs a time saver , if youīre doing a perfect line with alot of feeling and expression and then go out of tune for just a millisecond then itīs perfect to use auto-tune or melodyne.

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 10:14:51 am »

Also: IT'S NOT KE$HA. Wink

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

Rob
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 11:06:16 am »

This has come up before and I'm pretty sure James has responded that he's never used autotune during any live performances.  In the studio, I have no idea.  I'll let him chime in if he wants to though and give his thoughts.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.

B-rad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 01:05:25 pm »

IIRC, autotune was not used in chaos in motion. it's the effects (especially reverb) that the sound engineer for that tour used. it got overused and that's why james sounds very "nasally" in cim. cim was not a professionally shot dvd, so there's isn't much you can use since the audio isn't as polished as a professional recording.

I'm not sure how you could not notice autotune/pitch correction on both the Chaos in Motion dvd and cd. All of it was probably applied after the fact, but there is definite autotune/pitch correction used on almost every track. The most apparent instances are the "once lost but i was found" part of surrounded on the cd and the "leaving distrust behind" part in the dvd version of scarred (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIFgsFp7kuc&feature=related go to 4:53, listen to the word "behind"). I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, just pointing out what's obvious to me. And this isn't meant to be an attack on James or anything; it probably wasn't even necessary to use pitch correction/autotune on his voice in the first place. It just disappoints me when I listen to James' singing for it's natural qualities and some sound engineer has masked those natural qualities with pitch correction or autotune.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:07:25 pm by B-rad » Logged

ashflower

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 01:51:56 pm »

If they were really that obsessed with making him sound better, enough to use autotune, would they not have used overdubs instead? I love James as much as anyone here but half of that DVD was not exactly his best.  Wink It doesn't really make sense that they would autotune some notes and leave other missed notes as they were.

(disclaimer: James has been amazing the times when I've seen him live, this is not a criticism of his vocals in general, just of certain performances on Chaos in Motion)

James cutting his hair IS TENS TIMES THE SHOCK OF MIKE LEAVING THE BAND TO ME!!

B-rad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 01:55:35 pm »

If they were really that obsessed with making him sound better, enough to use autotune, would they not have used overdubs instead? I love James as much as anyone here but half of that DVD was not exactly his best.  Wink It doesn't really make sense that they would autotune some notes and leave other missed notes as they were.

(disclaimer: James has been amazing the times when I've seen him live, this is not a criticism of his vocals in general, just of certain performances on Chaos in Motion)

There's a simple answer to that: it's much easier to correct the recording you already have rather than re-record it.

ashflower

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 02:29:42 pm »

There's a simple answer to that: it's much easier to correct the recording you already have rather than re-record it.
I really don't think you're getting the point. His performances on Chaos in Motion are not his best. They did NOT use autotune to fix ANYTHING. I think you're pretty delusional. You're hearing what you want to hear, and I think it's pretty disrespectful to accuse DT of using such a cheap studio trick on a live performance. I mean, they would have actually done a good job of it, IF they had even used it and James would have sounded flawless. So your assumption just holds no water.

James cutting his hair IS TENS TIMES THE SHOCK OF MIKE LEAVING THE BAND TO ME!!

B-rad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 02:58:55 pm »

I really don't think you're getting the point. His performances on Chaos in Motion are not his best. They did NOT use autotune to fix ANYTHING. I think you're pretty delusional. You're hearing what you want to hear, and I think it's pretty disrespectful to accuse DT of using such a cheap studio trick on a live performance. I mean, they would have actually done a good job of it, IF they had even used it and James would have sounded flawless. So your assumption just holds no water.

I understand your point completely, and I'm not hearing what i want to hear (believe me, I don't want to hear any form of pitch correction used on James' voice). If you're going to be that adamant about pitch correction/auto tune not being used, then I don't know what to say to convince you otherwise. The evidence is in the recordings.

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 05:34:58 pm »

I would say there's something there....although it seems it's like enunciation or autotune. You can see James' mouth at the end of that example (on the word behind).

Let me clarify something:

On ALL of DT's LIVE OFFICIAL Recordings, Dream Theater has been known to overdub and/or "correct" their liver performances. I'm ASSuming auto-tune was used on this one over the recording and not overdubbed because of budget constraints. It's much easier to use autotune than overdub (better said, much cheaper). Chaos in motion was not a high budget project to begin with, like let's say Score or Budokan. I'm pretty sure they used it to "enhance" the quality of the video. One clear example (and it's mentioned on the Dream Theater bio), Live in Tokyo was mostly overdubbed in the studio (at least the vocals IIRC). Score had very minor tweaks...The most obvious is during  Under a glass moon...The guitar sound cut off (I was there) and it went off for like 20 seconds.

If you want to hear some RAW recordings of James' singing, I would suggest you to start getting into the DT bootleg world. There are some EXCELLENT recordings out there were James is fuckin awesome. Others, you hear him struggle, although it's been less and less in the latest tours. But let's be honest, the voice is the instrument that is pretty obvious if you screw up.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: