Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: *NEW* Iron Maiden-album  (Read 22352 times)
Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 06:31:40 am »

As for cover.... I'm disappointed - it's of the worst IM's cover ever Sad

have to agree with you - the cover artwork could and SHOULD have been far better. But it's not the worst (remember X Factor for one).

As for the free track, El Dorado, although it's already in my iPod, I can't say it's awesome. Nice (especially musically - God bless Steve Harris & Co for proggy-ness!  Cheesy ), but nothing special. I assume that with this single they let us taste just a little bit of what's inside, I hope there are, like, 1 nice and 9 awesome tracks  Grin

Also, the release date - 16th August. It kills me. Why so late?? Haven't we been waiting enough already?  Angry *rants*

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 01:53:04 pm »

As for cover.... I'm disappointed - it's of the worst IM's cover ever Sad

have to agree with you - the cover artwork could and SHOULD have been far better. But it's not the worst (remember X Factor for one).

As for the free track, El Dorado, although it's already in my iPod, I can't say it's awesome. Nice (especially musically - God bless Steve Harris & Co for proggy-ness!  Cheesy ), but nothing special. I assume that with this single they let us taste just a little bit of what's inside, I hope there are, like, 1 nice and 9 awesome tracks  Grin

Also, the release date - 16th August. It kills me. Why so late?? Haven't we been waiting enough already?  Angry *rants*

the only reason El Darado was released is because Dallas is their first stop... other then that no reason to even give a taste (despite the tour being for the album Cheesy)

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 07:18:41 pm »

Single sounds very weak imo but that has happened before with IM and their latest two albums (DoD, AMOLAD, and even BNW). Let's see what happens with the rest of it.

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 06:55:55 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6q5dGVnG0I&feature=player_embedded

Here's a new teaser for upcoming album  Smiley

I know the truth is out there.

MuumiPeikko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 04:50:19 pm »

IM publish authorship for Final Frontier's songs

'Satellite 15... The Final Frontier' (Smith/Harris)
'El Dorado' (Smith/Harris/Dickinson)
'Mother Of Mercy' (Smith/Harris)
'Coming Home' (Smith/Harris/Dickinson)
'The Alchemist' (Gers/Harris/Dickinson)
'Isle Of Avalon' (Smith/Harris)
'Starblind' (Smith/Harris/Dickinson)
'The Talisman' (Gers/Harris)
'The Man Who Would Be King' (Murray/Harris)
'When The Wild Wind Blows' (Harris)

And I guess who write El Dorado after first listening  Cheesy

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 03:20:19 am »

Yay! One song written solely by Harris. Looking forward to check it out

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".

MuumiPeikko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 04:46:01 pm »

New video on Final Frontier song!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=105822368

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:43 pm »

Finally I got to watch this video. As for the song- great one(especially after less than average El Dorado), catchy riff, cool vocals- good ol' Maiden:-)
As for the video. Made me laugh. Really, the intro speech is one of the cheesiest I've ever heard. And less than 15 into the video I already knew this would be Alien-style Eddie combat. The graphics are somewhat poor, too. But at least better than in Different World.

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 04:12:04 pm »

an interesting article about the tour with IM... the comments after the article are prob the most interesting.

lets just say Pacific Northwest IM fans are brutal (and RUDE)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/why_maiden_arent_playing_what_you_want.html

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »

Here are my thoughts about the new Maiden release if anyone cares.

I must say I wasn't too psyched about the upcoming record, taking it easy so as not to get over-excited and ruin the impact with over-the-top expectations. But it seems that for the new-millenium Maiden you just can't raise the bar too high. Mighty Maiden always deliver.
They say you can't teach old dog new tricks, but sometimes it's not called for in the first place. Maiden stick to what they're good at - solid, melodic heavy metal, continuing to bring on some progressive elements.
The major complaint about Final Frontier is dominating of mid-tempo songs as opposed to fast-paced killer tracks they got known for. That means, you can't probably headbang to the record all the time. Instead, sometimes it's better to sit down and listen carefully. But my biggest (well, and the only) concern about the album was Bruce Dickinson's voice - the lack of its consistency at certain points,to be exact. The rest, by and large, is as good as it gets.
Satellite 15...Final Frontier
First of all, it's 2 separate and completely different songs, combined in one track for a reason that beats me.
Satellite 15 is definitely the strangest song on the record, and although not in a bad way, it doesn't quite fit the bill as an opener. There is a certain vibe to it, no matter how odd it may sound. Again, if the vocals had their usual ear-bursting power, it would do the song better.
The title song, Final Frontier, is about 4 minutes, based around a single riff, has a repetitive one-line chorus and... ROCKS. Simple as that. Seasoned with 3 short soaring guitar solos.  A classic album opener.
Listened to a free mp3 of El Dorado and didn't think highly of it? Well, take a better listen off the actual record. If anything, it's worth your attention for Harris' brilliant bass work - some famous gallops included. The song has a good melody, is catchy, diverse and definitely tends to grow on the listener. And it's not space or war/politics lyrics for a change, either, which I found an improvement since AMOLAD.
Mother of Mercy is another war-religion-themed song, but holy crow, it's amazing. Spot on beginning to end, both in terms of music and lyrics (which seriously sent chills down my spine, and that happens very rarely).
Coming Home is the classic ballad and rings a bell of Wasting Love. It's nothing new, neither too intricate nor heart-felt, but it has the subtle beauty of a metal ballad, great solo section and would perfectly fit on a motion picture soundtrack.
The Alchemist is the most fast-paced track with good fantasy lyrics and plenty of guitar unisons. Just an observation - it had an impression on me it's one of the Dance of Death leftovers (though I know it's not).
Marking the album equator is an epic Isle of Avalon. The intro sounds very alike to that of Lord of Light, but as the song unfolds, the reference wears off and you're exposed to a solid, diverse and thrilling epic in all its glory, with great fantasy lyrics and instrumental section wedged in the middle of the song.
Starblind is referred to as one of the album's best tracks, and one reason for it being it's progressiveness and outstanding guitar work. The rest of the song components are about just as good - if you want nit-picking, Bruce's wailing vocals sound a bit too strained, but that's pretty much it.
The soft intro of The Talisman is Clansman meet Rime of The Ancient Mariner and is slightly under 2 and a half minutes long, which is a bit much even for me, although I like the softer side of Bruce's voice. So if you don't fall asleep throughout the intro, you'll be rewarded with one of the best 6 minutes of the record. It's fresh, razor-sharp and finally the vocals are soaring flawless - you can hear the Air Raid Siren is still there. Another resemblance to Clansman is the guitar bridge, and the biggest surprise will probably be the solo part.
The beginning of The Man Who Would Be King instantly reminded me of The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, maybe the most hated Maiden epic by me. Well, at least this one is better by far, but it wasn't the last time I thought of that song while listening to The Man Who Would Be King. What I didn't like about the track were the sudden switches between different parts that don't click together as smooth as they should, and too forced and highbrow lyrics.
Where The Wild Wind Blows. All I can say it's a great song from Steve Harris, it has a strong Virtual XI vibe (for one, compare to Virus and Como Estais Amigos) and message-to-the-world lyrics; and that I like what happens after around 3:50 much more than that before.
The albums grew on me immensely since the first time I heard El Dorado. Some say AMOLAD is Maiden's greatest reunion-era album. I don't know if Final Frontier beats it, but at least is level to it in my personal rating.
9 of 10
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 06:26:49 pm by Natt » Logged

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 09:12:53 pm »

In my opinion Brave New World is the best new Maiden era album :p I don't skip a track. AMOLAD follows closely.

Anyways, I'm still trying to digest TFF. I have listened to it like 3 times and it has been growing by each listen. My favorite track is track 7. That's the most listened track for me. Coming Home is the other one I like. I bought the tin edition but if somebody is willing to trade it for the regular edition that would be great. LOL. Any takers?

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 03:59:35 am »

I'll copy and paste my comments from another forum... and keep in mind that Iron Maiden is my favorite band ever ever ever and nothing's gonna ever change that...

This is by no means a "bad" album per se, there's nothing absolutely ugly or utterly embarassing; more generally, I don't think Iron Maiden ever wrote their St. Anger or their Risk, even when they got it totally wrong, they still managed to churn out a masterpiece here and there (The Clansman for example). And another thing worth of praise, they're doing the kind of albums they're wanting to do rather than pleasing the crowds with half-assed self-covers of The Trooper or The Number of the Beast to then tour to play 1 or 2 songs off the new album and then play always the same classics.

But, simply, the songs here are not just good enough. By listening to it more times you can finally "get" this album, but in the end, there's not that much to get anyway. Also, the redundance of "epics" totally kill the mood for each other... in the glorious vynil days everyone just had 45 minutes to record and everyone gave their very best, with just a single epic, longer songs per record. Even in these CD days and the later albums, they still had some "recognizable" epics: on Brave New World we had Dream of Mirrors and The Nomad, on Dance of Death we had the title track and Paschendale, but on the last two albums there are so many long songs that you don't even understand what is supposed to be the centerpiece of the album anymore. And five songs in a row that last over 7 minutes are definitively too much.

Furthermore, the song structures do not go anywhere. The Talisman has a great storytelling intro but damn, they just did it with The Legacy... and what could have been a great galopping song gets stuck in a sensless loop of 54 verse / bridge things, before finally reaching a chorus that is not worth of the building tension. They absolutely wanted to make this song a long song or they wanted to tell as many of the story as possible therefore adding additional verses to have longer lyrics? who knows. Also When the Wild Wind Blows, is so anti-climatic. There's this nice, hummable and irresistible melody at the beginning, and then.......... nothing happens. The song drags and drags and drags without any fire or other climatic moment, until we reach the end that is the same as the beginning. And, but of course here it's my personal taste, The Man who Would be King has to be the most boring long song they've ever wrote, it plods along without anything worth remembering (even though the atmospheric intro and the outro are not THAT bad).

Overall, I'd say that the remaining two epics, Isle of Avalon and Starblind, are the ones that came out better. Starblind has a simple structure, it lasts that long because that's what it takes to "complete" the song, it doesn't drag like The Talisman, and it's a very nice, different and unusual song. And Isle of Avalon if the intro was just a little shorter it could have been even more awesome.

For the rest, the songs are somehow overwhadowed by the similarity with the previous album. The Alchemist is damn good and catchy, but it has the same "Ok guys, we need at least a short, rocking song" feel of The Pilgrim. And Coming Home, while being a gorgeous piece, suffers of the comparison with Out of the Shadows, they overshadow each other. This didn't happen with Journeyman and Out of the Shadows, the two ballads of two consecutive albums; different songs, different moods, there was no reason to compare them. But Out of the Shadows and Coming Home are in the same style, and so they sound redundant (as good as they are, btw).

I'll just have to see how these songs will sound live; Iron Maiden has always been the best live band of the planet and watching the whole A Matter of Life and Death album live was such an entertaining experience, even if I wasn't crazy about this album. Let's see how it goes with this one.

To sum up my looong comments about the album, I'll just say something that crossed my mind: with Dance of Death they took the good things of Brave New World, and made them better. With The Final Frontier, they took the bad things of A Matter of Life and Death and made them worse.

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: