Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Static Impulse  (Read 190417 times)
SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2010, 10:29:24 am »

From what I heard this album is gonna blow me away.

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2010, 11:23:36 am »

Shocked It's nuclear kick-ass(c) Can't wait to hear the whole album! What I heard is aggressive, powerful, bombastic metal, with amazing James' vocal. Agrh! I want the CD!
The only thing I don't like - cookie-monster vocal parts  Undecided

I know the truth is out there.

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2010, 12:03:24 pm »

From what I heard this album is gonna blow me away.

Shocked It's nuclear kick-ass(c) Can't wait to hear the whole album! What I heard is aggressive, powerful, bombastic metal, with amazing James' vocal. Agrh! I want the CD!
The only thing I don't like - cookie-monster vocal parts  Undecided
I believe you guys Wink I'm not going to listen to those samples, will wait another few weeks to hear the songs in their entirety Smiley
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:40:51 pm by Natt » Logged

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Stephanus

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:58 am »

New interview with James:

http://www.bravewords.com/news/145929

"I’m incredibly proud of this, and when Mike (Portnoy) heard it (Static Impulse) he called it was ‘phenomenal,’ which means something."

Another review:

http://www.roomthirteen.com/cd_reviews/11268/James_Labrie__Static_Impulse.html

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2010, 10:07:19 am »

Thanks, very interesting reading - and always a treat to have an insight from the man himself  Wink

"I’m incredibly proud of this, and when Mike (Portnoy) heard it (Static Impulse) he called it was ‘phenomenal,’ which means something."
I was hooked on this quote as well. Ah, can't wait to check it for myself...

“Originally I was going to do all the vocal parts,” LaBrie reveals. “The parts that Peter is doing on the record, I was going to use a more aggressive voice to try and get the same vibe across. As time went on though, we thought that given the type of album we were doing we should take things further. We decided to push things over the top and give those songs more authenticity and a more genuine feel of aggression. For a split second I thought ‘Wait a minute, I’m the singer…’ but I couldn’t let my pride get in the way. I didn’t want things to come off as being amateurish, so it made sense to use real aggressive vocals rather than my voice for those parts.
I wish James went with his 'pride' so much... BUT. At the end of the day, I can see where he decided to go musically and must admit the chosen formula really works for the album *sigh*
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:09:06 am by Natt » Logged

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2010, 03:07:32 pm »

Wow, the samples are great!! now I'm really excited for this album!!!!  Cool

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2010, 04:09:50 pm »

Just listening to another song from "Static Impulse" on a web radio station...I think the song is called "Euphoric"...and it's outstanding: great hookline, James  voice at its best, great guitar solo by Marco, better than anything Dream Theater have done since SDOIT.

I'm intrigued  Cool. How is it that Web radio are broadcasting these song tracks that are not officially released yet? Just curious, I do not listen to radio myself, to much talking and not enough good music.  Grin

there is a way to get an advanced copy to the album, but you have to be a medium of media to do it....
Yes, and it's very difficult to get a copy of the album even as a member of the media. My hubby and I have contacted the label several times to try to get an advanced copy to review for our blog, but they always ignore us.

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2010, 04:37:56 pm »

Maybe this is so early to say that but Coming Home is going to be the greatest JLB's ballad ever. From what I hear (sample) it sounds amazing.

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

Freko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2010, 07:30:59 am »

Maybe this is so early to say that but Coming Home is going to be the greatest JLB's ballad ever. From what I hear (sample) it sounds amazing.

I couldn´t agree more, 1 second before the clip ends, it´s like "whooooaaaa now it´s goin to be the best chorus ever.." I just can feel it

Alan564

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:27 am »

Hey guys proud to be a new member im soooooo psyched for this album. It will be awesome  Grin

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2010, 12:59:38 pm »

We welcome you to the Board, Alan.   Smiley

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

ashflower

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2010, 01:11:12 am »

The 30 second clips on Amazon actually put me off a bit.. not to keen on Peter's vocals. But then I listened to the two songs posted on Myspace, and I love them!

James cutting his hair IS TENS TIMES THE SHOCK OF MIKE LEAVING THE BAND TO ME!!

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2010, 09:01:42 am »

I'm not convinced by those harsh vocals either, but the rest of the clips abund with James' voice and make me more interesting for the rest of the album  Grin I guess I will be able to live with some grunts here and there amidst a multitude of James stellar performances!

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

salty

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2010, 01:27:18 pm »

I really can't wait to get my hands on this!

GatherYeRosebuds

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2010, 02:49:12 pm »

OK, screw album of the year. From the samples, I think this will be one of my favourite albums of all time!

I'm especially pumped since I fell in love with songs like Drained and Slightly Out Of Reach - knowing that there'll be more gentle, emotive tracks like that on SI has me ecstatic.

And I just pre-ordered the album! WOOOO
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:04:24 pm by GatherYeRosebuds » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: