Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Static Impulse  (Read 161684 times)
Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »

Pre-ordered Digipak today

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2010, 04:03:46 pm »

here are the times or all the tracks:

01. One More Time (4:16)
02. Jekyll Or Hyde (3:46)
03. Mislead (4:18)
04. Euphoric (5:09)
05. Over The Edge (4:20)
06. I Need You (4:11)
07. Who You Think I Am (3:57)
08. I Tried (3:58)
09. Just Watch Me (4:18)
10. This Is War (4:30)
11. Superstar (3:32)
12. Coming Home (4:29)
13. Jekyll Or Hyde (demo) (3:48) *
14. Coming Home (alternate mix) (4:23) *

*Digipack tracks

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2010, 04:19:54 pm »

Looks like the average song runtime is about 4 minutes on this one, and only 1 song over 5 mins long - that's the shortest JLB has ever done, right?
But if the 2 streaming songs are representative of the album, that's fine by me, because the tracks are really complex, dynamic and saturated and there's so much going on musically within given 4 minutes.

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".

Stephanus

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2010, 11:44:45 am »

Here is the first review of "Static Impulse". It's in german, so I try to translate at least the important parts.

Bei den ersten vierzig Sekunden des neuen James LaBrie-Albums wird so manch einer einen bangen Blick in Richtung des CD-Players werfen und sich fragen, ob er nicht versehentlich eine falsche Scheibe eingepackt bekommen hat. (When you listen to the first 40 seconds of the album, you maybe think that you've bought the wrong album...but you haven't.)

Ich kann euch beruhigen. Das hat schon seine Richtigkeit. Wer zu "Static Impulse" ja sagt, erlebt eine faustdicke Überraschung und darf sich auf Einiges gefasst machen. (But calm down. It's the right one. "Static Impulse is a big surprise. Be prepared!)

Der Opener One More Time ist durchaus repräsentativ für den Großteils des gesamten Albums. Technisch beeindruckender, aggressiver moderner Heavy Metal, der Parallelen zum Göteborger Melodic Death und Bands wie IN FLAMES oder DARK TRANQUILLITY aufweist, in Verbindung mit typischen LaBrie beziehungsweise DREAM THEATER-Markenzeichen. (One more time, the opening song of the album, is representative of the album. The music is technically amazing, modern and aggressive, and sometimes it sounds like IN FLAMES or DARK TRANQUILITY. But LaBrie's famous trademark voice you probably know from Dream Theater, is always there.)

Daran werden einige Fans schwer zu schlucken haben, zumal die Growls, die DARKANE-Drummer Peter Wildoer beisteuert, nicht einfach nur schmückendes Beiwerk sind, sondern oft genau so viel Raum einnehmen wie James melodische Gesangslinien. (Some of the fans may have to accect the fact that the growls by Darkane's drummer Peter Wildoer are not only accessories. In some of the songs they are very present.)

"Static Impulse" verfolgt den selben Ansatz wie "Train Of Thoughts". Der typische Sound wird in einen möglichst harten, metallischen Kontext gerückt, doch wo DREAM THEATER sich in einem Irrgarten ausladender, vertrackter - ja teilweise unhörbarer - Kompositionen verirrten, gibt es bei James LaBrie die geschliffene, bodenständige Variante. (The album follows the same path as "Train Of Thought". The music is heavy, but instead of getting hopelessly lost in a labyrinth of unenjoyable compositions (like Dream Theater), LaBrie delivers something like a down-to-earth version of it.)

Die Songs verzichten auf unnötigen Ballast, sind knackig und kompakt gehalten und dennoch mit progressiven Details gespickt, dass es eine wahre Freude ist. Da landet der Sänger auf seinem Solowerk einen deutlichen Punktsieg über seine Stammband, weil er stets songdienlicher und nachvollziehbarer bleibt. Wo DREAM THEATER um des Schlenkers willen einen Schlenker einbauen, üben sich LaBrie und seine Mitstreiter in sinnvollem Verzicht. (The songs are compact but at the same time very progressive. It's amazing and better than Dream Theater's latest efforts. "Less is more!" is sometimes the motto of the album.)

Auf den ‚Progressive Death Metal Core' muss man sich einlassen, und dass ein Album wie dieses ein paar Hördurchgänge mehr benötigt, versteht sich fast von selbst. Es lohnt sich allerdings! "Static Impulse" erweist sich nicht nur das bislang härteste Solowerk von James LaBrie, es entpuppt sich bei Songs wie Misled oder dem großartigen This Is War auch als sehr eingängig. (You have to get yourself into the progressive death metal core thing, and you probably have to listen to the album several times. But at the end of the day, it's not only the heaviest album, it's also very catchy. Songs like "This is war" or "Misled" are simply amazing.

Und wer sich partout nicht mit den Growls anfreunden kann oder will, dem sei verraten, dass die Scheibe auch vereinzelte Nummern wie beispielsweise I Tried oder die reinrassigen Ballade Coming Home enthält, die ohne dieses umstrittene Stilmittel auskommen. (Some of the songs don't containt any growls (I Tried and Coming Home which is a ballad.)

Damit geht auch noch die Vielseitigkeitsprüfung an den Kanadier und schon ist "Static Impulse" eins der Alben des Jahres 2010, die man unbedingt gehört haben muss. (Static Impulse is very versatile and one of the best albums in 2010.)

Source: http://www.hooked-on-music.de/CD-Reviews2/James_LaBrie/Static_Impulse.html?band_id=3103
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:08:35 pm by Stephanus » Logged

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2010, 07:03:26 am »

Looking forward to what is to come.  Wink

If the mind can find no meaning, then the senses give it.
http://www.reverbnation.com/fan/anitamagdalenaw#!

Will.Holloway

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »

This new album (from what I heard) almost has a Trivium vibe to it, a la 'The Crusade'. That's a big plus because that album is in my top 10 albums list, if you will.

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2010, 06:03:21 pm »

@Stephanus, thanks for the translating the review! I'm glad to hear there is a ballad. I was missing that on the last album.

Stephanus

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2010, 03:22:10 pm »

I am listening to "Over the edge" at the moment on a web radio station!!!!

And what can I say...it's the best song so far: very melodic and progressive! I love it!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

And...no growls!

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »

I am listening to "Over the edge" at the moment on a web radio station!!!!

And what can I say...it's the best song so far: very melodic and progressive! I love it!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

And...no growls!
Seems there are a couple of no-scream songs on the record after all... nice change

Stephanus

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2010, 04:38:43 am »

The first review in english ...

“Static Impulse” is the second solo album from Dream Theater frontman James Labrie. Personally, I’m not a Dream Theater fan, nor am I big lover of Prog Rock, so I was interested to find out what James Labrie could produce as a solo project.

Powerful, aggressive, raw, “Static Impulse” screams attitude from the opening note. Vocally flexible, Labrie switches from his singing voice to metal voice in the blink of an eye, this unpredictability adding a certain excitement to the album, leaving the listener unsure what to expect next.

From start to finish, the album is full of energy; the pace and intricacy of the guitar shredding is incredible, particularly notable on ‘Jekyll or Hyde’ - the hurricane of notes completely blew me away! There’s no opportunity to stop and catch your breath, this is a musical rollercoaster from start to finish. Add to this the incredibly strong vocal contribution from Labrie and you begin to understand the maelstrom that is “Static Impulse”.

The closest the album gets to a laid-back tune is ‘Euphoric’, which slows the tempo quite substantially and Labrie lets the emotion flow. By far my favourite song of the album, it felt to me as though the bravado had been stripped away and the listener was given a sneaky peek at the man behind the music. The soaring guitar melodies were still there, but there was something much more personal about this song that touched me and stayed in my mind long after the album had finished. Special mention should also be made of final song ‘Coming Home’, which actually succeeded in bringing a tear to my eye.

What I love best about “Static Impulse” is that it will appeal to a diverse audience; yes, it is essentially a heavy rock album, but it’s melodic enough to appeal to those who prefer their music a little easier on the ears. There are a lot of catchy songs, which you will find yourself humming along with before you even realise you are doing it.

James Labrie, to me, has produced a belter of an album in “Static Impulse”. I could listen to this over and over again and still find quirky new things to impress me. This one’s going to be in the CD player for a long time to come yet!

Source: http://www.rockingmusic.co.uk/content/node/1349

Stephanus

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2010, 06:57:25 am »

Just listening to another song from "Static Impulse" on a web radio station...I think the song is called "Euphoric"...and it's outstanding: great hookline, James  voice at its best, great guitar solo by Marco, better than anything Dream Theater have done since SDOIT.

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2010, 07:22:12 am »

Just listening to another song from "Static Impulse" on a web radio station...I think the song is called "Euphoric"...and it's outstanding: great hookline, James  voice at its best, great guitar solo by Marco, better than anything Dream Theater have done since SDOIT.

I'm intrigued  Cool. How is it that Web radio are broadcasting these song tracks that are not officially released yet? Just curious, I do not listen to radio myself, to much talking and not enough good music.  Grin

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2010, 01:47:40 pm »

I'm intrigued  Cool. How is it that Web radio are broadcasting these song tracks that are not officially released yet? Just curious, I do not listen to radio myself, to much talking and not enough good music.  Grin

there is a way to get an advanced copy to the album, but you have to be a medium of media to do it....

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2010, 02:49:13 pm »

there is a way to get an advanced copy to the album, but you have to be a medium of media to do it....

Thanks for that Ash.

Stephanus

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2010, 09:59:23 am »

http://www.amazon.de/Static-Impulse-James-Labrie/dp/B003YUBUFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283781476&sr=8-2

30 second clips online!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: