Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: What book are you reading right now?  (Read 182951 times)
Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2010, 02:39:03 pm »

I have not read `Jekyll and Hyde` I have watched films and documentarys on it though, that has to be a long while back though. I am more so drawn to dark things,  not just gothic but anything along those line, I am a practicing Witch though  Wink

Shamefully, there doesn't seem to be a smiley for "what, seriously?!", but rest assured I'm very curious! What does that involve, if you don't mind me asking?

A Traditional Witch follows there own path, some believe in Gods/Godesses but I am totally agnostic and follow no religion, I was also born with a veil it is termed as a `Caulbearer` not many have heard of this. There is a lot to know and learn, and most of it comes from inside oneself.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:51:56 pm by Magdalena63 » Logged

If the mind can find no meaning, then the senses give it.
http://www.reverbnation.com/fan/anitamagdalenaw#!

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2010, 02:45:23 pm »

it's just the way they got all those book heroes merged together that got me cringy
Mm, I do take your point...Tom Sawyer and Captain Nemo?  Huh
Allan Quatermain and Dorian Gray, Mina Harker that turns out to be a vampire, The Invisible Man and Dr Jekyll... I was almost insulted by the way they wiped their butts with so many great books

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2010, 02:45:56 pm »

A Traditional Witch follows there own path, some believe in Gods/Godesses but I am totally agnostic and follow no religion, I was also born with a veil it is termed as a `Caulbearer` not many have heard of this. There is a lot to know and learn, and most of it comes from inside ones self.

I have heard of cauls, and I remember something about them being considered lucky in the Middle Ages, but I don't know what it would mean for you. Smiley

Caulbearers were burnt at the stake as Witches many moons ago. Sailors used to buy the Cauls and wear them as a lucky amulet around their neck, as it is said a Caulbearer will never drown, myth and legend say they are Psychic and healers, there is much more, to much to put here lol.

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »

Caulbearers were burnt at the stake as Witches many moons ago. Sailors used to buy the Cauls and wear them as a lucky amulet around their neck, as it is said a Caulbearer will never drown, myth and legend say they are Psychic and healers, there is much more, to much to put here lol.
Embarrassed

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I seem to remember that it's quite unusual to be born with a caul, isn't it?

My pleasure, it is very rare, more so now with C-Section births, it used to be that there was one born in every 80,000 births now it is one in every 100,000. There is a lot on the net about Caulbearers and Trad Witchcraft, the occult world is very vast in variety, more so than people realise.  Wink

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2010, 03:10:42 pm »

My pleasure, it is very rare, more so now with C-Section births, it used to be that there was one born in every 80,000 births now it is one in every 100,000. There is a lot on the net about Caulbearers and Trad Witchcraft, the occult world is very vast in variety, more so than people realise.  Wink

It does sound very interesting...though that may be partly because I'm in the middle of a scientific degree, so everything that doesn't involve statistics seems extra-fascinating!  Cheesy

Quantum Physics plays along the same lines as some of TW work, only Witches were working with it hundreds of years before Quantum Physics came along, Traditional Witches also work with herbs ect.  Wink

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2010, 03:22:58 pm »

That's not something I've heard before - what sort of aspects of quantum physics? (Bearing in mind I have only a nodding acquaintance with the subject from high school, you can make it up if you're feeling mischievous today!)

I have read some Quantum Physics, mainly about the success of manifesting your dreams and desires, but regarding TW, we had a thread about both in the forum I am a member of, I shall have a quick look to see what I can find to explain it. BRB.

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2010, 03:33:07 pm »

I have read some Quantum Physics, mainly about the success of manifesting your dreams and desires, but regarding TW, we had a thread about both in the forum I am a member of, I shall have a quick look to see what I can find to explain it. BRB.

Oh hey, don't go to too much trouble on account of my nosiness! Though if you're procrastinating from something, don't let me stand in your way Wink

Well I was trying to avoid a conversation with my son about a fishing hook and weight LOL. I have found the thread, it is titled "Spiritual Reintegration,Science and Mysticism" the write up is massive, I have read it all sometime ago, it was very interesting, there is to much to flood this forum with, but if you are interested in anything, just give me a shout and I will pm you what I can.  Smiley

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2010, 05:48:22 pm »

If you mean the fishing hook and weight convo, totally boring unless you love fishing LOL.
The thread is mainly based on Quantum Mechanics.

Chat soon.

Anita  Smiley

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2010, 03:27:13 pm »

I've been getting into an urban fantasy kick lately.

Me too! Any recommendations? Smiley
My husband loves all of the books by Jim Butcher. He's got a series called the Dresden Files, I think. I haven't read any of those yet, but you might want to give them a try. My favorite urban fantasy author right now is Karen Marie Moning. It's urban fantasy with a side of paranormal romance. She wrote several straight up romance novels, which I wouldn't recommend unless you're into that sort of thing. But her Fever series is completely addictive. There is another author, Emma Bull, who wrote a book that everybody raves about called The War of the Oaks. I haven't read that one yet, but I have read another book of hers called Territory. It's a fantasy/Western novel. Pretty interesting. I've found that it's kind of hard to find good urban fantasy books. A lot of them are similar to each other, or badly written. But yeah, if you have any suggestions for me, let me know!

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2010, 06:45:09 pm »

Alan Wolfe's "Does American Democracy Still Work?"
T.W. Rolleston's "Celtic Myths and Legends"

Yup, they have nothing to do with each other. No worries. Tongue

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

Mélie

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 06:33:01 am »

I've just over The Star Rover, from Jack London, in English. I read it in French long time ago (I'm French). I like that book so much...
Now, I'm gonna read another book that I read some years ago, that's not so interesting but I don't why, I think about that story quite often... I'll read it in English too: A Great and Terrible Beauty, from Libba Bray... It's teenager's style, I guess, maybe I won't enjoy that reading... but well... I felt like so, we'll see!

www.singersquare.com - THE forum for you, singers!
Join us there and share your passion Smiley

Mélie

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2010, 09:29:02 am »

I do like Jack London, have since I was in primary school, but I've never read the Star Rover. Just checked it out on Wikipedia and I'm going to have to find a copy - it looks amazing!

If you are a little bit dreamy as I am and your imagination has importance for you, I'm sure you'll love that book!
Smiley

www.singersquare.com - THE forum for you, singers!
Join us there and share your passion Smiley

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010, 09:14:24 am »

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

I know the truth is out there.

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2010, 08:32:36 am »

`Alex Severin` her work is hardcore in every aspect, hence, do not read it if you are not into that sort of thing Shocked, she only writes short stories, her work is not tacky, it has depth and passion,it is art, I find what she writes very gripping, you can read her work on google ect, I won't put the link here.

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2010, 06:56:17 am »

I approached her site with a little caution, given your disclaimer (all things have their place, but hardcore anything leaves me cold on a lazy Saturday morning), but the story I read was gorgeously weird and dark. As a wannabe writer I spend a lot of time reading short stories, and I never see enough of these stream-of-consciousness type pieces, which - when done well - are really fantastic. Thanks for posting!

You are most welcome. I have a few favorites, I love the visionary her writing brings about.  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: