Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: What book are you reading right now?  (Read 85011 times)
ERiKofSWE90

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 12:14:20 pm »

What is that book about? Im intrested in Richard's book called "The God Illusion".

well it's basically "theory of evolution vs God", where  Dawkins explains origins of complexity by natural selection and such. Nice reading, but still I can't fully agree with the author.

Is these things the only thing that he writes about? For a well accomplished scinetist he is in my opinion a little to much into one argument. Whats the difference between "The God Illusion", hes newest book, and that one you reads?

And about Richard, I havent heard one idea that he has ever said that to me didnt make sense. He's the self-proclaimed "protector" of atheists, which can be kinda good for a place like america where atheists sometimes gets treated like heretics. Hes very smart, but I do find him to be kinda annoying sometimes aswell, even if I agree with him...hes a strange man!

Do you recomment hes books?

I feel much the same as you; for someone who repeatedly denounces the narrow-mindedness and illogical behaviour of religious people, he's pretty devout himself - just to a different concept. Like you, I agree with his point of view, but I dislike him.

Yes. But maybe ii has became a more personal matter for him. I can really imagine that its a big thing in hes personal life, not just in his profession. Too big, he overthinks it. But maybe he didnt choosed to have it like that.

I think one person can only be truly happy when we learn to accept the world as it is, while still offcourse wanting to change it.
Find the "flow".

I saw one interview with him in youtube when he said how bad he felt about constanly getting hate-emails from religious people all around the world who wanted him for dead and werent ashamed to tell him so openly. These people even thinks they are doing their gods a favour wishing that. I can really feel his pain in that matter.

Grin
Btw to talk about something else, one of the funniest books Ive ever laid my hands on is Douglas Adams "The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy". Read about Douglas on wikipedoa.org, he is a very funny man outside the books too. Crazy!

rest in peace Mulle 2001-2010

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 12:23:53 pm »

What is that book about? Im intrested in Richard's book called "The God Illusion".

well it's basically "theory of evolution vs God", where  Dawkins explains origins of complexity by natural selection and such. Nice reading, but still I can't fully agree with the author.

Is these things the only thing that he writes about? For a well accomplished scinetist he is in my opinion a little to much into one argument. Whats the difference between "The God Illusion", hes newest book, and that one you reads?

And about Richard, I havent heard one idea that he has ever said that to me didnt make sense. He's the self-proclaimed "protector" of atheists, which can be kinda good for a place like america where atheists sometimes gets treated like heretics. Hes very smart, but I do find him to be kinda annoying sometimes aswell, even if I agree with him...hes a strange man!

Do you recomment hes books?

I don't know the difference between the two books as I haven't read "The God Illusion" yet. Yes, I do recommend his books but being a spiritual (not religious in its full meaning) person myself I don't quite agree with his ideas because they conflict with my own views and concept of deity/universal mind  Smiley

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 02:15:10 pm »

"The Dark Tower" series was a complete waste of time for me.

I'm reading "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins.

Right now I read Darkly Dreaming Dexter, since Im a big fan of the show "Dexter". But the book isnt really as good as the show to me, but Im still enjoying it.
[/quote]

That's funny, I actually prefer the books to the TV show. You can get away with a lot more in print that you can on TV. Of course, I might also prefer the books because I read them before I watched the TV show. In any case, I like Dexter anyway I can get him - in a book or on TV Smiley

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 05:08:23 am »

All Quiet on the Western Front  by Erich Maria Remarque

Also re-re-re-reading The Labyrinths of Echo series.

I know the truth is out there.

Mistress of Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 04:41:01 am »

Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
and
Dean R. Koontz - Watchers
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:47:17 am by Mistress of Puppets » Logged

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 03:41:16 pm »

I've been reading this book called "American Woman", about a white woman who marries into an Indian tribe in the 1920s. It's not bad. I'm kind of in a book slump right now. I haven't found anything in the past couple of weeks that has really grabbed me.

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 09:39:14 pm »

I'm still working on Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves, a very disturbing novel about a family who interacts with and explores a house that is bigger inside than out and has a mind of its own. Poe's album Haunted accompanies the novel, and together, they give me the willies...in a good sort of way. Both are beautiful.

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »

I'm still working on Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves, a very disturbing novel about a family who interacts with and explores a house that is bigger inside than out and has a mind of its own. Poe's album Haunted accompanies the novel, and together, they give me the willies...in a good sort of way. Both are beautiful.

wow, that sounds like a fascinating book. I was reading about it on Wikipedia just now. It sounds like something I definitely want to check out.

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 03:41:40 pm »

wow, that sounds like a fascinating book. I was reading about it on Wikipedia just now. It sounds like something I definitely want to check out.
second to this. Sounds intriguing and worth checking out

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 10:55:56 pm »

Hehe, I actually finished it this morning. My recommendation to you is that you follow every footnote and appendix reference - they'll all come back full circle by the end of the actual story. It may seem tedious, but they're like puzzle pieces.

I still can't get over what a labor of love this novel must have been for Danielewski to write. It's incredible and inspiring, and sad all at once.

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

ERiKofSWE90

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 08:28:47 am »

I've been reading this well-written book about the Tiger tanks:

As Ive always been intrested in war vechicles, this book is very intresting. It's about the legendary Tiger tanks that was buildt by Germany during WWII.

The Tiger 1 tank was at the time is was launched on the battlefield the most dangerous and most modern fighting vehicle in the world and quickly gained the reputaion of being "un-destroyable" and "un-stoppable" which coused serious panic on all fronts at the early stages of the war.
Althrough the Allied army and the Red army after some years learned to build weapons and tanks capable take on the Tiger it remained one of the most deadly tanks through out the war.

Most of this book is about the Tiger 1 tank, but it also describes the Tiger II tank, which was suppose to be an improvement but is mostly concidered a failure.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wanna learn some warfare history!

rest in peace Mulle 2001-2010

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 12:29:54 pm »

"Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett. Saying Terry Pratchett is enough to describe the book, right?

A couple of dozen Discworld book still to read, and can't wait to read them all! The man's a genius.

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 12:48:34 pm »

"Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett. Saying Terry Pratchett is enough to describe the book, right?

A couple of dozen Discworld book still to read, and can't wait to read them all! The man's a genius.

Weird, I just started Mort. Again.

I've read Mort twice by now. First in Russian, then in English. The translation doesn't stand a chance. I won't waste my time on translations of Pratchett any more

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 12:51:52 pm »

"Moominland Midwinter" by Tove Jansson

I know the truth is out there.

Magdalena63

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 01:33:30 pm »

The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by `J.R.Ward`

Vampire stories.

Anita.

If the mind can find no meaning, then the senses give it.
http://www.reverbnation.com/fan/anitamagdalenaw#!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: