Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Singing lessons and children  (Read 33523 times)
Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:49 am »

Thanks, Lady - Friends!
Some great insights here - I am happy I started this thread.....
@ Caroline - Yeah, Victoria has a play microphone (Hannah Montana mic) and Glenn gave her a cheap mic that he doesn't use anymore and she keeps it in the car to "pretend" to be a rock star while she sings to the music in the car.  And yeah, Wither is SUPER popular here, but still not as popular as I Walk Beside You.  LOL!!!  She even does that upward "swoop" of the note on the end of "You" on the chorus that James does.  It's hilarious, but we don't laugh in front of her..... Wink
@ Eva - thanks for the advice!  I will let you know if it' the same Ferryman.  She brings her music home today, so I will look at the lyrics and let you know.....I don't normally hear evidence of her straining her voice, but I will be more attentive now....
@ Sue - I agree with you FULLY.  My mom always had the radio on in the house.  Granted, it was Italian music, but anyway....and my brother (whom is 9yrs older than me) played the drums...so music was always on in the house.  That's why I keep the radio on too....so she can "soak it up". 

This is great!   Grin

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 01:38:41 pm »

I'm picturing Vic being a mini James LaBrie and it's awesome. Yay for kids who like Dream Theater! ::squee::

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 01:46:06 pm »

I'm picturing Vic being a mini James LaBrie and it's awesome. Yay for kids who like Dream Theater! ::squee::

Wow, you've got strong imagination! I can't imagine kids with beard like James'. Grin

I know the truth is out there.

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 01:58:54 pm »

Wow, you've got strong imagination! I can't imagine kids with beard like James'. Grin

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

its like those episodes of George Lopez when he makes his child self have his big head Tongue

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 02:39:55 pm »

Yeah, well you haven't met my girl yet!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy 
She (of course) is into Hannah Montana / Miley Cyrus the most.  (Like most girls her age are....); but her musical tastes so far are more on the "rock" side...she likes her Cha Cha Slide and stuff, but hey...she's only 6 and a half! 
@ nicoli - She likes Demi too - I am thinking I like Demi more as well...I know you mentioned you liked her material too.  She cracks me up on "Sonny With A Chance"!

I actually spoke to her teacher today!   I was waiting at the school and she was coming in before lunch, and I spoke with her.  She tells me that Victoria is always there to put her $0.02 in, and  geez, I wonder who she takes after/?Huh
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  But I asked her how she was doing, and she assured me that they are enjoying their singing lessons VERY much......yay!!!!  Some good news for a change this year!

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

She (of course) is into Hannah Montana / Miley Cyrus the most.  (Like most girls her age are....); but her musical tastes so far are more on the "rock" side...she likes her Cha Cha Slide and stuff, but hey...she's only 6 and a half! 
@ nicoli - She likes Demi too - I am thinking I like Demi more as well...I know you mentioned you liked her material too.  She cracks me up on "Sonny With A Chance"!

I actually spoke to her teacher today!   I was waiting at the school and she was coming in before lunch, and I spoke with her.  She tells me that Victoria is always there to put her $0.02 in, and  geez, I wonder who she takes after/?Huh
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  But I asked her how she was doing, and she assured me that they are enjoying their singing lessons VERY much......yay!!!!  Some good news for a change this year!

i wish my music exprience while i was in school was as good as hers....

in elementary school music was taken out when i reached 4th grade, middle school our band director was fired my 6th grade year, then i was stuck with the same director from 7th til the second to last semester of High school (I quit band my last semester of high school because of the director and my section) now i'm in college doing the marching band, and while that is fun there is a huge divide of those who are doing that for just the marching and those who are favored because they can afford the time and money to do the other band related things.... its rather sad

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 05:14:35 pm »

Didn't you post some links of yourself playing here?  I thought you did..... Huh
Nonetheless...the fact that you reach Suzuki says enough for me.....thanks for the support.... Grin
* Donna slides you down a platter of loaded nachos

Nachos... yummy!
I am not sure who posted the videos. There was a guy on the Portnoy forum a while back who posted videos of himself playing violin, maybe he posted some here too? Anyway, it certainly wasn't me because I'm a girl  Wink

nicoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 06:24:12 pm »

Demi Lovato is the AWESOME. She's kinda my hero, which is weird, because she's about six years YOUNGER than I am. Tongue Sonny With A Chance is actually a pretty funny show! I was impressed, and I think it really showcases Demi as an actress, more so than in the made-for-TV movies she's done. Even so, I can't wait for Camp Rock 2. Wink

One of these days, Disney needs to let her record her solo material (the stuff she actually wrote by herself). I'm curious to hear what she sounds like without all of the Kara DioGuardi/Jonas Brothers influence.

But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
'Cause you know

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 07:25:19 pm »

Nachos... yummy!
I am not sure who posted the videos. There was a guy on the Portnoy forum a while back who posted videos of himself playing violin, maybe he posted some here too? Anyway, it certainly wasn't me because I'm a girl  Wink

YES, you are right!!!  I got you and Violin Theater mixed up.  I am such a dodo.   And I apologize, VdV.   Sad So sorry for the mix up!!!  HOWEVER....it doesn't change the fact that you are very talented.   Smiley 

@ Ash - you know, her school DOESN'T have a music program.  There just isn't enough cash in the school funding to allot for music....however....there is some for sports.... Roll Eyes  So this is all coming out of OUR pocket.  It's us whom are providing the music lessons for her....not really the school.  This lady presented her idea to the school, and it's an extra fee.  But it's totally worth it, IMHO.   Wink

@ nicoli - yeah, I think I like watching that show more than Victoria does! Cheesy  And much as I LOVE Disney (I really do!); they do need to loosen their strings on Demi.  I know Miley probably can't wait to cut herself off, so I am sure Demi and Selena feel the same.  However, don't bite the hand that feeds you, right?   Cheesy

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 12:12:03 pm »

@ Ash - you know, her school DOESN'T have a music program.  There just isn't enough cash in the school funding to allot for music....however....there is some for sports.... Roll Eyes  So this is all coming out of OUR pocket.  It's us whom are providing the music lessons for her....not really the school.  This lady presented her idea to the school, and it's an extra fee.  But it's totally worth it, IMHO.   Wink

I didn't even have THAT option while I was in school... While in Australia, had I started playing something then, I could have had lessons as part of my class work, it wold have been nice...

Phsx2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 07:53:34 am »

I'm a Suzuki violin teacher, and part of the Suzuki philosophy is that it is best to begin musical education as early as possible. Early childhood music classes (without instruments) which explore singing, dancing, and tapping rhythms, can begin for children as young as six months old. The ideal time for many children to begin learning how to play an instrument can be between the ages of three and five. It totally depends on the child and his or her readiness. I myself have started children as young as four years old. I can't speak for singing, since I'm in instrumentalist, but I would guess that your daughter is a good age to begin voice lessons. It sounds like you have a lot of the essential components for success - a child who wants to learn, a caring parent (you), and a wonderful teacher. As long as you and your daughter are enjoying yourselves, you're doing the right thing!

Sorry for the thread jack but i couldn't help but laugh at this. I mean seriously 'Suzuki' comon its a bike manufacturer

"Of all the space bars, in all the universe... You had to end up in mine."

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 08:24:21 am »

No......the Suzuki music school is well renowned, and it's been around for many years. 
http://www.suzukiorff.org/index.html 
They spring the most talented children. 

....and by the way....not all motorcycles are Suzuki......Our Honda rocks.... Wink

nicoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 08:48:38 am »

No......the Suzuki music school is well renowned, and it's been around for many years. 

...Debatably. Wink

But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
'Cause you know

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 09:36:22 am »

LOL!!!  Well, they are way more talented than I can dream to be..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 05:07:04 pm »

...Debatably. Wink

Just to go into my Suzuki teacher mode for a second... the founder of the Suzuki method, Dr. Suzuki, believes that talent is not inborn but rather something that any child can develop with lots of work and practice. It's a great idea in theory, although sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Anyway, Suzuki teacher mode off Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: