Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Language Corner Thread  (Read 33704 times)
Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:27:33 pm »

This came out of the idea we've been tossing around in various threads and since some people (you know who I'm talkin' about) think it deserves its own thread - here it is!
A thread where we can share our experience and thoughts about the languages we speak/study/would like to learn =)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:28:57 am by Natt » Logged

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

betty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:48:12 pm »

Good idea Natt!!!
I'd like to learn more about your languages....
Just for starting...Buon Natale a tutti!!!!!

Arkabarca

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:43:54 pm »

Uhhhh Betty ...very easy  Wink ... in spanish: "FELIZ NAVIDAD A TODOS"! ...russian?  Roll Eyes

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 05:13:51 am »

in Russian: Счастливого Рождества всем! =)

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".

Eva
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 05:21:53 am »

in German: Frohe Weihnachten euch allen!!

in Arabic: عيد ميلاد مجيد!
(= 3yd mylad mjid)
(just for you to know... my arabic is not the best and there are huge differences in the dialects, but I try to give my best Wink From me you can only get Moroccon or Algerian.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:45:00 am by Eva » Logged

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 06:40:32 am »

in Polish: Wesołych Świąt!

does anyone else speak Polish here?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:49:08 am by Natt » Logged

Arkabarca

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 10:38:51 am »

does anyone else speak Polish here?

Nop Tongue ...

Ok, ok...everything is nice but we should be separate word by word and maybe we´ll learn it better (IMHO)

FELIZ = MERRY
NAVIDAD= CHRISTMAS
A= TO
TODOS= EVERYONE

Eva
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:16:33 am »

in German: Frohe Weihnachten euch allen!!

in Arabic: ! عيد ميلاد مجيد
(= 3yd mylad mjid)
(just for you to know... my arabic is not the best and there are huge differences in the dialects, but I try to give my best Wink From me you can only get Moroccon or Algerian.)

ok then, word by word:

German:
Frohe = Happy / merry
Weihnachten = Christmas
euch = you
allen = all

Arabic:
عيد = feast
ميلاد = Birthday ^^
مجيد = glorious

Actually... they don't have christmas Wink

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 05:40:27 pm »

Wat grappig... nou, dan zal ik maar iets in het Nederlands schrijven  Grin

Iedereen alvast een paar fijne Kerstdagen! Cheesy

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:47:34 pm »

Just one thing I've been trying to figure out about Dutch pronunciation: the "ij" sound is like a short "i" in English, right? (For example, in the word "in"?)

I've been trying to decode some Dutch...all of the episodes of the Gilmore Girls I've been watching have Dutch subtitles, and it's fun to try to guess which words are which. Smiley

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 07:34:19 am »

I love learning languages!

My native is Spanish and I learned English on my own since I was a kid, just absorbing it from the movies and, of course, the music. I recall Styx's "Kilroy Was Here" as my main English teacher hehehe, as I sang along reading the lyrics and learning how to pronounce. When I was 20, my stepfahter offered to pay me an English course to make it better, so I took a test and they put me on the final levels of the course Smiley

However, due to my Italian heritage, I always wanted to learn this language, but somehow was always lazy to learn another language than English, until I decided to move to Germany and began learning German while still in my country. I also took some basic Czech lessons because a friend of mine who loves Slavic languages found a cheap course in the Czech Embassy. It didn't last long and I also decided to focus more on my German, but that time learning Czech left me knowing one of my favorite singers, Lenka Dusilová, of whom I'm a big fan and now know personally.

After moving to Germany I have kept on learning German, but I also started (finally!) learning Italian and now I'm also taking Russian lessons  Grin

Greetings,
Henry

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:58:55 am »

I love learning languages!

My native is Spanish and I learned English on my own since I was a kid, just absorbing it from the movies and, of course, the music. I recall Styx's "Kilroy Was Here" as my main English teacher hehehe, as I sang along reading the lyrics and learning how to pronounce. When I was 20, my stepfahter offered to pay me an English course to make it better, so I took a test and they put me on the final levels of the course Smiley

However, due to my Italian heritage, I always wanted to learn this language, but somehow was always lazy to learn another language than English, until I decided to move to Germany and began learning German while still in my country. I also took some basic Czech lessons because a friend of mine who loves Slavic languages found a cheap course in the Czech Embassy. It didn't last long and I also decided to focus more on my German, but that time learning Czech left me knowing one of my favorite singers, Lenka Dusilová, of whom I'm a big fan and now know personally.

After moving to Germany I have kept on learning German, but I also started (finally!) learning Italian and now I'm also taking Russian lessons  Grin

Sounds like you'll be able to read directions on pretty much any "classical" musical score written between 1650 and 1950. Tongue Ever think about being a conductor?

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

Arkabarca

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 10:41:16 am »

@ Hprog: What time do you eat or have fun? Have you friends?  Grin Grin Grin ... I suffer just with my native language  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:44:23 am by Arkabarca » Logged

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 11:46:10 am »

Nicoli: LOL it's kind of late for me to really learn music theory properly (I'm 33).

Arkabarca: I don't devote thaaaat much time to the learning of the languages. If I would, I could easily speak a lot more, but sometimes I'm still too lazy  Sad

Greetings,
Henry

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 12:31:18 pm »

Wow, you're taking Russian lessons? that's very cool, I've always wondered if learning Russian as a foreign language is tough or not =) I remember trying to teach my then-employer Russian (he was British) and completely failing at it  Cheesy he's been living in Ukraine for 7 years now and he still knows no more than a few basic Russian words

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: