Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Astonishing--Album review  (Read 3547 times)
Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2016, 07:59:34 pm »

So how many times have you all listened to it by now...? I certainly (at least at this time) don't feel I need to make an extensive review. It's over 2hrs of so much to absorb. But here are my first thoughts:
     To say that this is Dream Theater's most ambitious work of all time would be the understatement of the century.
Every time I will continue to listen to this album it will be very hard to not listen to each disc all the way through. In many ways, it does not feel that there are really any separate songs....It's like listening to one 130 minute track. James gives the absolute most stellar performance of his entire career. He sings in the stratosphere it seems the majority of the album, which I could not be happier for--in fact, he really outshines the rest of the band, and each song. The lyrics are so extensive that as I listened and followed through the booklet, I could only constantly think, "wow James probably will not be walking off stage very many times for any instrumentals, since there are not very many at all." I will openly admit, for me personally, the prog metal side of Dream Theater is throughly lacking through out. When I first read 'The Astonishing' would be a prog "rock" (and not labeled metal) opera I was a bit nervous and apprehensive. But James gives us all the most crazy operatic vocal eargasms he has ever unleashed, so the lacking in the head banging department of the overall album is a worthy trade off.

Xander -- What have you done/You murderer/My father's dead/ Your day will come

Seriously??!! I must have skipped the back track 6 times to listen to that again and again before I could continue....I know James is the most humble man anywhere...but...he is just inhuman.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:50:29 pm by Asianhawk » Logged

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Mullmuzzler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 05:37:26 pm »

My CDs arrived this morning - just kicking off now.

JMcE.

Mullmuzzler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:04:50 pm »

M y   g  Shocked  Shocked d n e s s !

Much too much to digest in one hearing - just can't wait to hear
this 'live' at the London Palladium next month!

KUDOS and BRAVO to DT for such an ambitious project ... and
those bagpipes/uilleann pipes - pure 'Braveheart'!

JLB - star of the show!  Cool

JMcE.

Mullmuzzler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 04:48:24 pm »

JLB - star of the show!  Cool

JMcE.

Repeating myself - STAR of the show! ... EXCELLENT!

'Brother, Can You Hear Me?' is the new 'Battle Hymn Of The Republic'!

JMcE.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:43:52 pm »

As ridiculously amazing and complex as the new music is--JLB is most certainly the star of the album! He is the consummate frontman, and with the new double album he is front and center; no doubt that he will steal each and every performance.

I have to add though-- with the NEXT record (obviously a good 2 years away) James, John M., and Mike should write the whole album.  Grin

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 06:49:55 pm »

Soooooooo ummmmmm how the heck has there not been at least a dozen people commenting on what they think of the new album?
Is this a bad thing? Are a lot of you staying silent because you respectfully dislike it?
In the past, with each DT release day, it seems by only the end of the day there are 2 or 3 pages of comments.

Did I miss the rapture or something....?? Where is everyone??!

-- William Faulkner

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:03 pm »

LOL!  No...Rapture hasn't happened yet..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I have to go get my copy tomorrow from HMV at our Mills Mall....had to order it as I missed out on release day.  They sold out, I was told.  I suppose I could have ordered it on iTunes, but I really am old school and want the actual CD with case, and booklet with lyrics in hand. 
There were a couple of links on Youtube that I was quelling myself with, but yesterday they were taken down due to copyright.  I made it through over half the CD, and I have to reserve myself until I give it a GOOD listen. 

Peace....

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

calarob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 12:58:08 pm »

I actually sought out to see if there was a James LaBrie website just to express my feelings.

Of all the work James has done, this is nothing short of INCREDIBLE.   

I have been a fan since their first album, so I have been around.   My Son was involved in his Drama Club in high school and he was fortunate to have landed two lead roles in his 4 years of involvement.  I believe the experience of watching his musicals on stage prepared me to truly appreciate this album on several levels.

I play this every day at work in my headphones, and I cant get over how awesome this is, and how incredible James sounds.

Evegret

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 12:35:49 pm »

I'm still waiting for my CD... And I won't listen to anything on the internet before I hold it in my hands Wink Date of delivery: 17-22th of february  Roll Eyes

La vie est belle!

schming

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 09:45:14 pm »

James OWNS this album. I can’t stop listening to this. I’m blown away. It’s one of the best things they’ve done.  It’s not just another Dream Theater album. It’s a fairly traditional stage musical soundtrack but done ‘Dream Theater’ style.
Great music and those vocals! Different distinct sounding characters all done by James. Needless to say, the performance of his career. Powerful and tender songs. Very emotional. 
A lot of fans won’t be able to get past the “ WTF is this?”. They’ve opened a new door to creativity and are aiming at a wider audience. Si fi/fantasy-hard rock-musical fans.
I’m not aware of anything out there like this. Very unique and done sooo well. I think this has a chance of being a successful stage musical with a full cast of actors/singers, which is what I think they want to do.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they get another Grammy nomination for this. Bravo!

trudy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 04:32:30 am »

I heard all the songs in astonishing album and I like their song Dystopian Overture.

vikali

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 06:04:48 am »

So how many times have you all listened to it by now...? I certainly (at least at this time) don't feel I need to make an extensive review. It's over 2hrs of so much to absorb. But here are my first thoughts: my best choice
     To say that this is Dream Theater's most ambitious work of all time would be the understatement of the century. a good overview
Every time I will continue to listen to this album it will be very hard to not listen to each disc all the way through. In many ways, it does not feel that there are really any separate songs....It's like listening to one 130 minute track. James gives the absolute most stellar performance of his entire career. He sings in the stratosphere it seems the majority of the album, which I could not be happier for--in fact, he really outshines the rest of the band, and each song. The lyrics are so extensive that as I listened and followed through the booklet, I could only constantly think, "wow James probably will not be walking off stage very many times for any instrumentals, since there are not very many at all." I will openly admit, for me personally, the prog metal side of Dream Theater is throughly lacking through out. When I first read 'The Astonishing' would be a prog "rock" (and not labeled metal) opera I was a bit nervous and apprehensive. But James gives us all the most crazy operatic vocal eargasms he has ever unleashed, so the lacking in the head banging department of the overall album is a worthy trade off.

Xander -- What have you done/You murderer/My father's dead/ Your day will come

Seriously??!! I must have skipped the back track 6 times to listen to that again and again before I could continue....I know James is the most humble man anywhere...but...he is just inhuman.

I got mine 2 weeks ago and have to agree with you it's definitely their best work yet. It's one of those albums you need to listen to more than once to fully appreciate it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:09:46 pm by vikali » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: