Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Help, he's my brother, but I f@#k her" - 10 years of Scenes from a Memory!!!  (Read 10057 times)
Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:44:54 pm »

Well, here we are: 10 years ago one of the timeless masterpieces of music was released, Metropolis part II: Scenes from a Memory!!!!  Grin Cool

I remember vividly that day - I had become a fan over the year, and I still didn't have a proper internet access, so this was my first new album as a fan, and all I knew was that on this day of 1999 "the new Dream Theater album" would have been released. I go to the store based on the very good impression I had of the band (I mean, I was so decided to buy it anyway on faith, I knew it would have been good), and looked the store for it: where it is, where it is, let's look, let's look, oh, there it is...

...and then I saw the title.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Can you even imagine, those of you old enough to have lived a world without constant internet access, the huge and insane amount of surprise of discovering that "the new DT album" was in its entirety the part II to Metropolis?Huh and going home, listening to the album and hearing a godly masterpiece from start to finish??? the unparalleled emotions of that day, and the mix of the huge surprise of the title coupled with the awesome excellence of the album itself, make me consider it symbolically (of course you can't really give a proper and grounded answer on this) "my favorite album" EVER made. Never I will ever experience this combination of the surprise with the sheer quality of any album (thanks Internet!!!  Tongue), so SFAM will forever remain for me "the best album ever made".

I listened to it all today of course, now crank it up too and pretend it's 1999 again  Cool

Without love, without hope
You can eat my ass and balls...

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:54:52 pm »

I was 11 at the time of its release... and never heard of it until 2005.

But I do agree about the "best album ever made" part.

Happy birthday to my  absolute all-time favorite album!

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

CallingMeBackToMyHome

From a god to god save me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:24:17 pm »

Happy Birthday Scenes From A Memory!!! Grin

The fifth Dream Theater album I've ever bought. My very first is Systematic Chaos (which would tell you I haven't been a fan for all that long). I actually love Systematic Chaos, although many others consider it a disappointment. For me, it's impossible to decide my favourite DT album. Scenes is definitely up there, my favourite song off of it being Home (well just look at my username Wink).

Nobody Does It Better Than James Labrie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmIVGLrPJQQ

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:02:46 pm »

Yes, indeed Andrea!!  Cheesy

I remember the first time I listened to it. On my bed, curtains closed, lights oud, headphones on. Pure magic. I was driven to tears from the emotion telling me just this: wow, this is magically awesome!Grin

CallingMeBackToMyHome

From a god to god save me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:19:35 pm »

Without love, without hope
You can eat my ass and balls...

LOL. Gotta love Portnoy. I also love doing for As I Am:

To the doubtful I demand
EAT MY ASS AND BALLS

Nobody Does It Better Than James Labrie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmIVGLrPJQQ

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:00:26 pm »

I may not have been aware of DT when SFAM was first released, but SFAM was my gateway to DT...so yeah. To me, it's still an incredible album, no matter how my tastes have changed since then. Smiley

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:58:16 am »

call me a nerd, but i heard SFAM on the Dragonball Z Movie History of Trunks (Uncut) Tongue after that i was hooked.

SpaceDyeVest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:48:49 am »

Actually, although I am only 19, I was a fan of DT since I was 6, and I remember very well the hype I felt before this album, because with limited internet access, all I knew was that it was a surprise. Of course when I got it with my dad, it was like super shocking, adn then the album was amazing. I remember spending forever listening to it over and over and over and over again while doing anything, it was amazing. I swapped that with Once in a Livetime, and really loved it. I remember I would spend forever just listening to the lyrics and figuring out what the whole story was and trying to guess what certain things meant. It was amazing, and is definitely my favorite album of all time. Great album, one which I doubt will ever be surpassed in awesomeness.

lutima

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 05:44:08 am »

I was overwhelmed listining to SFAM for the first time, I remember...
Still I love the album tremendously, everytime I listen to the album again, it's still as awesome as it was back in 1999.

SteveTheater

Carpe Diem!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:51:29 am »

One of my favorite concept albums of all time. Love it, from beginning to end.

Masterpiece!

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 01:05:02 pm »

Of course you don't LIKE it.....

You love it!!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

(Got this one from my daughter's vocab....)

I still love this CD as well.  I didn't have it when it came out, but invested in it a year later.  I still love "Home".  Just a fantastic song.

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

ERiKofSWE90

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »

Aww what a lovely story about hearing it for the first time...especailly after DT's "bad" era!
The fans must have been cheering!

Sadly I missed this, i was only 9 when that was released. But yes i love the album, its amazing. When i listen to it I try to imagine how GOOD it must have felt for the DT fans when it was released.

This fits nicely to the upcoming X-mas Cheesy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55YskkSeDo8&feature=PlayList&p=80C0D03FD2E69DF4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=33

rest in peace Mulle 2001-2010

SomeGuy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 09:57:53 am »

My all-time favorite album along with IaW. The one after them (in a really close match) would be Awake.

Lol, I remember when I heard James singing "Help, he's my brother, but I ****ed her" in some YT video live, I cracked up so much...I always thought it'd be funny if they said that, then to hear them actually doing it XD

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 04:42:05 pm »

Okay, those of you who were saying that you were nine years old and 11 years old when this came out are making me feel ancient! I was in my final year of college!

Awesome album. One of my all-time favorites.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: