Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Official DT Chaos In Motion DVD Thread  (Read 14894 times)
Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:48:01 pm »

The latest DVD release from Dream Theater.  Released now since September / October, it is a DVD that takes a different point of view from the band on both planes - the performance and the personal. 
Please share your thoughts on the DVD here.

http://www.myspace.com/dreamtheater 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:52:12 pm by Donna » Logged

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

bosk1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:29:30 am »

Thumbs up for the DVD.  Love it. 

Oh, and...
*inhales deeply*
...ah, that new forum smell!   Smiley

emindead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:53:09 am »

I still have to get my hands on this one  Tongue

Oh, and cool new forum

6$tr!ng

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:04:21 am »

I pre-ordered it...got it I think 2-3 days after release but haven't watched it all the way through yet...been into other music these days, but I'll get around to it eventually Smiley

Dimitrius

Silence! I kill you!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 12:07:07 pm »

Oh, and cool new forum
Why the hell do you not have it yet?!?!

karpatisz

James and me in Budapest, Hungary 2007

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:43 pm »

I have both editions and I really love them.  Grin

Szabolcs

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 03:12:59 pm »

Got mine as well!! the regular edition, didn't feel like going for the deluxe since I hardly listen to live albums anyway...

Well, all in all yet another great DVD from the guys  Cool the menu of the first one is very cool, with all the animations with the ants... I was surprised at first that, even not being a single show, the thing was not merged as if it was and that there was a documentary in between the songs... but all in all it was cool! It offers also two hilarous moments, one when James talks about the signing of autographs and how the fans come in and "they want to have a picture, shake our hands, TAKE OUR STUFF, EAT OUR FOODS", getting suddenly angry..... ahahaha! and the best one, when Jordan speaks calmly and smiling to the camera about how great the show just happened was, and Portnoy cursing saying that it sucked.... bwhahahhaa that was literally worth a "ROTFL"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The songs were all great, highlights are the intro (it's cool that the very DVD starts with the Psycho theme, and seeing again the Also Sprach Zarathustra), Surrounded '07, Lines in the Sand, Scarred, The Ministry of Lost Souls (best James performance on the DVD imo), In the Presence of Enemies and the Schmedley Wilcox... it's cool that they kept a compilation of basically every song (or almost) that was rotating during the tour... and there's even a clip of Repentance sung with Mikael Akerfeldt!

The second DVD, with the same cool menu, is nice as well, the documentary about life on the road is both funny and interesting, full of many informations (now we can know what James wants when he make gestures on stage, ha!), life on the road clips, moments of total insanity, and the band warming up for the show as it's about to start... (too bad that they don't show the *exact* moment they are backstage and then enter the stage, no DVD offers that, Helloween almost came close to it but I still have to see a full, unedited scene of a band walking from the backstage to the stage when the intro is playing and then climbing on stage...)

Another cool feature is the tour of the stage - didn't know that James had a little "cabin" to sit down between an instrumental section and the other! equally nice to know how the backstage is assembled for the guys and what everyone do there....

And now, whining time: buhaaaaaaaa the photo gallery shows the final bow to the audience of every show, but there's not the one for the very first show of the tour: the italian Gods of Metal! but at least there's the date I attended of the regular european headliner tour  Tongue

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Scrub206

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:07:27 pm »

i absolutely love the DVD. Ive watched it multiple times!

tbh i love how JLB sounds on this. his voice has definantly changed over the years. but damn can he sing. I, and im sure many other DT fans out there, am disappointed that they cut the second verse out of TTT. but its still amazing!

AtmosphericV

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 05:47:55 pm »

Take the Time is perfectly executed.

Subu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

Interesting release.....less polished than the previous few, but more "real"......I like the different songs from different concerts...wish there had been a Chicago one in the mix (or did I miss it??)......I enjoyed the DVD as well, especially the one that had the people who are behind the scenes explaining what they do to make the shows happen. 
I am not complaining at ALL, but a suggestion for the future; I would like to have a DVD included in one of these releases that delves a little deeper into the personal musical mindsets of each individual member.....what makes them WANT to make music?......what keeps them fresh?.......what challenges to they face in creative thinking?.......what would they like to explore if selling albums and getting people to attend concerts were not a top priority?.......but that's just my own curiousity as I have family in this business and I'd like to "compare notes".......
I've been happy with every release DT has ever produced.....that in itself is pretty amazing.....I hope they carry on for a long time to come!

‎"Accomplishment breeds confidence, insecurity breeds arrogance" - me

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 01:51:46 pm »

Take the Time is perfectly executed.

Indeed, and James was so great on it... powerful, energetic, totally in tune with a near-studio-like quality..... I am just so sure that he would have nailed the second bridge which they decided to skip (dammit)...

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

emindead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 03:53:57 pm »

Oh, and cool new forum
Why the hell do you not have it yet?!?!

ask Adami  Tongue

Epitaph04

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 12:03:03 am »

Have it, and still love it. I've gotten used to JLB's vocals, and now I actually like them quite a bit.

Dark Eternal Night, Surrounded '07, Keyboard Solo, and Schmedley Wilcox are highlights for me.

woot.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: