Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet and Greet Stories  (Read 7988 times)
DTLaBriePortnoy85

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:05:01 pm »

Does every(any)one have DT meet and greet stories? I've read a few brief ones. But would like to know more. I'd love to hear (or read, lol) more. Plus, it'll help me when I get my chance to do a meet n greet.

Watched so many of my loved ones fall, today. It's like I'm standing here with all of my past erased. The man I have become is not walking away. It is the memories that makes the man you see.

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:19:40 pm »

Damn

Mine is one of the worst I guess.

I won a Meet and Greet for an Albuquerque show back in 2002 when they were touring for the Six Degrees album. It was the King's X, Satriani, DT tour. Anyways, when they came out, I introduced myself as "I'm goo-goo"...That's all...Damn, embarrassing!! James had a WTF face...LOL...Mike, he said something that's cool, you are from the Forum....Managed to get autographs and pics from everybody (including JM).

Haven't met them ever since..except JP at a Guitar Center last year...I was the first in line and he asked me "Do you want to ask me anything?". I was like No thanks, there's a lot of people behind me...LOL. He took a picture, autographed my suspended animation cd, and took a picture with my wife as well..

DTLaBriePortnoy85

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:05:04 am »

Damn

Mine is one of the worst I guess.

I won a Meet and Greet for an Albuquerque show back in 2002 when they were touring for the Six Degrees album. It was the King's X, Satriani, DT tour. Anyways, when they came out, I introduced myself as "I'm goo-goo"...That's all...Damn, embarrassing!! James had a WTF face...LOL...Mike, he said something that's cool, you are from the Forum....Managed to get autographs and pics from everybody (including JM).

Haven't met them ever since..except JP at a Guitar Center last year...I was the first in line and he asked me "Do you want to ask me anything?". I was like No thanks, there's a lot of people behind me...LOL. He took a picture, autographed my suspended animation cd, and took a picture with my wife as well..

He seriously had a WTF look on his face? LOL!!! Cap't never said anything?

Watched so many of my loved ones fall, today. It's like I'm standing here with all of my past erased. The man I have become is not walking away. It is the memories that makes the man you see.

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:38:38 am »

I've never meet DT guys at official meet-n-greet. Though I met them both times they played in Moscow, in more informal way. Does this count? Smiley

I know the truth is out there.

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:29:06 pm »

I've never meet DT guys at official meet-n-greet. Though I met them both times they played in Moscow, in more informal way. Does this count? Smiley

i say it counts.

Metropolis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 06:53:04 am »

I've seen DT a total of 7 times. The first time was in 2005 on the Octavarium tour and nothing. After that I've seen them here in Croatia when Dominici was opening for them. None of the guys came out. Charlie did. We talked for about 30 minutes and took a pic together. Then I saw them 4 times in a row in Germany on the Systematic chaos tour in 2007. On every concert I was in the first row of course and sang every song as loud a I could with my high tenor voice together with James. After the 3rd show he recognized me and in the mid of the show he gave me an angry Wtf look but I carried on. After the shows I got eventually my stuff signed but again no pics. In 2007 my wife and I met and did the Camino de Santiago together in Spain and stopped on my Birthday in Bilbao for a week and went to see DT with Symphony X. I was so exited. I always wanted to see and meet Symphony X. So after the great show we went to the busses. My wife went to the DT bus and I went to the Symphony X bus. She started talking to the DT bus driver he told her that the guys are tired and some are ill and wont't come out . She tried to convince him as he is British too so they got into a conversation. My wife told him that Jordan and I are sharing birthdays and that I simply would like him to come out to take a pic, sign some of my stuff and congratulate him and that's it. She almost convinced him to ask some of the guys out. It was very cold and there was no one except my wife and I and 2 friends. I was unaaware that my wife was still convincing them, so I kinda gave up. I've seen the guys from Symphony X coming out of the arena and ran to my wife all exited not aware that she actually managed to get some of the guys out cos the driver has been so nice. She tried to explain it to me in front of him but I was insisting we said goodbye and went to the other bus. When my wife told me the story later I was so pissed with myself. We went to the other bus and hanged out wih the guys for about an hour then it started raining. About an hour later Russ came out the other guys went into the bus and Russell and Lepond hanged out with us for another two hours in the cold and rain taking pics, signing stuff, joking and laughing. It was my best Birthday ever. After that we've seen DT once more in 2009 on the Black clouds tour with Bigelf and Opeth. Opeth was fantastic. DT was so dissapointing they played less than an hour. No energy, nothing. All of them looked like they even don't wanna be there. It was terrible everbody was dissapointed. That was the last time I've seen them and won't see them unfortunately live anymore unless Portnoy comes back.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:45:56 am by Metropolis » Logged

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 01:23:02 pm »

I did a M&G back at the Salt Lake City show in Sept 2011.  They had us lined up against a wall and the guy in charge of it was saying no hand shakes, etc. for the guys to avoid getting germs while on tour.  So the guys come in and keep their hands to themselves...except for Mangini who was giving high fives all the way down.  We did posed pics (two poses).  Held up the metal horns for the second shot, and James did a crazy face and Jordan gave the horns as well. 
The guys then sat at a table and we proceeded through to get a chance to talk and get things signed.  All of the guys were amazingly cool, gracious and very kind.  I got to talk to each of them for 30-60 seconds which was really cool.  I talked with Mangini about the Red Sox and sports, in general.  I told him how great it was to have him in the band and talked a bit more about the Drummer's Dream video that he is in.  I mostly talked to JP about favorite Rush guitar solos (his is Limelight for those keeping score at home).  I told him how much I loved the solo from Breaking All Illusions.  I talked to JR about his apps and told him how much my son loved SketchWiz and MorphWiz.  Next was the Captain.  We chatted about his solo album and I told him how "perfect" his voice sounded on that album and ADTOE.  We talked about the acoustic songs they were doing and I mentioned how much it blew me away when Rush first did that on the Vapor Trails tour back in 2002.  Then we talked a bit more about Rush tours and shows.  Next was JM.  I asked him about a second leg and the new Jelly Jam release.  He said more than a few words, which was cool!
I stayed after the show and all of them spent time along the rope line.  I got individual pictures with each of them and got to chat a bit more.  Mangini practically had to be dragged on the bus as he was really enjoying talking to everyone and gave several hugs to the women!
These guys are the real deal.  All of them seemed like genuinely nice people.  It was a great time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: