Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "On the Backs of Angels" cover by ContinuumProgRock  (Read 3398 times)
Octavius2250

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:38:53 pm »

While perusing through the John Petrucci forums, someone posted a link to the following cover:

http://youtu.be/CeIype35fzw

I really liked ContinuumProgRock's cover version, especially with regards to their unique take on the vocals, and not just when it comes to the vocal timbre, but also with how the vocalist creatively reinterpreted and (re)arranged the actual vocal melodies. I prefer the vocals in this version a lot more than Bad Salad's version. I felt that the Bad Salad version's vocals too closely emulated the vocals in the original Dream Theater version. (I'm not trying to diss LaBrie's singing at all; I simply prefer creative reinterpretations over verbatim imitation, most of the time.) I also felt that the Bad Salad version's vocals were too heavily digitally processed, while the ContinuumProgRock version's vocals are nice and raw.

I noticed that I've spend most of this post talking about the vocals, but then again, this is a vocalist's forum! Wink

James LaBrie has more balls than all of his haters combined.

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:56:44 am »

Hmm… Can't say that I'm in love with the vocals on this one. The tone of his voice reminds me of Grover from Sesame Street.

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:40 pm »

I like how the band plays, but I don't like the vocals - the singer probably has a natural voice and vocal range, but he sounds kind of "untrained" and emotionless (in my opinion).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: