Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: LaBrie's Songs' MeaningS ***James' Responds******  (Read 13296 times)
SomeGuy

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2009, 01:21:16 pm »

Hey guys, I have a question.

I really like trying to understand lyrics of songs...and I have to say, LaBrie's lyrics always interested me more than many others.
So sometimes I have problems understanding it, and I make a use of many different sources/websites etc...but there are songs, in his solo albums (many of them), that I can't understand clearly, and I only found meanings for EOP, while some of them don't even sound correct.
Anyways, I wonder if any of you knows the meanings to his songs, have a website with them or something, or at least the meaning of His Voice...that song is frustrating me.

So, thanks in advance for anyone who'll help.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:06:58 pm by Donna » Logged

ERiKofSWE90

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:31:08 pm »

From what I've understood theres some frustating 'mystery' behind some of hes best lyrics...like Dissapear and Vacant.

I read on www.songmeanings.com (good site!) and for these two songs people said so many things. Some said Dissapear was when James's divorced, but he has never divorced. Some said its about when hes mother died, and some said Vacant is when hes mother got alzeimer. And I also read somewhere that James has stated sometime that he didnt wanted to explain them becouse they were to personal or something...

On the sololyrics, look them up! I cant say anything about them, I havent got my hands on hes solo discs yet.

rest in peace Mulle 2001-2010

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:37:10 pm »

Actually I've been wondering about this particular song's (His Voice) meaning too. Usually James' songs are pretty clear to me, but a few of them leave me puzzling. It would be nice if maybe James saw this thread - it'd be best to learn the meaning firsthand.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:38:46 pm by Natt » Logged

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 02:09:49 pm »

For the most part it sometimes is a wonder as to how James gets the inspiration to write specific songs. Out of all the Mullmuzzler stuff, Lace has got to be my favorite.

SomeGuy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:17:32 pm »

From what I've understood theres some frustating 'mystery' behind some of hes best lyrics...like Dissapear and Vacant.

I read on www.songmeanings.com (good site!) and for these two songs people said so many things. Some said Dissapear was when James's divorced, but he has never divorced. Some said its about when hes mother died, and some said Vacant is when hes mother got alzeimer. And I also read somewhere that James has stated sometime that he didnt wanted to explain them becouse they were to personal or something...

On the sololyrics, look them up! I cant say anything about them, I havent got my hands on hes solo discs yet.
Yeah, there are enough sources for the songs he wrote in DT's albums, and out of all the different opinions you could get some "assumption" about their meanings. I tend to believe the assumptions of people who say Disappear is about death, not divorcement. Death of who? I'm really not sure XD

The point is, the Mullmuzzler albums don't even have lyrics as far as i'm aware in SongMeanings...so I really don't know where to get the meaning from, unless for...you know...knowing some more literature, logic and James' head better than me XD

And yeah, it would make me damn happy if James will see this thread and...solve the mystery, at least about His Voice, I keep listening to this song non-stop o:

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:44:02 pm »

It's an impossible task for me to remember where I read it and therefore quote it, but I remember vividly that James once explained that His Voice was about an old friend of him that commited suicide, and the song reflects his thoughts about what could have been done back then to prevent it, knowing then what was evident after the deed was committed...

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 03:36:57 pm »

It's an impossible task for me to remember where I read it and therefore quote it, but I remember vividly that James once explained that His Voice was about an old friend of him that commited suicide, and the song reflects his thoughts about what could have been done back then to prevent it, knowing then what was evident after the deed was committed...

well thanks. That explains a lot

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 02:48:28 pm »

Another question about "As A Man Thinks". As great as this song is (it's one of my favorite on the album), its meaning still remains a conundrum to me. Can anybody please explain what this song is about?

James LaBrie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 12:50:09 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Before I enlighten you to the lyrical message for a few songs I would like to say the Progressive Nation 09 European tour is going full steam ahead. The shows have been fantastic and the crowds are kicking butt. If you've already been to one I hope you enjoyed it and if you are about to see one, enjoy as well. I look forward to yelling at you for 90 minutes.

Now on with the song meanings.

Dissappear is a lyric I was inspired by seeing a young couple in a mall. They looked like newly weds and for most people including themselves they had the whole world and many years in their possession. I had a striking thought, what if all of this came to crushing halt when one of them is found to have a terminal disease. How would the one left behind deal and express their experience and loss.

Vacant is a very personal lyric. 3 days before my daughter's 7th birthday she had a seizure and went into a coma for 3 and half hours. The Doctors told my wife and I she might have had a stroke. While they were about to do a Catscan Chloe came out of it. It was a miracle and never again did she have incident with this type of situation. The Doctors never did give us a full diagnosis as to what really happen. Quite honestly I think they were just as baffled as us. Nothing before or since has ever left me feeling as distraught or helpless.  Good news, she is a perfectly healthy girl and singing her ass off.

His Voice is of a friend of mine that took his life in his early 20's. He was such fun to be around, full of untamed energy and one of the funniest guys I ever knew. Unfortunately there was another side to him that was lost and never could find his path or place. When situations called upon him to express himself or be successful with the task at hand he just couldn't deliver. He never found "His Voice".

Okay, that is enough for now. Take care everyone and see you out there.

Cheers,

James.

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 01:11:24 pm »

Thanks so much for taking the time out to respond at the beginning of what is going to be a very busy schedule on DT's European leg, James.  This answers a lot of questions for people who visit the Board, and thanks so much for sharing this side of yourself with us.  The song "Vacant" is one that holds a space in my own life, but seeing it from your true perspective (as opposed to our own) makes one appreciate the song a bit more.

Have a wonderful tour, and thanks again........ be careful out there!  We look very much forward to seeing the "trouble" you, Jordan and the boys get into on Youtube!

Cheesy

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 01:26:33 pm »

It's always a pleasure reading from you James, and thank you so much for answering some questions a lot of fans have been wondering about.

Raawwk on! You and the rest DT guys - you're amazing!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:51:55 pm by Natt » Logged

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 02:27:50 pm »

His Voice is of a friend of mine that took his life in his early 20's. He was such fun to be around, full of untamed energy and one of the funniest guys I ever knew. Unfortunately there was another side to him that was lost and never could find his path or place. When situations called upon him to express himself or be successful with the task at hand he just couldn't deliver. He never found "His Voice".

That rather reminds me of my friend Sam who took his life in August...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:41:50 pm by w34vi1 » Logged

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 04:31:48 pm »

James, thank you for giving us some more perspective on your very personal lyrics. I'm not sure how you are about sharing those stories, but I'm honored that you trust us enough to share them with us. Smiley

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 08:28:01 pm »

Thanks James for the info! These explanations make the songs deeper than originally thought of...

lutima

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 05:46:49 am »

Thank you James, for taking the time to respond here during the busy European PN09 tour and explain those lyrics, it means a lot to us !  Cool
Take good care of yourself and prepare for meeting me and a few others in Rotterdam  Grin
I'll take some candy for you with me...might help your throat...or not  Cheesy Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: