Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dream Theater Dallas concert review (Final show of 1st NA Leg)  (Read 12500 times)
goo-goo

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2011, 05:15:11 pm »

Well, my day started by taking half a day off at work and going to the JP meet and greet at a Guitar Center in Arlington. I was the 1st in line (got there one hr before the stated time) and my wife and I got pics with him and signed my Suspended Animation cd. He also signed a picture of him and signed another picture for my brother in law (I got him the JP Suspended Animation Tab book and told JP that ever since he got it, he got into prog LOL). My wife said great things about JP about him being very down to earth and full of presence (and cute). Haha! She's been digging ADTOE a lot.

Anyways, well, I left my wife home and a friend of mine picked me up and went to Grand Prairie at a beautiful venue. I really like this place (I've seen Luis Miguel - my wife loves him; and Peter Gabriel with the New Blood Orchestra, which was amazing).

I can't say anything about Trivium except that it was one of longest 45 mins of my life (Trivium and Mars Volta share this spot).

When DT came on, wow. The last time I saw them was at Phoenix in the Systematic Chaos leg. I don't think I saw them in the Black Clouds tour. The setlist was perfect...They played These Walls, which is my of my all-time DT songs. The new songs sound amazing, especially Build Me Up. Its my least favorite track on the album but it kicks ass in a live setting. DT was having tons of fun and at one point JM and JP stood on the drum riser. Never seen them doing that..LOL. Breakign All Illusions and Bridges in the Sky and On The Back of Angels are simply outstanding (I think those are my 3 favorite songs on the new album). The mini-acoustic set was great, although wished it could have been a song or two longer. The audio-visual presentation of the band keeps getting better and better. Loved the cube-shaped projection screens and JR's tilting keyboard (that was really exciting). YTSEJAM was a great surprise as well...JM bringin the Moog pedals was surprising. James sounded great. Mangini, well, I can't say more than what has been said before. Great drummer, great replacement. His drumset is huge (pics don't do justice)

I think 2 hrs is a perfect length for DT. IT keeps the band rested and with enough time to rest for the next show. I just wish a different band could have opened for DT. Redemption (although they did that already), Fates, Evergrey, Subsignal, etc...

Now, with Rush releasing an album next year and for those who don't know, they signed with Roadrruner, it would make perfect sense for DT to open for Rush promoting the new album (which is not as heavy as previous releases) and Rush playing songs off their soon to be released albume with RR. THIS IS ALL SPECULATION ON MY PART.

I'll upload some pics in my facebook later today or tomorrow.

Witnessing DT again brought that feeling when I saw them the first time. The last couple of times I had lost the excitement. But now, I want to see them again!!

Subu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »

Hey Goo....glad you had a great evening, but I knew you would!!  The new DT is so incredible!  Wish I could see them again, sans Trivium.....
Rock on my friend!!   Cool

‎"Accomplishment breeds confidence, insecurity breeds arrogance" - me

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:02:38 pm »

I seriously doubt Rush will ever break from the "evening with" (no opening band).  Besides, after seeing DT open for Maiden they get stuck with a short set list.
If DT and Rush played together with full set lists, I just couldn't handle it.   I'M NOT WORTHY, I'M NOT WORTHY!

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 02:30:19 pm »

I seriously doubt Rush will ever break from the "evening with" (no opening band).  Besides, after seeing DT open for Maiden they get stuck with a short set list.
If DT and Rush played together with full set lists, I just couldn't handle it.   I'M NOT WORTHY, I'M NOT WORTHY!

I can remember what interview it was but it was stated that DT would NEVER choose be an opening band EVER again.

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:48:42 pm »

Mhmm...

I know those were MP's feelings about DT only opening for 3 bands: Iron Maiden, Rush and Metallica. Other than that, they wouldn't open for someone else.

Don't know if this are the bands' current feelings but those 3 are huge bands but I really doubt they would pass an opportunity like that.

Now that Rush and DT are label mates, I would think it would make things much easier to tour together. Besides, the timing will be right (Rush's album is scheduled to be released in the spring while DT will finish touring Europe). It would be a great summer package.

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 04:14:52 pm »

Mhmm...

I know those were MP's feelings about DT only opening for 3 bands: Iron Maiden, Rush and Metallica. Other than that, they wouldn't open for someone else.

Don't know if this are the bands' current feelings but those 3 are huge bands but I really doubt they would pass an opportunity like that.

Now that Rush and DT are label mates, I would think it would make things much easier to tour together. Besides, the timing will be right (Rush's album is scheduled to be released in the spring while DT will finish touring Europe). It would be a great summer package.

it was something James said... but again i don't remember what interview...

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 09:15:34 pm »

Hey Goo-- glad you had just an awesome time at your concert!
And yeah that would be a great summer package... especially for people like me that have never seen Rush live.... But I just really doubt it will happen. Of course, if BOTH bands wanted it, you would think it would happen, though. I wonder how much sway Roadrunner really has one who tours with who...And I can't imagine ANY record label will be able to tell Rush who they are touring with.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 09:32:39 pm »

Hey Goo-- glad you had just an awesome time at your concert!
And yeah that would be a great summer package... especially for people like me that have never seen Rush live.... But I just really doubt it will happen. Of course, if BOTH bands wanted it, you would think it would happen, though. I wonder how much sway Roadrunner really has one who tours with who...And I can't imagine ANY record label will be able to tell Rush who they are touring with.

I thought that at first but when I saw Trivium on the same bill as DT, well, my thought was RR persuaded this. Now, I have been receiving emails from Roadrunner lately on surveys on "do you listen to cds?", "would you prefer to see bands from the same label tour at the same time?", "what bonuses would make you buy phyisical cds?" stuff like that. Out of the many bands out there, why Trivium? Do the DT guys actually listen to these guys? DOn't know and probably never will...but from gathering everybody's musical tastes in interviews and here and there, Trivium was never mentioned before IIRC

But anyways, you are missing on Rush!! last year was my 3rd time seeing them and they keep getting better and better. Haven't regretted any concert from those guys.

Jamie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:40:29 am »

Mangini, well, I can't say more than what has been said before. Great drummer, great replacement. His drumset is huge (pics don't do justice)

I know what you were saying here, but I can't help but CRINGE every time I hear/see "replacement". I suppose people will only truly think of Mangini as an official member once he starts contributing to the writing process.

The little things that kill you make you glad to be alive.

DebraKadabra

I won't change to fit your plan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:10:50 pm »

I was at this show and the Austin show the night before.  I'm still having a hard time deciding which one was better--the guys were on FIRE both nights.  Although... I loved the baseball updates from JP LOL!  After the first one, our Cap'n mentioned something about "hockey... ehh" LMAO!!!!  Then, during the second one Cap'n was like "Oh, YOU again?!" lololol!!!

It was also really nice to see all of the guys so HAPPY--definitely a more positive energy going on there. Cheesy

I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here: Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 07:29:28 pm »

I talked to Rai a bit before the show. Sorry for pulling him out of the seat  Wink

DebraKadabra

I won't change to fit your plan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 07:48:54 pm »

DT wasn't on the stage at that time, so no worries at all. Smiley

I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here: Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: