Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Again  (Read 8520 times)
Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2011, 04:56:36 pm »

Anyone has ever seen this movie that was the inspiration to Scenes from a Memory? I did this evening, and now I feel like listening to SFAM again  Grin

It's funny 'cause the very first scene is "Headline, murder"... you see a paper with MURDER as front title, and when the scenes of the past are shown in black and white I couldn't help but think of the booklet and how the lyrics are written in italics or not depending on the time  Wink

Anyway, it's an inspiration and not a ripoff - the album has only the basic idea of reincarnation and having the protagonist being a previously murdered woman, but it does not follow the story of the movie. It's ironic because thanks to SFAM you figure out quite early who the bad guy is in the movie.... but in the end it turns out that the reasons and motives behind the plot twist are different (also, the movie has only a plot twist - SFAM had two).

In the end, nice movie... but SFAM is better  Cheesy but until someone makes a movie out of the album, we'll have to live with Dead Again  Wink

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:45:43 pm »

I have never even heard of it. So you are sure is was actually purposefully inspired by SFAM...? I will have to check it out the movie now. Thanks!

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:21:46 pm »

No, it's the other way around: this 1991 movie was definitively confirmed (as if official confirmation is needed once you've seen the movie) as the inspiration for the storyline of Scenes from a Memory.

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

pg1067

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:38:02 am »

this 1991 movie was definitively confirmed . . . as the inspiration for the storyline of Scenes from a Memory.

Confirmed by whom?  Where?

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:56:51 pm »

I had never heard that and haven't seen that movie since it was released in the theaters.  I'll have to revisit it...of course, then I will start fantasizing about Emma Thompson.   Grin

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 02:49:08 pm »

this 1991 movie was definitively confirmed . . . as the inspiration for the storyline of Scenes from a Memory.

When in doubt, (if you own it), check Lifting Shadows.... That book usually answers a lot...

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:09:54 pm »

Damned if I remember, it's one of those "I read a link ages ago" situations. But if you watch the movie, you won't need any further confirmation  Wink

pg1067

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 04:25:06 pm »

I do own Lifting Shadows and don't recall anything about this in there.  I put it on my Netflix list, so we'll see....

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: