Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, I have to say something...  (Read 17222 times)
ashflower

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2011, 11:16:32 pm »

I saw DT perform in Montreal last week, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I was up in the balcony at Place Des Arts (basically a venue for symphony orchestras). The setlist was absolutely amazing (Caught in a WEB!), and Mangini's drum solo kicked ass. The venue itself was nice, but perhaps not the right place for prog metal.

CERTAINLY not the place for Trivium. Oh my holy holy god. What a ridiculous choice for a touring partner on the record company's part. I don't intend to bash DT or Trivium (much), or any of their fans, should there actually be any here. But they were embarrassingly bad. I was actually so annoyed and offended I left my seat and got a drink. I honestly tried to give them a chance, hence why I actually showed up on time to see them start the show. I lasted three songs. Walked out, and found tons of like-minded persons, standing around and waiting patiently for the band they wanted to see.

OK, I have seen horrible bands opening for great bands before, but I have never been this disappointed. I don't quite know how to explain it, but here goes: Here's an example of why Down made sense when I saw Heaven and Hell and Megadeth. Down was opening, and it lasted 40 minutes, and I was like "OK fine, this is a generally "metal" crowd, this is somewhat acceptable, even if Down is terrible." I saw Cynic and Meshuggah, which are two very different, but very good bands. A horrid band called The Faceless opened for them, and I stood through it because I knew that yes, again, it's a METAL crowd.

Dream Theater have many different elements to their music. Not just the metal aspect. They have progressive, melodic, metal, and virtuosic technical elements. Pairing them with Trivium? Touring for A Dramatic Turn of Events? It made NO FREAKING SENSE. It MIGHT have made sense if DT was touring on Train of Thought, and if it was 2004 again, and they were on a festival. This just seems like the suit-wearing label zombies didn't even listen to the album. This is a "marriage of convenience" as far as I'm concerned. Just because they are on the same label and they have an album out around the same time OBVIOUSLY means they have the same fans! One thing that stood out to me, though, was the fact that DT did not mention their unfortunate opening band at all during their set. Most bands say stuff like "How about a hand for our great opening band! Yea! We love those guys!" Not a word. Which is the classy thing to do, and I salute them for not really revealing their opinion of being forced to tour with these muppets.

OK, I could say more about this, but I doubt anyone even read this far.

James cutting his hair IS TENS TIMES THE SHOCK OF MIKE LEAVING THE BAND TO ME!!

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:31:16 am »

Oohhhh I read the whole thing...Coz I have wanted to SAY the same thing as well. I watched the whole Trivium set , and it was just one 45 minute song of the same thrash metal sound. The bass player(if you can call him that) plucked the same top 2 strings on each song. He never used the bottom 3. But I suppose using a 5 string bass makes you look impressive even though you don't know how to use it. And someone said Trivium were 'prog metal'...?? Not even CLOSE. They fall into that Nu Metal category, with some thrash metal signatures.
I just found out last night(I can't BELIEVE no one posted this) that Redemption just released a BRAND NEW album 'Mortal Coil'...why did THEY not tour with DT this time around?? OR how about Myrath?? They have a brand new album too!!
Many months ago when I saw that Trivium was opening for DT, and knew that was just a label decision. James had said in a interview once that "They were going on the road with their label mates" He did speak a little highly of them that there has been a lot of growth with the new album...Well I certainly couldn't tell...maybe if I actually listen to the CD and not have amps blasting in my ear. But with bands like Redemption, Myrath, Megadeth, and Iced Earth all having brand new albums...yeah I don't think I will be listening to that.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:53:47 am »

Me and another guy at the SLC show were joking about the lead singer for Trivium saying that "I'm sure you can hear the DT influence in our music."  He really said it!  I'm not joking.  WE DIDN"T HEAR IT!!

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 03:12:55 pm »

Hey Asianhawk

Redemption's album kicks so much ass man! Get it ASAP!!

B-rad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »

I also feel that Trivium was not a good opener for DT; it's just not the type of metal that DT fans want to hear. Plus, when I saw DT at the Warfield, the Trivium fans were completely out of control when Trivium was playing; I was fighting to remain standing in the standing pit, and at some points I was having trouble breathing because I was being crushed by all the douche bags behind me lol. So, because of that, all I could really hear and pay attention to was non-stop, chest pounding double bass. Has anyone else experienced out of control Trivium fans at any of these other concerts?

Fancy dress contrived rhetoric speech
The unlettered masses conforming
Rank and file members fearing change
But questioned their own faith this morning

"You people way up in back, put the fuckin hotdog down and put your hands together LET'S GOOOOOO!" - James LaBrie

Jamie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:59:12 pm »

I just can't wait to hear what their shows with Periphery will be like. F***ing awesome, to say the least.

The little things that kill you make you glad to be alive.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:38:27 am »

There was 2 fans that went up front and were thrashing around to Trivium. I don't know how or why they weren't asked to go back to their seats. The crazy kookie woman was screaming out the songs' lyrics, and head banging...I thought she was going to have a brain aneurism. The guy with her was not much different. Everyone else at the show was just sitting down...and to be honest it looked like most were just waiting it to be over. You could tell be the looks on their faces. Rarely anyone was even nodded/bobbing their heads. I didn't mind the music(I was bobbing my head the whole time); they just did not fit with opening for DT. At least the lead singer mixes up the harsh and clean vocals. But in retrospect, in seems there are more harsh vocals than clean.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Octavius2250

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 10:45:32 pm »

I agree that this is probably a pairing of convenience. On a very slight tangent, I wish Dream Theater would acknowledge the Stratovarius/Helloween side of its fanbase, but unfortunately, the band is acting as though the entire power metal genre never existed...

James LaBrie has more balls than all of his haters combined.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 06:36:08 pm »

I agree with you there!! There are a thousand amazing power metal bands that would die to open for Dream Theater!! Aaarrghhhh-- I STILL need to order Stratovarius's last 2 albums!!

-- William Faulkner

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 07:23:13 pm »

Given that it was a label decision, I don't understand why they didn't have them co-headline with Opeth. They are also on Roadrunner. It would have made a lot more sense, and would have attracted a bigger audience.

ashflower

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:56 pm »

I hope that eventually the bands involved in this particular pairing will come out and say how unsuccessful it was. Guarantee, Trivium did not gain any fans on this tour. I mean, seeing all your comments, I'm betting the Trivium guys go offstage every night and sulk in their dressing room. "They didn't like us!" But fortunately for them, DT fans aren't huge jerks who will actually boo them off the stage.

James cutting his hair IS TENS TIMES THE SHOCK OF MIKE LEAVING THE BAND TO ME!!

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 01:53:45 am »

I hope that eventually the bands involved in this particular pairing will come out and say how unsuccessful it was. Guarantee, Trivium did not gain any fans on this tour. I mean, seeing all your comments, I'm betting the Trivium guys go offstage every night and sulk in their dressing room. "They didn't like us!" But fortunately for them, DT fans aren't huge jerks who will actually boo them off the stage.

hey! I respect Trivum after seeing them live in Seattle. I got a guitar Pick personally from them Tongue

While it was an off base pick for them to be the opening band, I still enjoyed it, but then again I listen to Trivium in my regular rotation of music...

YtseBitsySpider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 12:20:31 pm »

I just can't wait to hear what their shows with Periphery will be like. F***ing awesome, to say the least.

Periphery does make a bit more sense, and I get a sense that they will be better and deliver a more skilled performance...but it still goes back to the original OP's point about to completely unlike bands. Periphery for all their awesome hooks and brainy math metal are still a high-school scream-0 band.

Redemption would have been an a mazing touring partner.
Or.
GASP..... Circus Maximus who are set to release a new disc..or Pagans' Mind who just did...or Symphony X.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 09:33:53 pm »

I could be totally wrong nut it seemed in the past( in fact just before this tour) that DT hand picked who they wanted to tour with them....Now it seems the bigger DT is, the label picks their opening act for them...?
Well anyways, the opening act could have been A LOT worse... Megadeth had some absolutely TERRIBLE opening acts during the Gigantour and previous shows I have seen them play. I remember one stinker band I had to stand through: Dillinger Escape Plan. <shudders>.....

-- William Faulkner

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 09:51:45 pm »

I could be totally wrong nut it seemed in the past( in fact just before this tour) that DT hand picked who they wanted to tour with them....Now it seems the bigger DT is, the label picks their opening act for them...?
Well anyways, the opening act could have been A LOT worse... Megadeth had some absolutely TERRIBLE opening acts during the Gigantour and previous shows I have seen them play. I remember one stinker band I had to stand through: Dillinger Escape Plan. <shudders>.....

it could be an experiment Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: