Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Portnoy to be on 'That Metal Show', this Saturday  (Read 20847 times)
rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 05:44:04 pm »

^^  interesting comments from both of you.  Nice to read level-headed analysis instead of knee-jerk reactions and speculation like I have seen elsewhere.

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 01:09:42 pm »

I did watch the interview, and I also noticed that he had mentioned a 1-2 year hiatus whereas others had said it was supposed to be a 5 year hiatus. In the end, it's impossible for any of us fans to know what is true. Bottom line is, MP seems like he is in a good place now, and DT is definitely in a good place. I have to say that I am intrigued by MP's upcoming album with Sykes. On a side MP sure looked tan!

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 01:55:16 pm »

At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with the fact that MP and the other members had grown apart personally.  Whether that was his fault or the fault of any of the others doesn't really matter.  He also can't reasonably be faulted for feeling burned out.  It happens to the best of us.  Therefore, I don't think there was anything wrong with him asking the other guys to take a break.  By the same token, I don't think there was anything wrong with them saying no.  They DID choose to move on without him, and there's nothing wrong with MP saying that.  When he expressed what he wanted, they forced him to make a choice between two alternatives, neither of which he found appealing, and I can't fault him for making the choice he made.  I suspect (and, again, this is pure speculation) that they weren't all that heartbroken over his choice either (after all, if they had been super bummed out, I would think they would not have commenced the search for his replacement almost immediately).

Well, this is a clear and rational analysis of the split if I ever saw one  Cheesy

But still, in the end it's Mike that left. Back in 1999 DT *did* chose to continue without Derek because they wanted Jordan, and so they let him go. Now it's not that DT fired Mike because he wanted to take a break - it was Mike to *leave* the band because the others DIDN'T want the break.

Still, as I said, I understand somehow why he says that and there's not a word in your post that I think is out of place or incorrect, but if DT ever indeed chose to "move on without him", it was because they were forced into that. Nobody would have thought or wanted to boot Mike out of the band if Mike wasn't going to ask for a break.

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:21 am »

I watched it last night.  MP was cool and it is nice when an interviewer just lets him tell what happened instead of trying to bait him into answers to stir the pot.  My favorite part was when he said, "I still love those guys."  My least favorite part was when he described the dinner after the final show "without naming names".  If that really happened, that is pretty lame of whoever did it but without knowing all of the facts & circumstances, it's not fair to pass judgment. 

pg1067

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:13 pm »

But still, in the end it's Mike that left. Back in 1999 DT *did* chose to continue without Derek because they wanted Jordan, and so they let him go. Now it's not that DT fired Mike because he wanted to take a break - it was Mike to *leave* the band because the others DIDN'T want the break.

Still, as I said, I understand somehow why he says that and there's not a word in your post that I think is out of place or incorrect, but if DT ever indeed chose to "move on without him", it was because they were forced into that. Nobody would have thought or wanted to boot Mike out of the band if Mike wasn't going to ask for a break.

I agree completely.

Fredday

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 05:28:49 pm »

Speaking for myself, I'm pretty sick of Portnoy at this point.   Esp with his attack on the new DT album as a "Desperate attempt of re-writing the past".

Seems to me he's still butthurt that HE left and turned around and decided to come back and got the epic face palm.  He made his bed, he should sleep in it gracefully instead of coming off as the jerk he seems to have become as a result of *his own* actions.

Get some class, Mike.

pg1067

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 10:27:26 am »

Speaking for myself, I'm pretty sick of Portnoy at this point.   Esp with his attack on the new DT album as a "Desperate attempt of re-writing the past".

Mike did NOT "attack" the new album, and you're taking that quote WAY out of context.  I assume you're doing so intentionally because it's not even a quote of the complete sentence in which that comment appears.  Mike was commenting on an analysis of ADTOE that SOMEONE ELSE had written, and which discusses the structural similarities between the songs on ADTOE and those on I&W.  The full quote is as follows:  "If they are indeed intentional "nuggets", then I guess that's a pretty cool idea...
However, if they were desperate attempts of secretly re-writing the past...hmm, maybe not so much...
I guess only they will know the real reason for it...."

Notice the use of the word "if."  It's rather significant in the context of his comments.

All that said, I did post on Mike's own forum that this is the sort of comment he probably should have kept to himself -- not because it's an unreasonable comment but because folks like you intentionally take his comments out of context.

Get some class, Mike.

Are you the pot or the kettle here?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:29:59 am by pg1067 » Logged

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 04:19:44 pm »

Ahahahahahaa!! Awesome pg1067!!!

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: