Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Portnoy to be on 'That Metal Show', this Saturday  (Read 20848 times)
Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:49:06 pm »

Mike to talk about the DT split on That Metal Show this Saturday. Just thought I would mention this. It was advertised during the commercial of last week's episode, and they show a snippet. Apparently there is another guest with him that he is doing ANOTHER collaboration as well...

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

B-rad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:53 am »

Mike to talk about the DT split on That Metal Show this Saturday. Just thought I would mention this. It was advertised during the commercial of last week's episode, and they show a snippet. Apparently there is another guest with him that he is doing ANOTHER collaboration as well...

Yep haha. The other guest is John Sykes; in case anyone isn't familiar with him, he's most commonly known as the guitarist for Whitesnake's 1987 album.

Fancy dress contrived rhetoric speech
The unlettered masses conforming
Rank and file members fearing change
But questioned their own faith this morning

"You people way up in back, put the fuckin hotdog down and put your hands together LET'S GOOOOOO!" - James LaBrie

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 10:46:20 am »

AAhhhh yes...I knew he looked familiar. They did their silly 'throwdown' on who was the best Whitesnake guitarist. Sykes won pretty much hands down.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:23:39 am »

I see headlines coming on...

I'm one who has been really looking for all DT-related info, but I got tired of every interviewer asking the same questions, MP reacting like... well, the way he has reacted, and DT being gentlemen not disclosing details. It's really getting old now. I'm happy with ADTOE and the current line-up and want them to keep working. As for MP, may God light his path, for he seems to need it.

Greetings,
Henry

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:45:16 am »

The problem is they are airing this episode kind of late. It was obviously filmed a couple months ago at least, and most assuredly BEFORE the new ADTOE album was released. But I am sure more people will tune into this episode than ever before. I always watch this show...even though they only talk about the same 10 bands from the 80's a 90's over and over and over for the past 7 seasons.

-- William Faulkner

Dave52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 05:33:07 pm »

I hope I'm wrong, but I just get the feeling that MP is gonna lurch from one side project to another.  A one off show here, a one off EP there.  It's a real shame.  He needs to get into a proper band and start something new, something with a little longevity.

Blue and red of day, to purple night, to absent light, to disarray.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:07:29 pm »

It almost seems like he will do this 'lurching from side project to side project' until he THINKS he will be back into DT. I agree, he just needs to start a new band. Then he can control that however he wants. Unfortunately he is probably too controlling like Axel Rose at this point, and no one wants to work with him permanently. Side projects is all anyone will commit to. Him....maybe Mike can drum for 'Dominici'

-- William Faulkner

Octavius2250

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »

It almost seems like he will do this 'lurching from side project to side project' until he THINKS he will be back into DT. I agree, he just needs to start a new band. Then he can control that however he wants. Unfortunately he is probably too controlling like Axel Rose at this point, and no one wants to work with him permanently. Side projects is all anyone will commit to. Him....maybe Mike can drum for 'Dominici'
Well, Jorg Michael is planning to leave Stratovarius, maybe there can be a place for Mike Portnoy there... But as much as I would like to see Stratovarius with Mike Portnoy, the geographic distance and stylistic differences are going to make this an extremely remote possibility...

James LaBrie has more balls than all of his haters combined.

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 09:13:33 pm »

For whatever it's worth, the Adrenaline Mob isn't supposed to be a side project for any member.  MP has stated that all of them (although they will have other bands) consider this a real band, as opposed to a side project. 

Having said that, I'm not 100% sure what the distinction is.  If you are in another band, which is your "real band" and what is a "side project"?  I guess as long as they keep doing albums and touring, it is not considered a side project.  At the end of the day a side project is probably more like one and done.  I just know that MP went out of his way in a couple of interviews to state this.  He has said the same thing about the trio he is in with Sykes and the mystery bass player (this has been under wraps for quite a while, although with substantially less interest than the Mangini mystery). 

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 12:31:28 am »

Jorg Michael is leaving Stratovarius??!!

Hmmm now that I think of it...With the Rhapsody and Rhapsody of Fire split-off, one of them will need a drummer! I can't quite see Mike P with an epic symphonic metal band but damn he would really add to the sound!

And yet again I am reminded that I need to STILL buy the last TWO Stratovarius albums....Aarrrrrrghhh.

Adrenaline Mob maybe not quite be a 'side project' in Mike's eye...but that's still what it is. That is obviously not a full-time band that he will be 100% devoted to in a replacement for DT. It's not like Russ Allen is going to put Symphony X on hold to expand grow Adrenaline Mob globally. Or expect the rest of the Sym. X members to 'wait' for him.

It definitely is possible to have at least 2 bands that you are devoted to basically full time though. Singers and guitarists do it all the time. Look at Fabio Lione with Rhapsody and Vision Divine. Or Olaf Thayer with Vision Divine and Labyrinth. Even Gus G was in 3 full time bands until he finally he it big with Firewind and settled with that band. But with a mega giant band like DT, you can do nothing else outside that, that would be considered anything other than a side-project. There is little to no time for anything else. Hmmmm hence of why Mike wanted the break...he wanted to do other things musically.

-- William Faulkner

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 07:20:52 am »

Well, also James' solo albums can be considered somehow of a "band" since it's the same team of people working on it, but they of course depend on DT's downtime to write and record....

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 03:35:00 pm »

So did anyone watch it? I know there are a lot of non-Mike fans now...I have pretty much considered myself one of them, but you know...being my all time favorite band for the last 11 or so years...I still have a special place for him in my heart, as I am sure most of you all do, whether you want to really admit it or not!

A couple very interesting if not peculiar things he said. "I wanted to take a 1 to 2 year break..." The second time he said that it seemed he hesitated just a tad, like he fudged the truth. BECAUSE, as you all must know, Jordan said, "He wanted to take like a 5 year break" Soooooo is Mike really fibbing here?

Also, one of the definitive moments that something needed to change was when they had a last farewell dinner party with the band and crew, "...and not to mention any names, but someone from the band decided to come to the dinner and wear head phones and his ipod throughout the dinner. The right there told me something needed to change" My guess would be it was John Myung, being the social introvert he is...but who knows.

Portnoy and John Sykes have laid down and demoed about 12 songs for a new album new untitled band. The sound is heavy rock, like Creed, Sabbath(he listed off other comparisons). Album should be out late this year early next year, and a full tour with follow.

He also said he would like to be back in DT in the future...in a couple of years. He has to leave that up to them, as they have moved on without him.

Anyways, watched him and listening to him, rather than reading his words, does make you have more understanding, if not sympathy.
It was an interesting and candid interview. He really had these feelings of a break for a while, but if you ask me he kept it pretty of guarded.

-- William Faulkner

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 01:45:24 pm »

Well, on a human level, I surely understand, or at least imagine, what he must be going through. He was thinking that something in DT needed to change........ I can imagine his dismay when it turned out that what needed to change was HIM. I still get annoyed (but I understand it's his self-defense sysyem) at him referring to the split as "they chose to continue without me", but I understand that it's hard for him and I completely believe (I read this in a translation on an italian site) when he says that he answers because he gets asked, and not because he wants a Blabbermouth headline.

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 04:12:28 pm »

I wonder when this was filmed?  I have it on the DVR, so I will likely watch it sometime this week.
I am still a big MP fan and will give all of his side projects, one-offs, or whatever else a fair chance.
We are a long way away from a DT "reunion" and I just love Mangini.  He IS the perfect guy for the job as DT moves forward.  As I am sure everyone knows who has seen them, everyone is gelling 100% right now and DT is truly magical live.  Can't wait to see them again in December.

pg1067

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:52 pm »

So did anyone watch it?

I DVR'd it (note to rhino2112 -- MP said in a post on another forum that it was recorded about three months ago).

I know there are a lot of non-Mike fans now...I have pretty much considered myself one of them, but you know...being my all time favorite band for the last 11 or so years...I still have a special place for him in my heart, as I am sure most of you all do, whether you want to really admit it or not!

I don't have any particular fondness for any member of DT outside of the context of DT.  MP was a part of DT; now he's not.  I enjoyed most, but not all, of DT's work during that time.  Before MP left, I regarded DT as having developed two distinct sides (primarily post-SFAM):  the JP side that leaned more toward the prog and the MP side that leaned more toward the straight metal (note that those "sides" don't necessarily correspond to who wrote the lyrics to a given song).  I much preferred the JP side of things, so I wasn't overly broken up when MP left.

A couple very interesting if not peculiar things he said. "I wanted to take a 1 to 2 year break..." The second time he said that it seemed he hesitated just a tad, like he fudged the truth. BECAUSE, as you all must know, Jordan said, "He wanted to take like a 5 year break" Soooooo is Mike really fibbing here?

I caught that as well.  My guess is that he simply overlooked his initial suggestion for a five year break (or a break for an undetermined amount of time) and mentioned the 1-2 year break because that was apparently the last proposal that was on the table before he quit.  Even he has mentioned that he originally asked for something longer/indefinite.

My guess would be it was John Myung, being the social introvert he is...but who knows.

That was my first thought as well, and I have some suspicions that JM might have very little in the way of personal relationships with anyone except JP (but that's pure speculation on my part).  I saw on another forum that someone guessed this was either JM or JLB.  The only one I would be surprised about would be if it had been JP.

My curiosity aside, this is the sort of detail that I think MP needs to omit from any further discussions.  Even though he took the "high road" and didn't name the culprit, this sort of comment is only going to foster speculation and will really piss some folks off.  It was the one lowlight in what I though was a perfectly reasonale interview.

At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with the fact that MP and the other members had grown apart personally.  Whether that was his fault or the fault of any of the others doesn't really matter.  He also can't reasonably be faulted for feeling burned out.  It happens to the best of us.  Therefore, I don't think there was anything wrong with him asking the other guys to take a break.  By the same token, I don't think there was anything wrong with them saying no.  They DID choose to move on without him, and there's nothing wrong with MP saying that.  When he expressed what he wanted, they forced him to make a choice between two alternatives, neither of which he found appealing, and I can't fault him for making the choice he made.  I suspect (and, again, this is pure speculation) that they weren't all that heartbroken over his choice either (after all, if they had been super bummed out, I would think they would not have commenced the search for his replacement almost immediately).

He also said he would like to be back in DT in the future...in a couple of years. He has to leave that up to them, as they have moved on without him.

I think this was an honest reaction.  He didn't want to leave, but he found that option to be the lesser of two undesirable choices, so it makes sense that he'd be open to a "reunion" (maybe in 2017 for the 25th anniversary of I&W -- God, that makes me feel old!).

Anyways, watched him and listening to him, rather than reading his words, does make you have more understanding, if not sympathy.
It was an interesting and candid interview. He really had these feelings of a break for a while, but if you ask me he kept it pretty of guarded.

I agree with your whole take on this.  I think seeing the interview makes it more difficult for some of the "haters" to imply some sort of ill will.  At the end of the day, the only thing I really disagree with is MP's apparent need to speak publicly outside of the context of interviews, and he has had a tendency to put his foot in his mouth on many occasions.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: