Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: ADToE Song lengths & who wrote the lyrics...  (Read 13266 times)
ashflower

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 09:59:30 pm »

As for me, I think the only reasonable way to judge this is wait for the album, listen to the songs and the lyrics and see how it comes out. There is no way we can predict that this is bad and the whole DT history, from now on, will be like that.

+1

What the heck is everyone complaining about? You had to expect this was going to happen. It's not unusual for James to have one writing credit per album. He had none on BCSL. And he just put out a solo album.. maybe all the lyrical creativity went to *that* project. I for one, don't see a problem.

And I love how no one is happy that John Myung is finally writing lyrics again. Jeez. If anyone is seeing this as JP "taking over for two people", that's pretty delusional. Just because you WANTED James to write more lyrics doesn't mean it's going to happen. Stop blaming Petrucci for something that is nobody's fault.

James cutting his hair IS TENS TIMES THE SHOCK OF MIKE LEAVING THE BAND TO ME!!

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 01:24:47 am »

What the heck is everyone complaining about? You had to expect this was going to happen. It's not unusual for James to have one writing credit per album. He had none on BCSL. And he just put out a solo album.. maybe all the lyrical creativity went to *that* project. I for one, don't see a problem.

And I love how no one is happy that John Myung is finally writing lyrics again. Jeez. If anyone is seeing this as JP "taking over for two people", that's pretty delusional. Just because you WANTED James to write more lyrics doesn't mean it's going to happen. Stop blaming Petrucci for something that is nobody's fault.

This

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 01:25:09 am »

No one is 'blaming' Petrucci, and I for one have never said that I am not excited about Myung writing lyrics again. EXUUUUUSE me if I(and I am sure the hundreds on this forum) wanted James to write at least the normal 2 tracks of lyrics...even AFTER MP left. You can see it as you like...but literally at least in the LYRIC department, Petrucci did take over for TWO people. But regardless of my opinion, I am not allowed to have one without being jumped on and misinterpreted. I get it. Nothing new.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Octavius2250

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 04:19:44 am »

Before the credits became public, I was honestly expecting "all lyrics by John Petrucci," so when I saw credits for the whole album I wasn't too surprised. Although Petrucci is probably my favorite lyricist, I'm honestly a little pissed off when I found out (via this forum) that two of LaBrie's lyrics got rejected. Why? I just feel that, unless multiple people turn in lyrics for the same song at the same time or if the lyrics were mediocre/offensive/not a good fit for the music, turning down what someone already put mental and emotional effort into isn't very nice... I'm sorry if this seems like childish reasoning, but having a Dream Theater member get his lyrics rejected just rubs me the wrong way... If this was another band, I might react differently depending on the band, but this is Dream Theater we're talking about! Dream Theater's lyrics have not disappointed me yet.

This seems like I'm going off on a tangent, but there's these two albums by Stratovarius, Elements, Part 1 and Elements, Part 2, that have such uncreative, unoriginal lyrics. "An eye for an eye, and the whole world will be blind." "I am the Alpha. I am the Omega." "Give me a way to accept things I cannot change anymore, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Ugh. And I listened to this one Edenbridge song called "Solitaire" (just the title track, not the whole album), and although I thought the song itself was good, the quality of the lyrics rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe Timo Tolkki and Lanvall should've had James LaBrie and John Petrucci write the lyrics for them! Grin
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:21:32 am by Octavius2250 » Logged

James LaBrie has more balls than all of his haters combined.

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 08:17:27 am »

Dream Theater's lyrics have not disappointed me yet

"I wanna talk about lifelong mistakes and you can tell your stepfather I said so" (Kevin)

"Life was so simple then, we were so innocent, mother and father holding each other" (JP)

"Get into my car, let's go for a drive, along the way I'll be your guide, just step inside" (JP)

Just my opinion  Grin

James' and John Myung's lyrics haven't disappointed me, though  Smiley

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 01:53:10 pm »

I like JP's lyrics. And I'm just happy that JMX did lyrics to one track on this album. I'm not gonna complain…

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 03:44:55 pm »

I also like JP's lyrics. Always. However, I find a little disappointing that two of James' lyrics were rejected. But ... well .. I am very much looking forward to the new album, and I'm also happy that JMX wrote lyrics to one song on this album.
Only a few days until ADTOE ... Smiley
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:03:16 am by diana » Logged

thyer

DJ Dream

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 06:40:02 am »

Mr.Wizard didn't wrote any lyrics? :-(

Without love
Without truth
There can be no turning back

Without faith
Without hope
There can be no peace of mind

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 02:39:06 pm »

Mr.Wizard didn't wrote any lyrics? :-(

Do you mean JR? He never writes lyrics for DT.

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 03:01:37 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about James' lyrics not being used.  Perhaps they couldn't fit them into the song structures that they were working on.  James can hold them over for his next solo project!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: