Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: ADToE Song lengths & who wrote the lyrics...  (Read 14397 times)
Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2011, 07:31:39 pm »

HOLY CRAP...! I don't know if this is true... But have you guys checked the track lengths of the new album?? Massive long songs!! I know it is wikipedia....but DAMN I wish someone else had posted this before if they knew.
 And according to this James only wrote the lyrics to ONE song. I'm sorry....but AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dramatic_Turn_of_Events

No.           Title                                    Lyrics         Length
1.   "On The Backs of Angels"             Petrucci           8:45
2.   "Build Me Up, Break Me Down"     Petrucci           6:59
3.   "Lost Not Forgotten"                     Petrucci            10:11
4.   "This Is The Life"                     Petrucci           6:57
5.   "Bridges In The Sky"                     Petrucci           11:03
6.   "Outcry"                                     Petrucci           11:24
7.   "Far From Heaven"                     LaBrie           3:56
8.   "Breaking All Illusions"             Myung           12:25
9.   "Beneath The Surface"             Petrucci            5:26

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:38:14 pm »

HOLY CRAP...! I don't know if this is true... But have you guys checked the track lengths of the new album?? Massive long songs!! I know it is wikipedia....but DAMN I wish someone else had posted this before if they knew.
 And according to this James only wrote the lyrics to ONE song. I'm sorry....but AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dramatic_Turn_of_Events

No.           Title                                    Lyrics         Length
1.   "On The Backs of Angels"             Petrucci           8:45
2.   "Build Me Up, Break Me Down"     Petrucci           6:59
3.   "Lost Not Forgotten"                     Petrucci            10:11
4.   "This Is The Life"                     Petrucci           6:57
5.   "Bridges In The Sky"                     Petrucci           11:03
6.   "Outcry"                                     Petrucci           11:24
7.   "Far From Heaven"                     LaBrie           3:56
8.   "Breaking All Illusions"             Myung           12:25
9.   "Beneath The Surface"             Petrucci            5:26

the album is like one second shorter then SFAM... or something like that.

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:13:17 pm »

If this is true I don't like that Petrucci wrote 7 songs.

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:04:19 pm »

EXACTLY....it was just as I expected and feared from the beginning when MP left, but if I voiced it, I knew that I would be jumped on as a negative ninny. It makes me believe it's true due to the fact that I re-listened to the track by track interview with JP and JLB and just as I remembered, 'Far From Heaven' is the only song James specifically says he wrote the lyrics for. Although he does speak in quite depth about a few of the songs lyrical content...he never said he penned them.
I don't want anyone to misinterpret my words here, because I feel that ADToE could indeed be DT's best album of maybe EVER...But with MP gone, and basically JP writing the music first and then having the others collaborate...it just seems JP has taken over as TWO people for himself. The info DOES state credits to all of the band members for 'music written by'...but even so...

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:15:21 pm »

EXACTLY....it was just as I expected and feared from the beginning when MP left, but if I voiced it, I knew that I would be jumped on as a negative ninny. It makes me believe it's true due to the fact that I re-listened to the track by track interview with JP and JLB and just as I remembered, 'Far From Heaven' is the only song James specifically says he wrote the lyrics for. Although he does speak in quite depth about a few of the songs lyrical content...he never said he penned them.
I don't want anyone to misinterpret my words here, because I feel that ADToE could indeed be DT's best album of maybe EVER...But with MP gone, and basically JP writing the music first and then having the others collaborate...it just seems JP has taken over as TWO people for himself. The info DOES state credits to all of the band members for 'music written by'...but even so...

not to sound crude, but so what? JP has so many songs written on the album... we'll all get over it.  Its more about the music the band created together then who wrote the words...

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:32:52 pm »

Not to sound negative but here is truth. JP's writing ability going down a bit after especially SFAM. I don't mean he is bad at writing, there are several good works from him lyrically but I expected they could at least share lyrics.

Anyway, doesn't matter though. If lyrics are good I'm good, If lyrics are not what I expect I'm good again.

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 09:54:52 pm »

Well... same here. But there can't be a single person on this board that didn't think or HOPE that JLB would pen lyrics for at least 3 songs. Especially since it would seem he would or could pick up the slack from 'you know who' that wrote most of the rest of the lyrics.

And I'm sorry...but each DT song that JLB writes the lyrics for ALWAYS means that much more to me, as opposed to the ones that are not. There is something about a voice that sings there OWN lyrics that makes is sound more special, more purposeful. Hence of why James so painstakingly gets into character of a lyric he hasn't written; asks the lyricist what the song is about, and then he internalizes it, understands it, builds a character, to make that song mean something more special to him, and then in turn spawns his ungodly vocal melodies.

Like I have already said probably 12 times before, MUSICALLY the songs sound to be their best album to date...but with the lack of lyrical opportunity from James it is disheartening. Especially since he only penned the lyrics to the shortest song on the album. Now, since we know he pretty much had free reign on how he attacked the soaring vocals it should make the difference though.

Hey maybe Wikipedia is full of hullabaloo...and JLB wrote 5 song lyrics.

-- William Faulkner

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 07:39:50 am »

Well, I like the lyrics to OTBOA, so I just hope the other 6 songs will be better than the silly Count of Tuscany hehehe.

jonny108

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 07:48:32 am »

The songs lengths and lyricists are true.  They've been around for a good month now  Tongue

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 08:40:28 am »

All this lyrics credits and  song lengths are bullsh*t for me, until I see proof in booklet or DT/RR website

I know the truth is out there.

marcosf

Eu sou apenas um rapaz latino americano

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:23:01 am »

As for me, I think the only reasonable way to judge this is wait for the album, listen to the songs and the lyrics and see how it comes out. There is no way we can predict that this is bad and the whole DT history, from now on, will be like that.

"History is critic, and power does not love it" G. C. Argan

jonny108

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 10:25:47 am »

All this lyrics credits and  song lengths are bullsh*t for me, until I see proof in booklet or DT/RR website

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=111612

From more than a month ago Smiley

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »

How come no one else posted this if it was like a month ago...? Geez...I feel totally out of the loop!

On a side note--so at this point just about every song has had a one minute snippet, correct? At least except for 'Outcry'? What others haven't had snippet previews?

-- William Faulkner

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 03:36:15 pm »

Personally, I don't give a crap about song lengths or who wrote what, I only care about how the thing sounds.  TCOT granted has pretty silly lyrics, but it is one of my top 10 DT songs despite cannibal curators.
The endless speculation and snipets make me wonder what the DT fans would do if DT released an album like Radiohead did on their last one.  "Oh, by the way our new release will be out in four days."  People would just drop dead!!
Everyone be patient...I'm sure this thing is going to blow all of our socks off.   

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »

How come no one else posted this if it was like a month ago...? Geez...I feel totally out of the loop!

On a side note--so at this point just about every song has had a one minute snippet, correct? At least except for 'Outcry'? What others haven't had snippet previews?

it wasn't til recently was the track listings really confirmed...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: