Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Recording  (Read 15568 times)
nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2008, 11:09:49 am »

I got bored last night, so instead of working on my scoring project, I recorded the first section of a new instrumental piece I've been slowly making up. It has three piano tracks, a cello track, a violin track, and background strings...check it out on my MySpace if you want to hear it! Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/michelleyunggar

It's the default track, first one that plays. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, too, but keep in mind that it's definitely not finished.  Tongue

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

yeshua4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 03:32:53 pm »

Nice...I am not qualified to be a critic, so I will just say that I enjoyed it.

Is anyone here a marine biologist?

nicoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 04:29:19 pm »

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated. Smiley

I'd just like to say one thing though--there is no "qualification" to be a music critic. In fact, most people who make a living critiquing music in magazines, in newspapers and in blogs have no musical training or education whatsoever, yet they're taken seriously by tons of people, from the everyday readers of their articles, their employers, to top level executives at the biggest music distribution companies in the world. Just goes to show that as long as you have an opinion, your opinion is valid. Whether others choose to take it seriously is another matter entirely, but I am one of those people who believe that all opinions are worth something: worth discussing, worth expressing, worth whatever.

If anyone else has qualms about making critiques of my or anyone else's music, please don't feel as though what you have to say is of any less value just because of what you think you know about music. You may find that you know more about music than you think, and sometimes, you might find that you know less, but opinions are not about what you know--they're about what you feel. What you feel should never be discounted by anyone.  Smiley

But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
'Cause you know

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:35:07 pm »

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated. Smiley

I'd just like to say one thing though--there is no "qualification" to be a music critic. In fact, most people who make a living critiquing music in magazines, in newspapers and in blogs have no musical training or education whatsoever, yet they're taken seriously by tons of people, from the everyday readers of their articles, their employers, to top level executives at the biggest music distribution companies in the world. Just goes to show that as long as you have an opinion, your opinion is valid. Whether others choose to take it seriously is another matter entirely, but I am one of those people who believe that all opinions are worth something: worth discussing, worth expressing, worth whatever.

If anyone else has qualms about making critiques of my or anyone else's music, please don't feel as though what you have to say is of any less value just because of what you think you know about music. You may find that you know more about music than you think, and sometimes, you might find that you know less, but opinions are not about what you know--they're about what you feel. What you feel should never be discounted by anyone.  Smiley

Amen to that!! True words. I'm going to have a listen now.

yeshua4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 05:46:48 pm »

good point!
I just meant that I can't really give any advice on the particulars since I don't know anything about instruments.  I just know I enjoyed it.

nicoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 06:12:39 pm »

That's fine, too. Smiley

If I go in rant mode at any time, it usually isn't directed at anyone in particular, but it is usually set off by little things people say. It's nothing personal. The whole thing about being qualified is something I've heard from so many people around me, and I think those people kind of get the impression that I expect a lot of analysis or something from them. That's not the case.

I only meant to express to you that whatever you say is welcome, and I'm not expecting a ten-page write-up or anything. Wink I understand that some people might not have a lot to say, and that's totally okay. I hope I didn't put any pressure on anyone here.

But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
'Cause you know

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 09:23:47 pm »

I have musical experience (8+years) and I must say I enjoyed it. The piano's did seem a little busy in comparison to the strings, But that is only what i could pick out that seemed to get me. There are many classical pieces out there that i think are too busy, and yet they are still awesome.

I can't wait to hear more!

nicoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 10:05:38 pm »

I have musical experience (8+years) and I must say I enjoyed it. The piano's did seem a little busy in comparison to the strings, But that is only what i could pick out that seemed to get me. There are many classical pieces out there that i think are too busy, and yet they are still awesome.

Haha, yeah, ABOUT them piano tracks...it would literally take two people to play the entire piano section. Wink You know those pieces called "Four Hands"? It's like that.

Thanks for your feedback! Smiley

But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
'Cause you know

yeshua4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 10:50:23 pm »

I completely understood your comment nicoli...no problem  Cool

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 11:05:26 pm »

Haha, yeah, ABOUT them piano tracks...it would literally take two people to play the entire piano section. Wink You know those pieces called "Four Hands"? It's like that.

Thanks for your feedback! Smiley

yeah i know. I figured it was something like that. And after i listened to it a few times i can make better sense of what is going on. I can't wait to hear more.

Rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 04:36:34 pm »

Good stuff, Michelle; I like the vibe you have in there.  Somewhat movie-soundtrack-like.

You do have it mixed in Mono-Left, though, which is a bit annoying when listening with headphones (which is what I have here at work); might want to check on that Smiley

nicoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 06:27:35 pm »

Good stuff, Michelle; I like the vibe you have in there.  Somewhat movie-soundtrack-like.

You do have it mixed in Mono-Left, though, which is a bit annoying when listening with headphones (which is what I have here at work); might want to check on that Smiley

Yeah, I'm sorry about the mono. Unfortunately, until I get a USB-MIDI adapter that actually works, I'm stuck using the signal cable for my amp with a 1/4"-1/8" adapter in the line-in port on my laptop...I promise one of these days I'm going to have the money to upgrade my recording system. Tongue

Thank you for the feedback!

But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
'Cause you know

Rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 10:58:11 am »

Couldn't you still set Garageband to record in mono instead of stereo? Then you could have your music panned to the center.
I know it's an easy change in Logic (Garageband's big brother), so it should be doable in Garageband...

nicoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 11:02:58 am »

Hmm...I'll see if I can figure it out. I think someone else might have told me the same thing a long time ago...I'll try.

But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
'Cause you know

SoundscapeMN

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 04:55:13 am »

hi Smiley

I like the new piece. Sounds like something a chamber group might perform?. Keep it up! : )

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: