Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Cover song: To Tame A Land  (Read 4683 times)
w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:05:53 pm »

since we already showed the other cover songs, why not show the final one. the others all had special covers...and sadly this last one really doesn't...

this is it's 'cover"

This cover isn't really news, mainly because Mike said from the start at this was on the CD, however a cover song is a cover song.

sometime soon the YTSE records will have a bootleg of cover songs from 2003-2005. (those who listened to Eddy Trunk in March, when Mike was on may remember DT's version of Sabbath's Heaven & Hell)

For those who listened to the cover when it came out with "Maiden Heaven", or those who already have their hands on the BCSL album, what are your thoughts on this cover?

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:08:19 pm »

This song has my second favorite vocalist covering my first favorite vocalist  Grin and dunno, I kinda liked Stargazer more, I think this kind of song is a bit weird for James... of course I don't expect him to match Bruce, just like I didn't expect him to live up to Dio for Stargazer (and he did an excellent job anyway), but I like this one a little less more, dunno why...

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:19:33 pm »

Well I heard it before on "Maiden Heaven", and I really liked it back then, but it was the only cover of that compilation that remained practically unchanged compared to the original - so I found that fact a bit disappointing. But again, my favourite band covering another favourite band - this is too much. And it's amazing how James actually sounds like Bruce with all those wailing vocals except maybe for the long high notes where James in fact sounds nothing but himself. Seems like his potential is almost infinite

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:55:56 am »

Interesting fact.

This cover was not done in a studio... It was done while the guys were doing sound check in Australia.

THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SONG (at least to me is does)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: