Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian May praises vocals on Dream Theater's Queen medley  (Read 18245 times)
Stephanus

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:34:27 pm »

Brian May comments on Dream Theater's Queen medley ...

Read his soapbox message on

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 03:39:16 pm »

Well, I wouldn't say he particularly comments on the vocals... He has praise for the complete song. But it's nice to read this! Obviously he didn't know Dream Theater though.

Brian, where have you been?  Wink

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:09:05 pm »

It's pretty well to hear that from Brian...

Dream Theater always cool  Kiss

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

ERiKofSWE90

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:50:58 am »

He needs to hear DT's own stuff aswell!

Cool that he liked the vocals too, must be hard to satisfy Queen fans on that point.

Hope James sees this!! He must be very proud.

rest in peace Mulle 2001-2010

Krahn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:05:55 am »

Wow, that's pretty cool! Cool

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:52:24 pm »

Indeed, so cool that he liked it!!  Cool

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Stephanus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 01:23:41 pm »

From BrianMay.com:

But I was also, by one of those strange alignments of the planets, able to see the band who have just delivered what my mate Rog called (totally unprompted last week) "The best Queen cover job ever". Yes, the redoubtable Dream Theatre. IT was a revelation. Their scope is way beyond covering Ancient Rock Bands, of course ... and actually way beyond Rock, I'd say. They are what would have been called, about 30 years ago - truly 'progressive, with more than a touch of fusion'. But their musicianship is way beyond even that. The whole band are virtuosos ... I'm kind of ashamed I never discovered them before. Their set was completely without any hint of 'playing to the Gallery'. They took their time mapping out their songs, which I can only say succulently drip with the best kind of complexity. Wonderful playing. I will be back for more. So will about 80,000 Classic Rock fans who gave them a great reception in the old "Monsters of Rock" fields - what we all used to know as the Donnington Castle gig.

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 05:02:41 pm »

That's awesome!! also on MP.com Mike is all so happy and excited saying how Brian May was invited to watch the show, loved it, and complimented him for handling all the background vocals alone... but damn Brian just say something nice about James as well!!!  Grin

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 06:29:02 pm »

That's awesome!! also on MP.com Mike is all so happy and excited saying how Brian May was invited to watch the show, loved it, and complimented him for handling all the background vocals alone... but damn Brian just say something nice about James as well!!!  Grin

"The whole band are virtuosos"

I just thought that might refer to James as well Wink

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

dinka

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 04:29:50 pm »

I couldn't resist to tell this story to my mom just as I've been reading it. You have to know, my musicianship comes rather from my dad, mom couldn't sing a lullaby. =)
So her first reaction was: how come, he did not know them before? Cheesy

For myself: I am so happy for this. Btw, he couldn't have said the cover or the show was bad, he has some serious ears, right?  Grin

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 03:20:41 pm »

Brian made another comment about the cover:

Brian May:

But I was also, by one of those strange alignments of the planets, able to see the band who have just delivered what my mate Rog called (totally unprompted last week) "The best Queen cover job ever". Yes, the redoubtable Dream Theatre. IT was a revelation. Their scope is way beyond covering Ancient Rock Bands, of course ... and actually way beyond Rock, I'd say. They are what would have been called, about 30 years ago - truly 'progressive, with more than a touch of fusion'. But their musicianship is way beyond even that. The whole band are virtuosos ... I'm kind of ashamed I never discovered them before. Their set was completely without any hint of 'playing to the Gallery'. They took their time mapping out their songs, which I can only say succulently drip with the best kind of complexity. Wonderful playing. I will be back for more. So will about 80,000 Classic Rock fans who gave them a great reception in the old "Monsters of Rock" fields - what we all used to know as the Donnington Castle gig.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

This is just me, but it doesn't prove that in the 80's and 90's MTV decided which bands were going to be in the spot light and which were going to be shoved underground. ironical my dad and i were having a discussion about this yesterday. MTV made bands do certain things to stay in the light (which ultimately reflected in the labels) and if those "ideas" where not meet, esp if the band only had one hit under their belt, they were dropped and labeled one-hit wonders. YET there are many "one-hit wonders" (Dream Theater being labeled as one for the longest time) who made a come back without the use of MTV, and VH1 and are still going strong, and are getting stronger.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: