Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: James Labrie Scream  (Read 18351 times)
Epitaph04

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2008, 02:53:28 am »

Hello forum.

I recently came across this little webpage called the "James LaBrie Scream" or whatever. I realize it's old and many of you may have seen it already.

http://jlbscream.ytmnd.com/

Does anybody know what song JLB is singing later on on the webpage where he holds a really long note? It's after the Learning to Live F note.

Hell, I'd like to know what many of the songs he is singing are. I already know that 3 of them are LtL, The Killing Hand, and Take the Time. What are the rest of the songs called?

Thanks.

lutima

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 03:32:47 am »

It's 'Saved by Love' from the Winter Rose album  Cool and more sreams of this album as well  Cheesy...
it's a MUST have  Wink

Eva
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 05:34:05 am »

I can scream like that  Cheesy

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 01:35:40 pm »

Without someone hurting you??  Shocked

Krahn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:00:50 am »

This is so cool.
James reacted to this stuff several years ago. I don't remember what he said clearly, but he made a joke about this screamer. That was funny. Grin

Omunae

We are forever eternal prisoners in time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 07:30:05 pm »

Honestly that type of high screaming is one of the easiest things to do, just raise your falsetto voice as high as you can and scream at the same time, try it sometime when your driving alone in the car lol. I was listening/singing to Def Leppard Pyromania on the way home today, and the type of singing Joe Elliot does is challenging, which is the way I think James used to sing a lot in the earlier days when he had a real raspiness to his singing, because I just can't for the life of me figure out how they sing in like a mid range/lower type of voice, or if it's falsetto still or what, and still have that raspiness in it because my voice tends to crack a lot when i try to go down to a certain note and still retain that effect. So it must be something you have to adapt your voice to after doing it a lot for a while, or it's just something some people are born with.

Make us whole. Migrator Soul
Follow me home. Complete the circle
We must survive. Restore our lives
The way I'll show. Complete the circle

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 08:03:57 pm »

I think some people just have to have the range and the skills to do high notes like those that James did in his Winter Rose days and even early DT...

I do agree with Omunae though. You just have to work at it.. and it takes time, esp when you are trying to do it properly.

For myself... I can't sing in "falsetto" or even high notes (alto or high tenor) for that matter... My range is like Mid tenor to High bass. (which is odd for a woman) But i see that being mainly because I play bass instruments (trombone, bass guitar) and I can match those notes without having to change octaves... but also the issues i've had in the past with my throat, (allergies, bronchitis) i've had to learn to deal with that. You adapt, and more on... When i was in a garage band... there were times I was used for certain songs because of what i could do (Enter Sandman was always one of them)... and oddly one of them was sounding like James in my middle range (which i found very odd...) and yet the guitarist still wishes we could have done Comfortably Numb, the way Geof and James sang it...

liquid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 01:40:01 am »

I wish he would do at least some of those screams every now and then. It just fits more in a live environment, makes the songs more dynamic and just plain kick ass. I wonder if doing so many high and edgy screams like that didn't do some damage since he hasn't done them in years, even now when he has fully recovered he continues to omit them.

Eva
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 06:12:00 am »

Honestly that type of high screaming is one of the easiest things to do, just raise your falsetto voice as high as you can and scream at the same time,

Which falsetto??? I'm a woman....  ;-)
(Yes, I know, that we have "registers", too -> I'm not sure if it's that word in English... But you say Falsetto only for the male voice.)

And yes, Martijn, withoug someone hurting me Cheesy

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 04:39:07 pm »

They should do a YTMND for Brad Delp in "More Than a Feeling."  Cheesy

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know