Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Question for Mr. LaBrie-On Your Vibrato  (Read 4060 times)
ViolinTheater

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2009, 03:41:10 pm »

*Edit* I realize that this was started by Mr. LaBrie on his topic on singing, but these are a few specific questions in mind that I had for why and how he achieves his wonderful tone of voice.

Mr. LaBrie, let me first start off by saying what an inspiration you are to me.  Your singing is so fantastic, in every live setting and in every studio release you put out, whether it be a project, solo album or Dream Theater.

I have noticed that your style of vibrato has changed over the years.  You still have such a powerful vibrato with many different speeds, ranges, and widths, (just compare Never Enough, to your EXCELLENT cover of Stargazer), but on many of your more recent studio releases, especially from Dream Theater, from Scenes from a Memory and on, I notice that you like to take a much cleaner tone of voice, without much vibrato, such as on Forsaken (High A), and Strange Deja Vu.  What prompts you to choose what notes, and on what songs to use vibrato, or no vibrato, and what kind of vibrato you use?  Because I know it's not because vibrato's hard for you-you have some of the best technique I have ever heard.

And on the same note, I have noticed that you recently have a different technique for reaching higher notes.  In your younger days, you kind of pushed to get those high powerful notes (which still sounded absolutely PHENOMENAL), but nowadays you have a much more relaxed approach that creates a much different, richer, "operatic" sound in your high notes, for example in your recent performances of Voices, and Surrounded.  Was studying with your vocal coach a cause for that?  However, in either case, I love your voice, and you put your musical DNA on every single note you sing.

I am sorry for hampering you with questions, but you are such an idol to me, and I don't mind if you don't answer because you are so busy.  Other people are more than welcome to chip in!

Brian
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 03:48:41 pm by ViolinTheater » Logged

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 05:58:13 pm »

I'm sure James will answer your questions. But yeah, he is so busy this time around...

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

ERiKofSWE90

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:48:09 pm »

wow I dont think anyone can say any more kind things about James voice! DNA in every note...? Its like poetry! Grin

I think hes vibrato is just taste when to use it. He did used it more often when he was younger and it sounds like hes technic has changed a bit now to a more operatic sound.

rest in peace Mulle 2001-2010

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: