Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
  Print  
Author Topic: New Dream Theater Album: A Dramatic Turn of Events  (Read 142646 times)
Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2011, 07:05:38 pm »

I love this album and I love that MM is in the band.  MPs comments on the subject are irrelevant, I couldn't give a damn what MP has to say, he's gone and I wouldn't want to see him back.

This statement here is perfect. Feels like you read my mind.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »

Yeah I really do not find the comparisons to I&W at all.

There's plenty, but I can't work out whether it's a respectful nod, a concious decision or just plain coincidence...

The songs are not copies, it's not the notes, it's the structures, for example...

On Backs of Angels / Pull Me Under - starts with slow guitar, builds with mellow keyboard lead over quiet drum fills.  Goes into big intro with full band then drops into a syncapated Drum/Guitar riff.

Far From Heaven / Wait For Sleep - quiet, reflective keyboard/vocal track leading into...

Breaking All Illusions/Learning To Live - Complicated Keyboard/Guitar riff to open, leading into section with entire band which leads into quiet Bass/Drum section with subtle vocals from JLB etc etc...

It's all about the structure of the songs.  Don't get me wrong, I love this album, but I can understand the I&W comparisons.

Now I get it... and that one Brazilian started it all, right? Then people agreed... I think you can only hear it prejudiced. You can hear what you want to hear and see what you want to see, right? That's how conspiracy theories come to life Wink For me, this is just plain ridiculous, this comparison. What you write here is so strange and vague.

"starts with slow guitar, builds with mellow keyboard lead over quiet drum fills.  Goes into big intro with full band then drops into a syncapated Drum/Guitar riff".

Now this is so extremely general, extremely. How many Dream Theater song start slowly? I can think of a dozen. You can listen and analyse, and for sure a lot of song fit in. Goes into big intro with full band... Yeah, at one point after a slow, quiet intro the band kicks in. How surprising Wink

My point is that I just don't believe in this, and for sure DT is not trying to rewrite the history. I am now coming to the purpose of this theory. What's the use of finding these comparisons? In my opinion, it's malicious. And to end my words, do you realize that you can compare a 100 songs like this? Hell, if you only look at structures, you can find striking similiarities between Dream Theater and a zillion of other bands. And essentially, because almost all music has structures, you can find similiarities.

For me, it would be like saying the Empire State Building and the Sears Tower are similiar. Similiar, yes. They're both made of a structure with lots of steel and concrete. Get my drift?  Grin

EXACTLY Dargor. I can see definitely see the 'similarity' to Learning to Live with Breaking All Illusions... But I could also say This is the Life reminds me of The Spirit Carries on, and Outcry reminds me of Blind Faith
Again, if I would compare ADOTE to any other albums it is still definitely Awake and 6DOIT...Do I think DT was giving any nod to those albums? Not really or not necessarily... DT has their distinct killer style and do whatever they want!

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2011, 09:30:03 am »

Now I get it... and that one Brazilian started it all, right? Then people agreed...

I had to do some googling to understand this. Now I know what you guys are talking about.

I LOVE this album, but I DID find a similarity in structure between Pull Me Under and OTBOA one day while walking with my headphones on. The rest of the comparison is just far-fetched to me, and I do NOT think at all that DT are repeating themselves on purpose in any way. To me the album sounds fresh and modern, whilst trying to grasp some of their original sound, which used to get lost lately because of MP wanting them to rip off other bands, namely Muse or Metallica.

As for MP commenting, we have a saying in my country, which roughly translated would be something like: "You look prettier when you're quiet". I knew he would break his silence eventually, and not for a good reason. Now he will keep saying that the band just "re-writes its past" since he's gone. Like Dave52 says, I don't want MP back in the band. I love the whole album and the current line-up, so no reason for nostalgia here.

ADTOE is hell of an album!!!

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2011, 12:55:51 pm »

I'm still twisting in agony waiting for my CD to come with the rest of my Amazon order. Listening to you all rave about the album is making me want it even more!

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2011, 03:00:20 pm »

BOUGHT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Grin

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2011, 03:06:40 pm »

I'm still twisting in agony waiting for my CD to come with the rest of my Amazon order. Listening to you all rave about the album is making me want it even more!

yeah I am still waiting for the box set from RR and Omega Order...

from the digital download though, I can assure you that it is a great album.

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2011, 04:11:15 pm »

Omega Order/Box Set Update
via email:

Attention Dream Theater Fans!

Thanks again for pre-ordering the new Boxset.

We would like to let you all know that Roadrunner just guranteed us that the box sets will be in our warehouse on Monday the 19th of September.

We will be shipping them all out as they come in. 

Hope this quells some of your dissappointment. Even though we have not seen one yet either, they are suposed to be VERY cool.

Please let us know if you have any questions by making a case on our customer support page.

The Omega Mailorder.

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2011, 11:25:39 am »

A GREAT interview with MM about his rig, for those that are interesting.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/09/15/rigged-dream-theaters-mike-mangini-takes-you-through-every-piece-of-his-mega-drumkit-part-1/#more-72387

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2011, 11:51:08 am »

Yes, that's a great interview. Thank you for the link. 

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2011, 01:35:32 pm »

Is this guy for real?  The stuff he has trained himself to do is absolutely sick.  Unless you have ever played the drums, you have no idea how difficult it is to switch the hi-hat playing to your opposite foot.  It takes so much practice, most people (including myself) would say "why bother?"  Of course, MM does it just to get better and better.  His instructional books get into this as to the mind/body relationship in playing and are quite fascinating. 

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2011, 02:03:34 pm »

Is this guy for real?  The stuff he has trained himself to do is absolutely sick.  Unless you have ever played the drums, you have no idea how difficult it is to switch the hi-hat playing to your opposite foot.  It takes so much practice, most people (including myself) would say "why bother?"  Of course, MM does it just to get better and better.  His instructional books get into this as to the mind/body relationship in playing and are quite fascinating. 

I'm no drummer, but I understand what he explains about his technique... and is sick! (In the admiration sense of the word). The guy is really an octopus. I want him to stay for good with the band.

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2011, 05:54:08 pm »

BTW, here's Petrucci and Portnoy discussing the new album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XX9NapOh4U&feature=share

Grin

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2011, 06:38:12 pm »

Are there REAL thoughts from MP on the new album? Links? I would be pretty interested to hear or read that. One wonders if he can take a slice of humble pie.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2011, 07:24:59 pm »

Are there REAL thoughts from MP on the new album? Links? I would be pretty interested to hear or read that. One wonders if he can take a slice of humble pie.

his twitter has been all about Anthrax and other releases. He's been rather silent about DT's album there. I can tell you that much.

Irock

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2011, 11:47:49 pm »

The only thing I've seen him say is this:

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2666577&mpage=100#2706658

He also called some other album "progressive metal album of the year" and then a bunch of people were mad at him for not even mentioning ADToE.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
  Print  

Jump to: