Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
  Print  
Author Topic: New Dream Theater Album: A Dramatic Turn of Events  (Read 142672 times)
Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:09 pm »

Picking up my copy at midnight...I had no idea they were have a midnight release 2 miles from my house...!!

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Dave52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2011, 01:13:54 am »

Got my copy yesterday.  I've only had one play through - but so far, so freaking good.  So much to digest, but I love what I've heard.  With regard to the production - it sounds ace.  The drums are not as in your face as MP tends to mix them, but the kit sits nicely in the mix.  It's gonna take a ton of listens to pick up all the clever stuff that MM is putting out there - but it is there.

Well done DT, this is gonna turn out to be one of the best - and there doesn't seem to be any fillers, something that I've found on the last few releases.  There, I've said it.

PS - I get the I&W comparisons, but it's a really, really good thing.

Blue and red of day, to purple night, to absent light, to disarray.

elizaalltiedup

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2011, 02:52:14 am »

ADTOE is awesome, the best since SFAM imo. James sounds absolutely INCREDIBLE, he clearly doesn't need anyone telling him how to sing!

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2011, 09:54:36 am »

Got my copy yesterday.  I've only had one play through - but so far, so freaking good.  So much to digest, but I love what I've heard.  With regard to the production - it sounds ace.  The drums are not as in your face as MP tends to mix them, but the kit sits nicely in the mix.  It's gonna take a ton of listens to pick up all the clever stuff that MM is putting out there - but it is there.

Well done DT, this is gonna turn out to be one of the best - and there doesn't seem to be any fillers, something that I've found on the last few releases.  There, I've said it.

PS - I get the I&W comparisons, but it's a really, really good thing.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2011, 01:36:44 pm »

What the hell, can't wait 'til saturday, I will have dinner a bit earlier and then rush to a nearby megastore before it closes to get it  Grin

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2011, 01:49:03 pm »

How can people come up with all these comparisions between I&W and ADTOE??  To me both albums have nothing in common. And Under A Glass Moon should be Lost Not Forgotten. As a test, I kept on switching between the songs the last 30 minutes or so. Comparing structures, melodies, vocal lines, themes... etc.

Result??

Both songs have as much in common as the Pope and Barack Obama  Wink

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2011, 03:11:02 pm »

What the hell, can't wait 'til saturday, I will have dinner a bit earlier and then rush to a nearby megastore before it closes to get it  Grin

Went to the store 10 minutes before closing time and it was already closed. DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Irock

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2011, 06:16:24 pm »

Just picked up my copy and listening to it now. Already, I can tell that On the Backs of Angels sounds significantly more awesome at lossless quality. I'm noticing little things I didn't before.

I went for the special edition even though I've already seen The Spirit Carries On. I wish I could have afforded the box set. ;_;

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2011, 07:01:59 pm »

The boxset looks so cool... I might get it after all, if I can make my piggy bank learn to grow money in his belly.

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2011, 07:45:27 pm »

Great interview with Mike Mangini. The guy is so humble and classy. Just look at the way he answers the question about MP coming back for a DT reunion. http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/dream-theaters-mike-mangini-on-drumming-with-prog-metals-kings-496667

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »

Yeah I really do not find the comparisons to I&W at all. I have listened to the album about 6 times all the way through now. The mix is INCREDIBLE. The drums I feel are still loud and kickin', I played this album ALL DAY in my art classes. My students were SOOOOOO into it! Many of my students know of Dream Theater because of me, but all my NEW students this year were constantly asking me, "what is this??" It's always hilarious to see their reaction when I play a song, and tell them, "Oh this song is only 11 minutes."

If I had to compare this to 2 albums it is easily Awake and 6DOIT. The aggressiveness of Awake and the more technicality of 6DOIT... Definitely has some vibes of SFAM. I was kinda worried that ADTOE was going to be more 'rock' than 'metal'... HELL NO... this easily is the heaviest album they have ever done next to TOT. Seriously it' is practically full onslaught non-stop, with just the right breather and balance to each song and ballad. And 'Far From Heaven' is the most beautiful ballad of DT has ever written...Maybe 'Disappear' is still tied. Sure enough I will be playing this album to dust for 6 weeks straight....DT's best album in 12 years!!!

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Dave52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2011, 04:30:55 am »

Yeah I really do not find the comparisons to I&W at all.

There's plenty, but I can't work out whether it's a respectful nod, a concious decision or just plain coincidence...

The songs are not copies, it's not the notes, it's the structures, for example...

On Backs of Angels / Pull Me Under - starts with slow guitar, builds with mellow keyboard lead over quiet drum fills.  Goes into big intro with full band then drops into a syncapated Drum/Guitar riff.

Far From Heaven / Wait For Sleep - quiet, reflective keyboard/vocal track leading into...

Breaking All Illusions/Learning To Live - Complicated Keyboard/Guitar riff to open, leading into section with entire band which leads into quiet Bass/Drum section with subtle vocals from JLB etc etc...

It's all about the structure of the songs.  Don't get me wrong, I love this album, but I can understand the I&W comparisons.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:52:02 am by Dave52 » Logged

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:47 am »

Great interview with Mike Mangini. The guy is so humble and classy. Just look at the way he answers the question about MP coming back for a DT reunion. http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/dream-theaters-mike-mangini-on-drumming-with-prog-metals-kings-496667

My man-crush on Mangini has officially reached shameful levels.  Pure class with mad skills.  When I grow up, I wanna be like Mike!

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »

Yeah I really do not find the comparisons to I&W at all.

There's plenty, but I can't work out whether it's a respectful nod, a concious decision or just plain coincidence...

The songs are not copies, it's not the notes, it's the structures, for example...

On Backs of Angels / Pull Me Under - starts with slow guitar, builds with mellow keyboard lead over quiet drum fills.  Goes into big intro with full band then drops into a syncapated Drum/Guitar riff.

Far From Heaven / Wait For Sleep - quiet, reflective keyboard/vocal track leading into...

Breaking All Illusions/Learning To Live - Complicated Keyboard/Guitar riff to open, leading into section with entire band which leads into quiet Bass/Drum section with subtle vocals from JLB etc etc...

It's all about the structure of the songs.  Don't get me wrong, I love this album, but I can understand the I&W comparisons.

Now I get it... and that one Brazilian started it all, right? Then people agreed... I think you can only hear it prejudiced. You can hear what you want to hear and see what you want to see, right? That's how conspiracy theories come to life Wink For me, this is just plain ridiculous, this comparison. What you write here is so strange and vague.

"starts with slow guitar, builds with mellow keyboard lead over quiet drum fills.  Goes into big intro with full band then drops into a syncapated Drum/Guitar riff".

Now this is so extremely general, extremely. How many Dream Theater song start slowly? I can think of a dozen. You can listen and analyse, and for sure a lot of song fit in. Goes into big intro with full band... Yeah, at one point after a slow, quiet intro the band kicks in. How surprising Wink

My point is that I just don't believe in this, and for sure DT is not trying to rewrite the history. I am now coming to the purpose of this theory. What's the use of finding these comparisons? In my opinion, it's malicious. And to end my words, do you realize that you can compare a 100 songs like this? Hell, if you only look at structures, you can find striking similiarities between Dream Theater and a zillion of other bands. And essentially, because almost all music has structures, you can find similiarities.

For me, it would be like saying the Empire State Building and the Sears Tower are similiar. Similiar, yes. They're both made of a structure with lots of steel and concrete. Get my drift?  Grin

Dave52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2011, 06:41:26 pm »

I'm just saying that I can understand the comparisons in the song structure.  It's not a conspiracy, and trust me - I love this album and I love that MM is in the band.  MPs comments on the subject are irrelevant, I couldn't give a damn what MP has to say, he's gone and I wouldn't want to see him back.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
  Print  

Jump to: