Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: New Dream Theater Album: A Dramatic Turn of Events  (Read 143262 times)
Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2011, 03:20:20 am »

My copy is on the way. Probably i'll get it tomorrow. YAY!

So is mine Smiley Ordered on play.com

Araxes

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2011, 06:53:08 am »

The album is streaming from Roadrunner's web page. Is it OK to discuss it??

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2011, 10:53:59 am »

I just read on some other forum that ADTOE debuted #1 in Japan!!! Here's the link with the news:

http://www.bravewords.com/news/168639

I'm proud of Dream Theater!!! I love this band and will always support them!

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2011, 12:12:52 pm »

I poked on the Roadrunner German site to feed my curiousity, but it didn't work so I'm back to waiting.  It is going to be a long weekend.

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2011, 01:00:31 pm »

The album is streaming from Roadrunner's web page. Is it OK to discuss it??

well it is on the label's website Smiley so that makes it legal to talk about...

and i think Karma has got me back... I could see the update to the site yesterday, and today I can't find the stream of the album. C'est La Vie...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:31:02 pm by w34vi1 » Logged

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2011, 01:45:03 pm »

Damn, now I'm torn. If it's on their label, it means they just want people to hear it..... but I'm still determined to wait for the purchase of the actual CD..... damn!!!!

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2011, 01:47:46 pm »

"A Dramatic Turn Of Events" is SPECTACULAR. Simply sensational. I am deeply impressed and overwhelmed.
I LOVE Beneath the Surface, a wonderful ballad (but not a standard ballad) and I love the instrumental parts in Outcry and Breaking All Illusions. The guitar solo in This Is The Life is amazing and Bridges in the Sky has a brilliant intro (I can't wait to hear this song live) and I love Far from Heaven - it is short, but so beautiful and emotional. James' singing sounds incredible. I adore his voice. It is so emotional and expressive. We are extremely impressed. We LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Dream Theater!!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:06:57 pm by diana » Logged

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2011, 02:56:05 pm »

I am absolutely in love with Beneath the Surface and Far from Heaven ... so beautiful ...

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2011, 03:02:57 pm »

I have 3 new releases this week to look forward to: 
ADTOE
Thor
X-Men

Wowowowowow!!!!!!

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2011, 03:19:05 pm »

Once again the meanings are very divided. I've read lots of reviews on the net the past week, and some people even claim this album is very bad  Grin Apparently this cd is not to everyone's taste. Review scores on sites where people can vote indicate this one gets a 3.8/3.9 out of 5. On Progarchives especially there are some bad reviews on this album.

You can picture how some start their review. 'I've been a DT-fan for 10 year, I love the band, etc, etc. But... (and here it comes), I really can't stand this album'. Some say This Is The Life is utterly boring, and that they just recycled old albums and all that shit. It annoys me deeply. It's like people complain about the fact this Dream Theater-album sounds like a Dream Theater-album.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2011, 04:07:19 pm »

These are the losers that have probably never been to a DT concert, probably own like 1 or 2 albums, and illegally download all the rest(if that). In fact, I would bet money they have NEVER seen them live. I rarely will read reviews...I just don't need to get all flamed up from the hating for the sake of hating on DT....Just reading your post about these 'fans' started to burn my blood. I will say this: The new album definitely needs to take a few spins to absorb it. But...doesn't ANY DT album?
I am so sick of people saying that a DT album just sounds like another DT album. WHAT OTHER BAND SOUNDS ANYTHING LIKE DT?? Oh Hells yeah, 100 bands try COPYING DT for sure...
So if a DT album sounds like....a DT album...there's an issue with that?? What?? Do they want DT to sound like Avenge Sevenfold now, or something?? Yeah...coz DT would sound GREAT trying to imitate Papa Roach....wouldn't they??
Arrrrr Dargs, you got me all fired up now, damn it!

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2011, 04:24:24 pm »

Calm down... take a deep breath, close your eyes... count to 10, or 100... then breath again. Relax  Wink These people exist. But in some sense the 'bad reviews' are funny. In the sense that they are predictable. I've read the very same after Octavarium, after Systematic Chaos... and after BC & SL... don't get me started  Cheesy

I do read the meanings out of interest. It also shows that music sounds different for everyone. What I just never will get is how people can claim they are a fan, and still give this album two stars out of five. You can tell a lot about this new album, and there is a lot to say for sure, but it racks up among the best!!

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2011, 04:56:22 pm »

heh i still can't find the stream of the album...  Sad and I am still waiting for the information saying that my box set has been sent. Ah well... if i can last til the 12th I can get it when RR lets me download it (LEGALLY)

jonny108

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2011, 07:44:22 am »

heh i still can't find the stream of the album...  Sad and I am still waiting for the information saying that my box set has been sent. Ah well... if i can last til the 12th I can get it when RR lets me download it (LEGALLY)
\

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.de/page/webwheel+DreamTheater

and you haven't had the email yet? You should have it Monday probably. Or tomorrow.

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2011, 09:01:21 am »

Once again the meanings are very divided. I've read lots of reviews on the net the past week, and some people even claim this album is very bad  Grin Apparently this cd is not to everyone's taste. Review scores on sites where people can vote indicate this one gets a 3.8/3.9 out of 5. On Progarchives especially there are some bad reviews on this album.

You can picture how some start their review. 'I've been a DT-fan for 10 year, I love the band, etc, etc. But... (and here it comes), I really can't stand this album'. Some say This Is The Life is utterly boring, and that they just recycled old albums and all that shit. It annoys me deeply. It's like people complain about the fact this Dream Theater-album sounds like a Dream Theater-album.

These are the losers that have probably never been to a DT concert, probably own like 1 or 2 albums, and illegally download all the rest(if that). In fact, I would bet money they have NEVER seen them live. I rarely will read reviews...I just don't need to get all flamed up from the hating for the sake of hating on DT....Just reading your post about these 'fans' started to burn my blood. I will say this: The new album definitely needs to take a few spins to absorb it. But...doesn't ANY DT album?
I am so sick of people saying that a DT album just sounds like another DT album. WHAT OTHER BAND SOUNDS ANYTHING LIKE DT?? Oh Hells yeah, 100 bands try COPYING DT for sure...
So if a DT album sounds like....a DT album...there's an issue with that?? What?? Do they want DT to sound like Avenge Sevenfold now, or something?? Yeah...coz DT would sound GREAT trying to imitate Papa Roach....wouldn't they??
Arrrrr Dargs, you got me all fired up now, damn it!
I also have read some reports and I was surprised by the negative reviews of some fans. Some reviews seem to me extreme. Absolutely insubstantial and indiscriminate. Well ... but generally, the resonance is extremely positive (here in Germany - not only among fans but also in the press) and the grumblers need to make way Smiley. I personally love the album in all its facets. I love the overall compositions, the harmonies, the melodies, the vocal lines - I especially adore "Far From Heaven", the piano accompaniments are equal in status to the vocal lines as well as highly sensitive and varied. So wonderful. The instrumental parts in "Outcry" and "Breaking All Illusions" are really spectacular. And "This Is The Life" is anything but boring.
"A Dramatic Turn Of Events" is an absolute masterpiece, compositionally brilliant (in my opinion). Excellent!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:03:23 pm by diana » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: