Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: New Dream Theater Album: A Dramatic Turn of Events  (Read 142669 times)
Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 01:08:03 pm »

I see your point too, Donna. I don't like it when people say "they should have done this and that, it should have sounded like this..." myself, especially when they're saying it on artist's official board. Let's agree on that.
I can absolutely see the reasons behind that title - and frankly, every DT fan who hasn't been living under a rock for the last 9 months or so must see it too. I never questioned that and won't do it now. They did what they thought was right, and honestly I'm not a bit less excited about the release. it's the music that matters the most. For God's sake.
But... I'm pretty stoked to see answers to the BIG QUESTION. Just for the kicks. I hope no one takes it serious.
I can even begin (just to show you how pointless and stupid it looks)
Where Did The Rudess Hat Go? (Rather philosophical one)
Radioactive Mice and Theory of Relativity (very proggy)
Metropolis Part 3 (kind of obvious one)
The Suicidal Lemmings Riot
The Starbucks Chronicles
The Big Shock, or Why It's Never Good To Google Your Own Name If You're Famous (a bit too long but we're talking PROG here)

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 01:13:02 pm »

I rather think the title is a bit tongue in cheek, like they are poking fun at how dramatic everything got for a while there. It's clever. I mean normally, the guys are ANYTHING but dramatic.

marcosf

Eu sou apenas um rapaz latino americano

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 02:28:26 pm »

What would YOU name it? 

Put it out here and let's see your suggestions.   

I honestly, though it might sound simple and less creative, was expecting a self titled album. That's would be my choice. You know, Dream Theater. I would try to show that despite the dramatic turn of events, we're still the band our fans have followed. However, I don't dislike the title they had chosen.

"History is critic, and power does not love it" G. C. Argan

Subu

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 02:47:41 pm »

Fans trying to tell a band what to name their album is, to my mind, like a viewer telling Da Vinci that the Mona Lisa smile needs teeth.....c'mon....who CARES what the album is titlled as long as the music ROCKS?  I'm willing to bet no one who has posted their "opinions" would care for others telling them what to name their kid, how to dress or what to listen to (even though the person offering such "advice" would likely adamently defend their right to voice *their* opinion!)......I agree with Donna....very disrepsectful.  DT are brilliant artists - do they need people telling them how to create?  No way.......

However, that said, the idea of leaking info is to get a buzz going about the new cd, get people interested and wanting to purchase and go to the live shows......as Michael Jackson used to say, "there is no such thing as bad publicity"........ so, all this chatter and useless speculation keeps the album in the forefront of buyers minds....and that is a good thing as far as DT is concerned. 

I'll wait to hear the album and let the music speak for itself......I have far too much to do in life to get all worked up over an album title...... Wink

‎"Accomplishment breeds confidence, insecurity breeds arrogance" - me

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 04:36:25 pm »

Who knows...it's still more than 90 days until the release, maybe they will change the title  Roll Eyes ...

I listened to 'Awake' twice today. I think it has been close to 2 years since I have listened to that straight through...and 2 times no less. Damn, EVEN I forgot there were 11 whole tracks and close to 80 minutes of music. SOOOooooo hopefully with 9 tracks on ADToE, there will certainly be a couple longer epics. I definitely consider Voices and Scarred epics. I have to admit, I like the longer track listing just because there should me more varied songs, and 9 tracks means 9 songs of James singing his heart out. Unless The Shaman's Trance is an instrumental. Hey the 6:30 minutes songs are more accessible, and if this new album gains DT even MORE success, record sales, radio play, ALL THE BETTER!

And BTW, Mummi---Rhapsody of Fire is my OTHER all time favorite band, so if the new DT album title sounds like them--- ALL THE BETTER! LOL.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

heylchick

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 07:07:37 pm »

This thread brings a ton of deja vu for all of us.  With the band changing drummers, and a new album...of course this is going to insight criticism and drama...wouldn't be DT world without it. I am going to TRY and put my two cents in.  I am a simple, less eloquent person when putting my thoughts together..but let me take a stab at the DT album dilemma presented here in this thread.

Dream Theater means a lot to me.  Their music has gotten me through some tough times, helped me grow emotionally, brought positivity in a world of insanity and MOST importantly; gave me the gift of life-long friendships in this forum and other related DT forums.

My mind is trying to comprehend the thought of people in any capacity "jumping the gun" and already start criticizing and surmising "A Dramatic Turn of Events" before the project is even released.  If you think that this new phase of Dream Theater has been easy for the band members, their family and friends, the record label and the fans..I am confident guessing that it hasn't. What we need is more support in a positive way..not people being bringing their opinions that are not conducive to helping the band. People are absolutely entitled to their opinion....but DON"T COME to a band members site...put your criticism in, and then NOT expect to not be agreed with or then challenged- that is totally unrealistic.  We're entitled to our opinion too, right?  I rather spend my energy on my family and friendships than posting in a band members forum that I am a fan of to purposely to portray myself as a "naysayer" in any shape or form.  If I have a bad things to say (trust me, I have had a TON of things to say about DT)...I say it privately to my friends, or just "let it be".

Feel free to discuss my opinion.  Looking forward to the new DT journey.  Thank you DT, thank you forum, thank you friends.

P.S. Donna..I have your chap stick right here. I will kiss your ass any time  Kiss

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:12:12 pm by heylchick » Logged

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »

OMGosh, girl.....you NEVER need to.  All I need to do is turn my "Tinkie lantern" on in my window sill, and it's allllllllllllllllllllllllll good.

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

heylchick

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 07:32:32 pm »

OMGosh, girl.....you NEVER need to.  All I need to do is turn my "Tinkie lantern" on in my window sill, and it's allllllllllllllllllllllllll good.

Damn strait.  I am here for you anytime. For the endless, thankless job that you have done here...kudos and cheers to you.  James should be proud of how tasteful things were handled in here over the years, and how you shaped a forum with approaching/enforcing a positive tone.

Thanks my bella.

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 01:59:00 am »

Who knows...it's still more than 90 days until the release, maybe they will change the title  Roll Eyes ...

I listened to 'Awake' twice today. I think it has been close to 2 years since I have listened to that straight through...and 2 times no less. Damn, EVEN I forgot there were 11 whole tracks and close to 80 minutes of music. SOOOooooo hopefully with 9 tracks on ADToE, there will certainly be a couple longer epics. I definitely consider Voices and Scarred epics. I have to admit, I like the longer track listing just because there should me more varied songs, and 9 tracks means 9 songs of James singing his heart out. Unless The Shaman's Trance is an instrumental. Hey the 6:30 minutes songs are more accessible, and if this new album gains DT even MORE success, record sales, radio play, ALL THE BETTER!

And BTW, Mummi---Rhapsody of Fire is my OTHER all time favorite band, so if the new DT album title sounds like them--- ALL THE BETTER! LOL.
For some reason when I saw the playlist and title of the new album, I immedately drew parallels with Awake.I wonder if I'm right or wrong about it. Well, no 2 DT albums are ever the same. So I'm very much looking forward to hearing some new tricks, a little change of sound maybe. And I can only hope the lyrics will not be so straightforward as ANTR or TCOT off the previous album this time, I like a good deal of subtlety in lyrics. Yeah, I'm the bad guy, the naysayer and criticizing the album before it's even out, we've been through that, no need to start it all over Smiley
Also, I would very much like The Shaman's Trance to be an instrumental. We haven't  had a proper LP instrumental from DT since what, ToT? I miss that, too.

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 08:10:54 am »

The title sounds like something Iron Maiden would put out..LOL

Anyways, I don't like the title but the music is what counts. Let's see what DT comes up with. I think it's going to be a superb release!

Natt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 09:19:27 am »

Anyways, I don't like the title but the music is what counts. Let's see what DT comes up with. I think it's going to be a superb release!
+ zillion

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 04:01:06 pm »

A Dramatic Turn of Events condenses to ADTE... You could call it A Dream Theater Experience Tongue for those who want it otherwise.

(i could care less what the title is... just glad to know there is a title and track list and release date out. Smiley )

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2011, 12:31:27 pm »

From DT's facebook:

Here we are in the studio today with Andy Wallace

I know the truth is out there.

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2011, 12:32:00 pm »

I like the title, it may seem pretty literal, but to me it sounds like a book title or a chapter title...which is why I think I dig it so much.
I DO hope Shamam's Trance is not just an instrumental...coz if they tap into a song lyrically about a shaman and ALSO WITH some cultural musical influences that would kick SO much ass. I love the 9 tracks listing and song titles... I hope there is atleast one epic, however. And with 9 songs...damn, that has GOT TO be 80 minutes of music. For me, being the metal head, I am just nervous that there may be too much of the Octavarium feeling/variety. Now don't get me wrong, I love the Octavarium album...but I am a 'Panic Attack' kind of guy, if you get my drift. But anyone knows DT has ALWAYS been my favorite band of all time because they can do songs like 'The Answer Lies Within'.

You might get a Panic Attack realizing that without MP, one real metal-fan has jumped off the Dream Theater-train Wink Wait and see. Or, perhaps more approriate: wait and hear!

I doubt however, you will dislike it if it gets a little more mellow. It's still Dream Theater, correct?  Wink Otherwise, get back to your "Panic Attacks", "Glass Prisons", "Dying Souls" and "Mirrors", if you catch my drift  Cheesy

Obviously, looking at song titles gets your imagination going. But just as clear as that, we all know song-titles don't say much at all. Look, anticipate, wonder, and leave it at that. No needs at all to get nervous - already!!  Smiley

My 5 cents on it.

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 03:27:14 pm »

from the Cap't himself via Twitter.

Hey all you crazy rock heads. Start rehearsals next week, then shortly thereafter hit the road. Time to melt your brains. Raaaawk.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: