Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: New Dream Theater Album: A Dramatic Turn of Events  (Read 143267 times)
Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 03:16:26 pm »

I know there are people who think the title is a bit ...well "cheesy" as how I have seen it described, but give the boyz a break.  They are only describing their experinces in lyrics / music.  It's the oldest thing in the book - entitling a song after something you have been through or have felt that was your inspiration for writing that music in the first place. 

Not everything has to have a "nugget" or has to be written in "code" for us to figure out.  I would rather some things be blatant; with tact, of course. 
I have always said it before.....if you had to do it, then just exactly how would YOU do it?  Go on and put it out there and see the response YOU get...am I right? 

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

marcosf

Eu sou apenas um rapaz latino americano

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 03:27:35 pm »

I agree with Donna. Coded titles and artwork are very nice, but sometimes a less hermetic album works really well. I feel DT is inviting us to share the bad and good things which happened due to this Dramatic Turn of Events. I feel that the artwork will be something very realistic as well, like FII. The right way to do that would be using photography. Can't wait to hear/see it!

"History is critic, and power does not love it" G. C. Argan

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 03:29:20 pm »

I have always said it before.....if you had to do it, then just exactly how would YOU do it? 

Well, simple, I would have chosen a neutral title  Grin I was SO happy when the title of Black Clouds & Silver Linings had no reference whatsover to the number 10, being their tenth album.

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 03:55:10 pm »

I like the title. It's completely appropriate.

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 04:01:39 pm »

I have always said it before.....if you had to do it, then just exactly how would YOU do it? 

Well, simple, I would have chosen a neutral title  Grin I was SO happy when the title of Black Clouds & Silver Linings had no reference whatsover to the number 10, being their tenth album.

Ok, then.  Go on out, record and albun and do it your way, amico mio!   Grin Grin Grin  But for now, this is the way, DT wants to do it.  And I agree with the faction of fans that think this album title is completely appropriate.  I can't wait for it to KICK MY A$$...

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »

Thank you to all who created and contributed to this thread to keep us informed here.  I appreciate it!   This is gonna be killer...I can feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel it......

I'm just proud as all get out to have my first, "stickied" thread ever!!!

Oh also... I love the album and song titles. I think the album title is appropriate.

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 05:46:20 pm »

Agree with Donna.

Deep Purple's "The Battle Rages On" pops up into mind. That was the last DP album on which Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillan played together and the title was an obvious reference to the band's internal turmoil. What's wrong with referencing what everyone already knows?

Araxes

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 06:09:08 pm »

The obvious thing will be to relate the album name with the events on DT's camp. But I don't think that is necesarily true. It could very well mean a dramatic turn of events on a fictional character from the album, it could be the title of a conceptual work, or a title that has symbolic meaning, a not a literal one.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 07:46:24 pm »

I like the title, it may seem pretty literal, but to me it sounds like a book title or a chapter title...which is why I think I dig it so much.
I DO hope Shamam's Trance is not just an instrumental...coz if they tap into a song lyrically about a shaman and ALSO WITH some cultural musical influences that would kick SO much ass. I love the 9 tracks listing and song titles... I hope there is atleast one epic, however. And with 9 songs...damn, that has GOT TO be 80 minutes of music. For me, being the metal head, I am just nervous that there may be too much of the Octavarium feeling/variety. Now don't get me wrong, I love the Octavarium album...but I am a 'Panic Attack' kind of guy, if you get my drift. But anyone knows DT has ALWAYS been my favorite band of all time because they can do songs like 'The Answer Lies Within'.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 02:27:06 am »

I am frankly a bit disappointed that every other point of view other than "wow, this is great" is met with "Go and do you it yourself and see what the response is. If you can't, well then shut up". For one, this is the poorest argument ever. I do what I do, and good I do it though, I have my fair share of criticism. DT guys do what they do, and what they do is meant to be discussed. Music is subjective. You like the new album title, I don't, fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. This doesn't mean that I'm any less of a DT fan. Neither it means I'm going to be prejudiced about their music. God knows I always take them as they are, and I always will. But opinions differ. Let's maybe try to deal with this fact without clapping "if you don't like it, go and do it yourself" over somebody else's mouth, thank you.
I swear it was the last time I sort of ranted on this board.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:46:52 am by Natt » Logged

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 09:59:24 am »

Nobody is saying that everyone's opinion doesn't count.  Everyone has an opinion - I realize that for sure. 
However, this argument is as old as time that when a band puts out anything at all, it's going to spark criticism.  Don't you think at times it's a little much?  We are ALWAYS picking, picking, picking.....and no, for once, I don't agree with you that it is not a poor argument in this case.  When you are TELLING the band how they should do something in their own craft over and over again, IT GETS OLD.  I am not saying you should be kissing their ass conitunally and stroking their egos, but IT'S THEIR MONEY that they earned.  If we don't like it, we don't have to buy it, and give them our money, right?  Let them create the way they want.   And before anyone throws at me "Well, you can't go censoring everybody's opinion"...I want to just put this out:  By always criticizing the band, are we not censoring them to fit into our own mould of what we want them to be?  "Well...what you did was good, but I would have done it THIS way....."....just sayin'.... Wink

Example:  I can not STAND Tom Waits.  I for the life of me can't understand how this guy gets a recording contract.  I undertstand he is ecclectic, and he's different, and that he appeals to different people.  HOWEVER, I don't go to his web page and tell him to "tone it down a bit" for people like me who think that he is just a bit "too much".  I feel it disrespectful to him as an artist, and even though I can't listen to his music for nothing, there are others who do and I am not going to ruin it for them.   As long as the artist is not being blantantly offensive, racist or down right immoral, then fine.  Go on and create if it makes you happy.  And if you get fans doing what you do, then that's just the cherry on the sundae.   Smiley

Constructive criticism is one thing.  But DT's album isn't even OUT yet, and people are already pcking on the name?Huh?  Oie vay......give it a rest.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:26:13 am by Donna » Logged

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 11:37:02 am »

As for me, the title is weird, least to say. If somebody asks me 'Which band record album with such title', I'll say Rhapsody of Fire.

Reading previous posts, I want to emphasize - it's about the title, not the album, which I won't judge until I hear the music. I'm also not gonna tell 'They should did it this way'. It's 100% their choice. I just don't like it.

I know the truth is out there.

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 11:43:54 am »

Let's get something clear. Point me exactly where I said the band should or should not do something. I never ever said this and never will. Also, you can't blame me on critisizing the band, their music or decisions - I NEVER do that. All I said was I DIDN'T LIKE THE NEW ALBUM TITLE. Period. And the right to have my say is mine.
Sorry, but the example with Tom Waits is again absolutely irrelevant. The difference is, we all are DT fans here. And we respect what they do hugely. I didn't register on this forum just to say I didn't like the album. I didn't say anything disrespectful, rude or offensive.
There's no such thing as constructive criticism from a music fan. They either like what they hear/see or not.

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 12:32:56 pm »

Well then we aren't understanding each other here - and we just have to agree to disagree.  And sorry if my post seemed to be aimed at you alone Natt.  I never meant it to be.  No, I never said you criticize the music, I was making a general statement about how fans will not only BEGIN at saying "I don't like the title"...but then go further - it's just a fact that you can't please everbody with what you do, and we will always be under the microscope of someone else's opinion when we are in the public eye.  THAT is my point through the examples of what I was trying to explain.  I wasn't trying to attack you personally. 

I would love to see James weigh in on this topic, frankly. I mean, it pretty obvious why the chose that name and he shouldn't have to defend WHY they chose it.    But then, let me pose this question to all of you who don't like the album name:

What would YOU name it? 

Put it out here and let's see your suggestions.   

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 12:57:17 pm »

What would YOU name it? 

Put it out here and let's see your suggestions.   

We have to hear it first, to make such suggestions  Wink

I know the truth is out there.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: