Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: New Dream Theater Album: A Dramatic Turn of Events  (Read 145717 times)
Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »

On the Dutch site 'Music Meter', a large site where people can vote on music and discuss it, this album is getting a quite negative response by some. The average score now is 3,5/5,0. There are even people that claim to love Dream Theater, and give this album a 1. For one guy, it is the worst release in 5-10 years. Some mention the extremely bad production, the 'flat' sound and the lack of original ideas. There is the mention of James' singing (autotune, remarks of it all being 'fake' and too perfect and all that).
I don't know, what gives... I love every single note of this album, it's fantastic musically. Breaking All Illusions is one of the best pieces DT ever wrote.
The production isn't anywhere near as disastrous as some say. The only thing I'd change is the drums - they're pushed way too behind in the background.
Otherwise, it's all perfect to my liking. I couldn't care less what others say. To me, it's a nearly perfect Dream Theater album.

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2011, 04:46:11 pm »

On the Dutch site 'Music Meter', a large site where people can vote on music and discuss it, this album is getting a quite negative response by some. The average score now is 3,5/5,0. There are even people that claim to love Dream Theater, and give this album a 1. For one guy, it is the worst release in 5-10 years. Some mention the extremely bad production, the 'flat' sound and the lack of original ideas. There is the mention of James' singing (autotune, remarks of it all being 'fake' and too perfect and all that).
I don't know, what gives... I love every single note of this album, it's fantastic musically. Breaking All Illusions is one of the best pieces DT ever wrote.
The production isn't anywhere near as disastrous as some say. The only thing I'd change is the drums - they're pushed way too behind in the background.
Otherwise, it's all perfect to my liking. I couldn't care less what others say. To me, it's a nearly perfect Dream Theater album.

At least I am not the only one saying and hearing that about the drums. But still, I have only listened to it from my Mac laptop. I did listen to 'Breaking All Illusions' again last night, and still I have to say nothing spectacular stands out in the drum parts....I hate to say, "What would it sound like if MP wrote his drum parts"...but I know everyone here has to be thinking the same thing as I, admittedly or not.
Really though, I am not going to sweat it, because I would only think that for the next album Mangini will be involved in the writing(his drum parts specifically). I certainly wouldn't have expected him to be involved in any of the writing the first time around. And to be honest, nor should he have been. However, the lack of input on the drum parts seem to show. I guess I will know for sure in a couple days.

ďAn artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.Ē

-- William Faulkner

Irock

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2011, 06:15:58 pm »

I didn't think the mix of On the Backs of Angels was bad. The only bad thing about it was the drums being a little too low in the mix, but that's not really a deal breaker. I assume the mix of the rest of the album is going to be on par with that track.

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2011, 09:24:40 pm »

At least I am not the only one saying and hearing that about the drums. But still, I have only listened to it from my Mac laptop. I did listen to 'Breaking All Illusions' again last night, and still I have to say nothing spectacular stands out in the drum parts....I hate to say, "What would it sound like if MP wrote his drum parts"...but I know everyone here has to be thinking the same thing as I, admittedly or not.
Really though, I am not going to sweat it, because I would only think that for the next album Mangini will be involved in the writing(his drum parts specifically). I certainly wouldn't have expected him to be involved in any of the writing the first time around. And to be honest, nor should he have been. However, the lack of input on the drum parts seem to show. I guess I will know for sure in a couple days.

Honestly, yes the drums aren't as loud in the mix as they have been but, I think that makes it all sound more cohesive and musical. You also, as MM has said, have to give it several listens because what he played and how he played it is subtle and there's SO much going on underneath the overall "beat" because he's matching things for Jordan with this hand and for JP with this hand and then keeping in sync with JM with his feet. If you REALLY dig in, it's quite magical.

Also, and I've said this before, listening to MP's last few records (before he left DT I said this) I felt like he was getting really uninspired and was always playing on TOP of what was going on musically. In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 had MP playing the SAME lick at least 4 times in a row. It drives me crazy. Systematic Chaos as a whole is a great example of drums being WAY too high in the mix. Kick drums on TDEN anyone? Then when the band is just playing, MP would come up with something that was cool that HE could do. Wither, for example: it's a ballad. Can you not just play the groove without all the over-the-top hi-hat work and bazillion splash cymbal hits??

On this new record, MM is playing things that compliment the section rather than coming up with something "wacky" that can go one while the other guys are playing. While he was a great showman and metal player, there was just zero groove and pocket in MP's playing and I've ALWAYS felt that way.

Honestly, I think MM's performance on this record is absolutely refreshing, suitable, subtle, powerful and darn near perfect. /myopinion

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:55:13 pm by Splinter76 » Logged

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2011, 11:56:07 pm »

Sad waiting... That is something the Omega order needs to learn to do, is inform people if they are getting their preorder or not... mine still says "Pending fulfillment."

fingers crossed since they got my money, that I get the digital download tomorrow like they say I will get.

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2011, 06:04:04 am »

I think that Mike Mangini had a very positive influence on the album. I find his performance absolutely brilliant - full of musicality and finesse, very refreshing and subtle (unpretentious and reticent where necessary). I LOVE the album.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:36:38 am by diana » Logged

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2011, 07:45:51 am »

Honestly, yes the drums aren't as loud in the mix as they have been but, I think that makes it all sound more cohesive and musical. You also, as MM has said, have to give it several listens because what he played and how he played it is subtle and there's SO much going on underneath the overall "beat" because he's matching things for Jordan with this hand and for JP with this hand and then keeping in sync with JM with his feet. If you REALLY dig in, it's quite magical.

Also, and I've said this before, listening to MP's last few records (before he left DT I said this) I felt like he was getting really uninspired and was always playing on TOP of what was going on musically. In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 had MP playing the SAME lick at least 4 times in a row. It drives me crazy. Systematic Chaos as a whole is a great example of drums being WAY too high in the mix. Kick drums on TDEN anyone? Then when the band is just playing, MP would come up with something that was cool that HE could do. Wither, for example: it's a ballad. Can you not just play the groove without all the over-the-top hi-hat work and bazillion splash cymbal hits??

On this new record, MM is playing things that compliment the section rather than coming up with something "wacky" that can go one while the other guys are playing. While he was a great showman and metal player, there was just zero groove and pocket in MP's playing and I've ALWAYS felt that way.

Honestly, I think MM's performance on this record is absolutely refreshing, suitable, subtle, powerful and darn near perfect. /myopinion

Oh I totally agree... MP's playing was over the top in the mix of Systematic Chaos. And often times, there was heavy stuff going on....well for the sake of heavy over the top intricate stuff going on. Hmmmmm maybe I have been so used to the way the last few albums have been with DT...and that was what I missed! LOL...

ďAn artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.Ē

-- William Faulkner

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2011, 11:36:17 am »

Sad waiting... That is something the Omega order needs to learn to do, is inform people if they are getting their preorder or not... mine still says "Pending fulfillment."

fingers crossed since they got my money, that I get the digital download tomorrow like they say I will get.

Ok good so I'm not the only one. I've opened a ticket with them. I have no link for the download and have no arrival estimate for the box set I purchased. I am NOT a happy camper. (Oddly enough... I'm actually not a fan of camping anyway.)

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2011, 12:58:50 pm »

For those that pre-ordered the Deluxe Box Set, I just received this email from Omega (which included my download link):

REGARDING THE PHYSICAL ALBUM!
A message directly from Roadrunner:
Due to a manufacturing issue, the Dream Theater A Dramatic Turn Of
Events deluxe box sets have been slightly delayed.  This was a quality
issue and Dream Theater, Roadrunner Records, and The Omega Order want
to ensure the best possible audio experience for the new album to its
fans.  The product will arrive to our warehouses later this week and
we will start shipping all orders upon arrival.  We apologize for the
delay, but would not want to provide an inferior product in its place.
 Your download code for A Dramatic Turn Of Events is below so you can
enjoy the album in its entirety a day before itís released to retail.
We apologize for the inconvenience, and will have your physical order
out to you as soon as possible.
Please know that we have all the boxes made and postage ready.
We are prepared to ship these out the second they get to our warehouse.
Thank you so much!
If there are any issues with your download please go to our website and make a customer service case.
Please use your order number when making your case.

Cheers!
The Omega Mailorder.

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2011, 01:19:01 pm »

Here is a great new interview with James LaBrie: http://loudwire.com/dream-theater-james-labrie-interview-with-full-metal-jackie/

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2011, 03:08:40 pm »

For those that pre-ordered the Deluxe Box Set, I just received this email from Omega (which included my download link):

Thank you so much!
If there are any issues with your download please go to our website and make a customer service case.

Cheers!
The Omega Mailorder.

at least they are informing us about it Smiley I'll give them that. (and the LEGAL download helps too)

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2011, 03:20:24 pm »

Yeah, at least they are giving you some kind of pacifier until you get your set. 

I am going to get it tomorrow.  I start a training for a new job and there's and HMV in the same mall. 

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2011, 03:32:28 pm »

Yeah, at least they are giving you some kind of pacifier until you get your set. 

I am going to get it tomorrow.  I start a training for a new job and there's and HMV in the same mall. 

that's one way to put it...

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2011, 04:29:46 pm »

I was hoping the On the Back of Angels was an exception with respect to the mix.  I am still waiting to get a copy tonight, but my impression of the mix of OTBOA was not enough drums!!
I guess I got used to the DT drum mix being on top.  I really focused on the mix of the old albums while working out this AM and in many songs the drums are the loudest of all instruments.  As a drummer and a big MP fan, this is o.k. with me, but I can see it being "over the top".  But this mix takes it in another direction...almost to the drums as background.  From what I understand you can actually hear JMX in parts, which will be a welcome departure... Wink
I'm reserving final judgment until I can actually hear the entire thing, which I am looking forward to into the wee hours of tonight. 

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2011, 05:27:30 pm »

Thank you so much!

Cheers!
The Omega Mailorder.

at least they are informing us about it Smiley I'll give them that. (and the LEGAL download helps too)

Totally. I appreciated the heads up.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: