Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: New Dream Theater Album: A Dramatic Turn of Events  (Read 145713 times)
Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2011, 10:51:58 am »

I also have read some reports and I was surprised by the negative reviews of some fans. Some reviews seem to me extreme malicious. Absolutely insubstantial and indiscriminate.
Which just confirms the new album is going to be great Wink because every DT album gets heavily critisized - even before it's out.  Smiley Looks pretty a healthy sign to me Smiley

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2011, 11:16:15 am »

And really, what is the point of downloading and listening to it on a computer? Unless you have the actual CD and can blast it in your stereo, you cannot feel the effects.... I suppose some may have some really good speakers hooked up to a laptop...but how can the quality be even close to the same as a CD from an illegal download?
Most of these 'fans' are criticizing the new album buy listening to it streaming from 'youboob'...That's supposed to give you a clear idea about all the intricate nuances of each song?? Give me a break!!

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Herr

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2011, 11:28:40 am »

And really, what is the point of downloading and listening to it on a computer? Unless you have the actual CD and can blast it in your stereo, you cannot feel the effects.... I suppose some may have some really good speakers hooked up to a laptop...but how can the quality be even close to the same as a CD from an illegal download?
Most of these 'fans' are criticizing the new album buy listening to it streaming from 'youboob'...That's supposed to give you a clear idea about all the intricate nuances of each song?? Give me a break!!

The magic word is FLAC.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2011, 11:37:40 am »

Hmmmm...Well I kinda figured. But I have never illegally downloaded CDs, nor would I ever feel it is the same as an actual physical CD.
50 millions years about I used to use audiogalaxy to discover bands, and then just buy the CD. Since literally 99% of the bands I listen to are NOT from America, so just about the only way I can discover bands has been metal-archives.com. Or from forums like this one.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2011, 01:06:35 pm »

I can't wait to have my digital copy on Monday and then my big ol' box set the next day (or whenever UPS brings it)!!!! I'm so freakin' excited!

In other news, I was in a freakishly bad mood last night and, uncharacteristically, blasted SEVERAL "fans" on Dream Theater's FB page that were trashing the album as garbage and posting "BRING BACK PORTNOY" and crap like that. Yeah... my forked tongue, which I previously had under control, came out and pushed them into levels of frustration and anxiety that they didn't count on. I feel so petty, but people like that piss me off something fierce.

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2011, 01:34:24 pm »

I have my pc-sound on my big stereo, and I never heard any difference between a '320' mp3 and a cd. With FLAC, it is even better of course.   

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2011, 03:48:01 pm »

I didn't find too many negatives comments on the DT FB page...maybe I am looking in the wrong spot. I would like to see what you wrote back to them...

-- William Faulkner

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2011, 04:00:52 pm »

Man, be careful what you ask for!!  Grin Grin

Are you ready, Asianhawk?  I mean, ready?  Taken your pills, fastened your seatbelts... have a wall nearby to slam your fists against to unleash the fury??

Here it goes (from Progarchives.com).

---------------

Everyone knows Dream Theater's astonishing history. Coming out of nowhere (kind of, if you skip their largely ignored first album) with Images and Words and blowing everyone away. Well those days are long gone, and the creative spark that once burned so brightly has long since faded and gone out altogether.
If you rate this album against all of Dream Theater's others, it's a 2 star effort at best. It only doesn't merit 1 star because it isn't offensively bad like Systematic Chaos, it's just incredibly bland and boring. I was really hoping that Portnoy's departure would finally reverse the trend they've been following of becoming more and more of a regular metal band who occasionally plays random notes very fast. Sadly, this is still here in full force. Certain things have been improved with Portnoy leaving in some areas (he doesn't sing/growl anymore, for a start), but astonishingly I'd go so far as to say this is worse without him.

When Mangini was brought in I think a lot of people who had grown tired of the bland formula Dream Theater appear to have settled in hoped we'd see a return to form. Unfortunately, the chances of this happening were dealt a blow when we discovered that the entire album had already been written and - amazingly - Mangini wouldn't even be allowed to write his own drum parts. Instead, Petrucci, a guitarist, wrote them for him. This is completely inexcusable to me, and it really shows on the record. The drums are barely there, the weakest they've probably ever been on a Dream Theater album. It also spoke volumes about how inflexible they've become, especially for a band that once blazed a trail of originality and variation.

The closest thing I can compare it to in their catalogue is Octavarium, itself an incredibly boring album, except without the fantastic title track to elevate it above tedium. There isn't a single song on here that I'd consider to be "good" in any sense of the word, and none of them even begin to approach being great. There's one 3 or 4 minute section in the second half of Breaking All Illusions that's worth a listen, and that's it for the entire album, it's quite remarkable. The people saying things like "it's one of their three best, along with Images & Words and Scenes"... I really don't even know what to say. How anyone can love an album like Images & Words and somehow compare it to A Dramatic Turn of Events is beyond me.

If it wasn't for Systematic Chaos (which I consider one of the worst albums ever made - by any band) this would be the weakest album in the band's history. Sadly Portnoy's replacement hasn't made a tiny bit of difference. One can only hope that next time around Mangini will have some input, and Dream Theater will go back to doing something they were once great at - being original - but I've long since lost interest.

It honestly makes me sad, once upon a time Dream Theater were my favourite band, a powerhouse in their genre. But something happened after Six Degrees, and everything they've done since then - with the exception of a handful of great songs - has been bland/boring/uninteresting/tedious/repetitious, or just plain bad.

Bonus Game: Listen for all the melodies and other elements they've ripped from past albums for this one, there's a lot.

Are you there?  And most important of all, are you ok??  Grin

MuumiPeikko

The Helmsman of the Pirate Ship

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2011, 05:17:15 pm »

I facepalmed like about 5 times, while reading this. Poor guy/girl. He(she) must be a masochist - he(she) listen to the such a weak album again and again, to find another one weak place Grin

Once at Powerofmetal.org forum I read such post: "You should listen to the music, not masturbate on it." Unfortunately, those, who wrote this "reviews" prefers second option  Grin

I know the truth is out there.

Asianhawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2011, 07:35:02 pm »

Oh my God...This guy is just from another planet. He must literally think that DT has to stay in the 1990's. But if they always made 1990's sounding music, he would complain about them saying there is no growth. I DO agree with him about the drums, to be perfectly honest. I am waiting to just listen to the CD at full blast in my stereo... But the drums really do seem bland and set way in back of each song. And I was afraid of that from the beginning since JP wrote all the drum parts.
I will give him credit, he sounds like an educated person and not just randomly 'hating' on DT.... But seriously, he has been stuck in his mode of thinking all DT post 6SoIT is 'bland' so there is no changing his mind. He is clearly the 'prog' fan and dislikes the 'metal' side. The dude needs to listen to Spock's Beard then if have doesn't want anything heavy.

-- William Faulkner

lutima

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2011, 04:40:09 am »

I received the album in the mail on Friday and let me help you all  Wink
To me this is one of the best album DT ever made.
I love it from start to finish..I never expected DT would be so unbelievable great after MP left.

Thanks DREAM THEATER for never letting me down !  Cool

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2011, 06:09:25 am »

Are you there?  And most important of all, are you ok??  Grin
Pffft. This person thinks Octavarium is a boring album, I didn't bother to read any further.

But then again, DT music has ALWAYS been about controversy among the fans. I swear if IAW or SFAM were released now, they would be cannoned with negative reviews and only in 10 years' time would they be undisputedly referred to as 'classic' and 'masterpiece'.

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Irock

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2011, 11:03:49 am »

I listen to all my music on my computer. I rip my CDs as FLAC and toss the files in my music folder. Then the CDs are likely never touched again. I'm 18 though, so I guess I constructed my music listening method around the technology I grew up with. Cheesy

Granted, my speakers aren't much to brag about. I should probably invest in some better ones. But Dream Theater sounds great whether you're listening to them through a thousand dollar sound system or a 10 dollar portable radio. Not that I've ever heard Dream Theater on the radio.

Also, ONLY A COUPLE MORE DAYS UNTIL THE ALBUM COMES OUT, WOO!!!!

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2011, 12:54:56 pm »

I listen to all my music on my computer. I rip my CDs as FLAC and toss the files in my music folder. Then the CDs are likely never touched again. I'm 18 though, so I guess I constructed my music listening method around the technology I grew up with. Cheesy

Granted, my speakers aren't much to brag about. I should probably invest in some better ones. But Dream Theater sounds great whether you're listening to them through a thousand dollar sound system or a 10 dollar portable radio. Not that I've ever heard Dream Theater on the radio.

Also, ONLY A COUPLE MORE DAYS UNTIL THE ALBUM COMES OUT, WOO!!!!

I do that too.. However my CD's are on display in my room. So that I can see what I have physically. (I am only missing FII and 6DOIT in physical copies, I have them purchased them via itunes)

I can't wait to have my box set in my hands.

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2011, 02:48:43 pm »

On the Dutch site 'Music Meter', a large site where people can vote on music and discuss it, this album is getting a quite negative response by some. The average score now is 3,5/5,0. There are even people that claim to love Dream Theater, and give this album a 1. For one guy, it is the worst release in 5-10 years. Some mention the extremely bad production, the 'flat' sound and the lack of original ideas. There is the mention of James' singing (autotune, remarks of it all being 'fake' and too perfect and all that).

About the sound... I have compared this cd with other albums, and now I hear the difference. Something is not right. All could have benefited from a more organic, livelier sound. So far my score would be 85/100.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: