Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Interview With Mike Mangini  (Read 9086 times)
Araxes

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:43:24 am »

Mike on how he got the gig, new album and more:

http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/how-i-got-the-gig-mike-mangini/

marcosf

Eu sou apenas um rapaz latino americano

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:59:45 am »

This was the most informative words about the audition and the new album. Now we know there are 6 tracks, at least, and that he was not involved in the writing, only in the drum parts.

"History is critic, and power does not love it" G. C. Argan

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:43:31 am »

I was curious about his level of involvement in the writing process.  Some good information.
The more I read from interviews with MM, the more I like him.
For any musicians, I seriously recommend his Rhythm Knowledge books.  I got them a couple of years ago and they are well-thought out and helpful for practice techniques.

marcosf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:25:21 pm »

I was curious about his level of involvement in the writing process.  Some good information.
The more I read from interviews with MM, the more I like him.
For any musicians, I seriously recommend his Rhythm Knowledge books.  I got them a couple of years ago and they are well-thought out and helpful for practice techniques.
You know, I left serious music playing some years ago, to follow my career as historian. I was talking to my wife a couple of days ago that I miss it and that I would do this and that differently if I could go back in time. Today I run into a friend whose father has an studio and me and some friends are intending to play there just for fun. Now I'm following MM and his video clinics, comments on his books, etc. It is really weird to see music coming back into my life, although I feel I don't have the time for it anymore, unfortunately.  Embarrassed   

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:41:48 pm »

You know, I left serious music playing some years ago, to follow my career as historian. I was talking to my wife a couple of days ago that I miss it and that I would do this and that differently if I could go back in time. Today I run into a friend whose father has an studio and me and some friends are intending to play there just for fun. Now I'm following MM and his video clinics, comments on his books, etc. It is really weird to see music coming back into my life, although I feel I don't have the time for it anymore, unfortunately.  Embarrassed   
[/quote]

Never too late.  I played in rock bands and studied African drumming in college in the late 80's & early 90's (God, am I that old???).  Got caught up in life and made excuses for not playing anymore (too loud, not enough time, no where to put a drum set, etc).  Finally stopped making excuses and bought an electronic drum set (a killer Roland TD-20) a couple of months ago ("No more lame excuses, it has to be tonight...").  Even though I can only play about 30 minutes a day, its great therapy and fun.  Don't let 20 years go by like I did.  You have the time, and your wife will support you because she knows you will be happier if you don't give up something you love that needs to be a part of you.  Sorry if I'm coming off as "preachy", just giving advice based on my own experience. 

marcosf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:14:00 pm »

Never too late.  I played in rock bands and studied African drumming in college in the late 80's & early 90's (God, am I that old???).  Got caught up in life and made excuses for not playing anymore (too loud, not enough time, no where to put a drum set, etc).  Finally stopped making excuses and bought an electronic drum set (a killer Roland TD-20) a couple of months ago ("No more lame excuses, it has to be tonight...").  Even though I can only play about 30 minutes a day, its great therapy and fun.  Don't let 20 years go by like I did.  You have the time, and your wife will support you because she knows you will be happier if you don't give up something you love that needs to be a part of you.  Sorry if I'm coming off as "preachy", just giving advice based on my own experience. 

Thanks for the words! Don't worry, you're not being "preachy". Yes, she said exactly that: "it's not too late, you're only 26". And I say: "if I had followed my career as a musician, we probably wouldn't have got married! I would have to spend 8 hours a day practicing and than travelling. No time to meet you..." hahaha Juskidding. Let's see what the future holds...

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 04:09:36 pm »

rhino2112: I loved that "War Paint" reference you threw in there!

I turned 35 a few days ago, and since I'm in Germany I have resorted to play acoustically either in duet or solo format, and I'm actually enjoying it a lot. I do miss the feel of a band, the electric guitar and some drummer pounding it behind me. However, this is what I have right now and, due to professional reasons, I'm not that much dedicated to it as I'd love to, but I have faith that, at some point in my life, I will return to it. I don't feel we're ever too old to rock!

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 04:36:43 pm »

rhino2112: I loved that "War Paint" reference you threw in there!

I turned 35 a few days ago, and since I'm in Germany I have resorted to play acoustically either in duet or solo format, and I'm actually enjoying it a lot. I do miss the feel of a band, the electric guitar and some drummer pounding it behind me. However, this is what I have right now and, due to professional reasons, I'm not that much dedicated to it as I'd love to, but I have faith that, at some point in my life, I will return to it. I don't feel we're ever too old to rock!

Amen, brother!!  We've got to do what we can, within the limitations that we have. 

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 04:39:53 pm »

Thanks for the words! Don't worry, you're not being "preachy". Yes, she said exactly that: "it's not too late, you're only 26". And I say: "if I had followed my career as a musician, we probably wouldn't have got married! I would have to spend 8 hours a day practicing and than travelling. No time to meet you..." hahaha Juskidding. Let's see what the future holds...
[/quote]

I honestly think had I stayed in the music scene in my early 20's I would have fucked up my life.  Too much partying and too many drugs.  Unfortunately, I kind of had it all tied together so it a way it was good I left the scene but I still think I waited way too long to start playing again.  So I definitely wouldn't have met my wife had I stayed a musician!  Now I have to compete with my 13-year old for the best drummer in the house.  I still rule the roost, but he'll likely catch me in a couple of years.  His feet are way faster than mine but I got the experience factor working for me, hah!

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 01:38:05 pm »

I love how he used the video camera in preparation for the audition. Audio and video recording devices are definitely the meanest teachers you can find.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: