Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: All singers and medics, please help  (Read 23027 times)
dinka

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:58:08 am »

Hi folks,
I am in a terrible shape now, and need every advice you might have so that I could recover as fast as possible.  Sad

Five days ago I woke up with a sore throat. Probably got it from working outside the day before and breathing in too much cold air - though I was sweaty with work on a sunny day.

Yesterday I had to sing a gig. I didn't sing throughout the week, and got back my talking voice almost to a normal level. When we arrived I checked what shape I was in, and couldn't whistle a tune right in the toilet. Frightening...
Soundcheck, me singing at a louder level, voice crispy and cracks, and I find out I can barely control the melody, intonation is harder than ever, tunes fall wrong...

Worrying me tells all the guys they should help me out, we'll survive the gig or not I couldn't tell. Had a honey-palinka (traditional Hungarian alcoholic drink made of fruits and honey) and my throat felt better. I lived through the gig, avoided long-sustained notes, it went much better than I expected 5 minutes before the show. I needed to push harder, and take more breaths so that I could get my vocal-cords resonating.

3 hours after I couldn't talk at all, and I can't since then. Some growly breathy whisper comes out if I need to speak, but rather I use my mimicry. I tried eating honey, strepsils, nothing helps. Shall I stay quiet and calm and let time heal me, or do you have any ideas what I could do to make it more comfortable?  Sad

ps.: Guys, take care! Don't sing if you're ill...  Embarrassed

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:12:34 am »

The same event I've lived more times.
I have a progessive metal group and then sometimes I am in lead vocal for performance but my groupmates say; leave singinig just play your guitar  Grin

And my advice is just take a rest for a while and try to drink hot drinking, hımmm hot water is the best for this ill  Wink
and again try not to push your chords to sing harder songs but the practise of singing easycatch songs are well to get you back normal.

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:44:26 am »

I'll agree with Serox - the best remedy now would be resting your voice and drinking warm drinks with honey. And eating a lot of bananas Wink

I've been through similar trouble about 4 years ago. I was supposed to perform at my prom night and six days prior I had got wet in rain and woke up with sore throat the next morning. I did the same thing as you Dinka - went to rehearsal and in 15 mins I couldn't squeeze a sound out of my throat.  I rang up my vocal teacher and she said "don't try to make a sound. Even whisper". So I played mute the  next 4 days, then went to see my vocal teacher who gave me some exercises which helped me to open up. It was not bad at all at the prom Wink

So I have to add - don't try to speak for a couple of days, it'll only make it worse. Let it heal up a bit.
Hope you get better soon

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

ERiKofSWE90

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 01:51:02 pm »

Now I know how James felt in "Awake In Japan"...only the entire Japanese channel was filming him!! Cry

I dont know much about the voice, Im a drummer, but its very intresting.
One time when my freind and I was driving snowmobile on very cold weather, he gave me one hell of a crazy fast ride and I screamed at top of my lungs all the way and offcourse got in alot of very cold air. Couldnt help it, felt both scared, exited and in crazy mood. Cool
When we were done driving my speakingvoice felt different and has remain since a little. It actually hurted very much after, and if I talk much the voice start hurting. Guess something happened. Im aware that not only singers can have this problems, also "normal" people like me!

rest in peace Mulle 2001-2010

dinka

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 02:08:38 pm »

Must be tough to be mute for several days but I'll try.
Hot tea I have, but bananas...I'll have to have a nice walk tomorrow to the market to get some. Smiley
Huh Will have to look for a seller who doesn't know me, so he'll think I'm really mute and won't start asking questions...  Huh
Erik, you really calmed me down by saying your throat doesn't work the same since that snowy adventure.. Cheesy Then I'd wish my new voice would be much better than my original  Grin
Will also try hot water, can't be as bad as sounds....

Lips sealed

ERiKofSWE90

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 02:32:43 pm »

Are you being sarcastic with me Dinka?

Well my natural voice is almost the same, its just that sometimes my "teen-crack" is bigger after it plus when I yell it can hurt pretty bad at times.

nicoli

Puttin' On My Ranty-Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »

I would seriously recommend not doing any more gigs until you get completely better, or else you'll risk damaging your vocal cords. Temporary solutions like your elixir or throat soothers will only help for so long, but if you keep straining your voice, it will only get worse. I know it means missing out on valuable gigs and possibly money, but it will be better for you in the long run. Smiley

"You can run, you can live like there's no tomorrow
But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
What you see is that nothing's forever
'Cause you know
Your days are numbered..."

--HAREM SCAREM/Days Are Numbered

dinka

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:17:29 pm »

Are you being sarcastic with me Dinka?
Sure  Wink

I promise I will not sing for weeks... Aww, so bad... But we don't have to cancel shows, that's the good thing.
And I also shouldn't listen to music which is almost as bad as muting myself out.  Cry

ERiKofSWE90

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:25:23 pm »

Why no music? Becouse you cant help but to sing along as loud as you can? Grin

dinka

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 04:13:44 pm »

If you listen to music your vocal chords react, no matter if you sing along or not. That's why. Sad

Today I went to see the doc. He gave me some pills and fluids and told me to shut up. He was undecided about my state, if it will be easy to cure or not. He quietly added that if I'm not lucky it may last a whole year...

In the pharmacy the lady acted like if I was deaf-mute, which was funny. Smiley

nicoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 07:58:17 pm »

If you listen to music your vocal chords react, no matter if you sing along or not. That's why. Sad

Today I went to see the doc. He gave me some pills and fluids and told me to shut up. He was undecided about my state, if it will be easy to cure or not. He quietly added that if I'm not lucky it may last a whole year...

Sounds like a bad doctor to me. Tongue You should get a new one...you know, someone who actually gives a shit.

But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
'Cause you know

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:28:29 pm »

Sounds like a bad doctor to me. Tongue You should get a new one...you know, someone who actually gives a shit.

i've noticed as of late Doctors don't seem to really want to do their jobs.. they end up halfassing everything and then get mad when you come back to see them when you don't get better

nicoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:47 pm »

i've noticed as of late Doctors don't seem to really want to do their jobs.. they end up halfassing everything and then get mad when you come back to see them when you don't get better

Well, they make a pretense of caring and doing their jobs so long as you're paying them a lot for something really interesting. My jaw surgeon--or at least his team--was always really nice to me, but of course, my insurance was footing the bill for a $38,000 jaw surgery procedure that was intricate and complex and had to cure my sleep disorder. Certainly nothing boring to either him or his assistants. Tongue My family doctor, on the other hand, can go suck it. She's professional, but she gives shoddy, biased advice. I'm going to her for one last full physical exam before my insurance expires, and then I'm done with her.

But you know
Your days are numbered
At the end of it all,
'Cause you know

Rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 11:54:59 am »

Well, a cold or flu can certainly be a nuisance to a singer, and it means you won't be able to give your 100%, but it doesn't prevent you from singing, and if you don't go overboard, you won't damage your vocal chords, and at the very worst, you might be adding 1 day to your overall recovery.

That, however, doesn't hold true for the bane of all singers: laryngitis.  If you have a very hoarse voice, fever, and fatigue, but none of the other usual cold/flu symptoms (i.e. congestion, runny nose/eyes), have yourself checked for that, because you should never sing (or for that matter, speak) during a laryngitis.

Since you don't have any shows in the coming weeks, if you can take it easy and not sing or talk at all, and get some good rest, all the better.  Normally, I don't even bother going to see a doctor unless symptoms persist longer than 10 days or if laryngitis is suspected (obviously I can't diagnose myself since I'm not a doctor).

dinka

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 01:27:25 pm »

Hi all, here me, the mute. Smiley

My Monday night was terrible. I stayed mute, but in the evening I was coughing for 1-2 hours and my throat was aching the whole night like hell. So yesterday I went to the laryngology.

A kind woman looked deep into my throat and said I had some severe laryngotracheitis. She was surprised why my GP didn't give me antibiotics, so she gave me tablets for a week.
She told me I would get my speaking voice back in a few days. Well, not yet... But I'm not forcing it any way. She said I'll be close to develop nodules if I start forcing speaking or singing.
She also said a strange thing: if I started trying to speak now I could learn producing voice in a different way using some false vocal chords which would be hard to forget afterwards and I'd have a week hoarse voice for my life so shut up. Smiley

Leo, your symptoms are so true for me. I didn't have the cold or a flu, I just had a sore throat which I did take care of before the gig. Since then I have a runny nose and little fever in the evenings.
Wish I knew it before... But now I learn it, thank you very much.

Today I tried how my throat would answer if I listened to music. Well, after 4 song pain comes. Sad Too bad...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: