Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  
Author Topic: DT- BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 170852 times)
Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2009, 04:15:21 am »

But you like it enough to get a copy from your friend, uh?  Tongue

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Metropolis

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2009, 12:26:26 pm »

But you like it enough to get a copy from your friend, uh?  Tongue

Well,actually Yes!!!!  Tongue Grin Grin

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2009, 02:07:18 pm »

Well, much as we know that 90% of people nowadays will d/l their music before buying it,  I wouldn't go making it that public here particularly on this Board.  We all know that James frowns on it A LOT.   Just say you are "borrowing it" from your friend for now.   Wink
But you know Karlo, once you have listened to it, you WILL buy it.  I just know it...it's an amazing CD.  But it's just my opinion, of course.  You listen to it a few times, and make your own mind up, and let us know.... Wink

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

Metropolis

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2009, 10:48:05 am »

Well, much as we know that 90% of people nowadays will d/l their music before buying it,  I wouldn't go making it that public here particularly on this Board.  We all know that James frowns on it A LOT.   Just say you are "borrowing it" from your friend for now.   Wink
But you know Karlo, once you have listened to it, you WILL buy it.  I just know it...it's an amazing CD.  But it's just my opinion, of course.  You listen to it a few times, and make your own mind up, and let us know.... Wink

Oh,sorry Donna I completely forgot. I'm not gonna  make stuff like that public anymore.  Lips sealed
But thanks anyway I haven't had time yet to listen to it but I hope I will like it  Smiley Wink

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2009, 08:53:42 am »

Nice review!   

Well, I finally got on the back of our motorcycle (ST1300 for those that don't know) and rode to this CD.  It fits SO WELL and it's so amazing to ride to, I listened to some of it twice!  Tears in my helmet too...OIE VAY!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

SomeGuy

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2009, 06:43:55 pm »

Wow. I bought the 3-CD set a few weeks ago and it's just beautiful.
ANTR sounds like everything DT knows to do. Awesome metal, quiet parts, some nice singing from MP, Awesome solos from JP and JR, long and satisfying, yet you can't get tired of it. I love that song, it's truly a masterpiece only DT can do.
James did an incredible job, all over the song.
Can't say much, it's simply amazing.

AROP - a very catchy song. After a quite short (in DT's terms) intro, James' voice comes in out of some voices, and there we go again...to an incredible world o-o
The verse and the awesome chorus are played over a few times, along with a nice, more melodic part sometimes (that "men of wealth and power..." thing). And just when you think it's one of the simple songs DT make, an awesome solo begins, one of those who make me wanna stop playing guitar.

Wither - Probably nearly the top of DT's ballads over the recent albums. It shows how DT can sometimes "calm down" with their crazy abilities, and still make beautiful songs. The solo is beautiful too.

TSF - Wow. I know it sounds a lot like the other 4 parts of Mike's songs about alcohol (excluding The Mirror), but it's beautiful, lyrically and musically. That song is a lot like ANTR, I won't get enough of it soon. It also has the highest note for James in the album, practically, and I have to say, his voice sounds awesome overall.

TBOT - a really good song, which sounds a lot like the way people would describe DT, probably with some softer elements because of the hurtful topic of it. Mike deserves a huge appreciation for finding the "silver lining" in every time of his life. And John does some amazing things in the end.
And i'm sorry for Mike.

TCOT - oh well, not much to say about that one. It's an amazing song, probably joined to the group of DT's really long songs. Amazing intro, amazing verses, chorus, amazing quite part, amazing 4:30-minutes-outro. I hope someone would interview John (or maybe Lifting Shadows will do that), describing the experience completely, because it's still hard to understand what he was scared of. But, considering something was really scary there, both the lyrics and the music are awesome.

Great job DT.

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:10 pm »

Bringing this one alive 'cause I'm still determined to find the whereabouts of the Count of Tuscany  Grin

Rich Wilson offered what is the most enlighting comment so far from JP about the song:

Here's a small extract for you. This is a small part of the section where JP talks about the story behind "The Count Of Tuscany" :

“We then pulled up at this vineyard and it was unbelievable,” continues John. “It was breathtaking and was a combination of an old castle with servants’ quarters and vines with a more modern distillery section. We went in there and met his brother and he was a total character right off the bat. He was smoking a pipe and speaking with an English accent, even though he was Italian, and he was telling us story after story about the wars and the land. So we did everything from look at the grapes on the vine to going down into the cellars to taste the wine right from the barrels. It was really interesting but there were just so many bizarre things that kept on happening. We had this Hannibal thing in the back of our heads and any time something freaky happened we would just look at each other and be like ‘Well, it’s been nice knowing you!"

So, this tells us a couple of things...
- First and foremost, as I always suspected, the story is a bit romanticized and fictional, a-là "Big Fish", and not an exact and literal recount of the events - just the fact that John was with his guitar tech and not "sitting alone, no one by his side" gives it away  Wink
- The brother exists and he's alive!!! I thought he was dead (thus the need to be remembered) and that JP saw him just on a portrait...
- The place is an ancient castle with a more moden vinery, and I'm not so sure anymore that I guessed right in guessing about the town of Capraia for the place of it all...

I read on MP's forum another theory about the place, and it seemed more realistic than mine (and of course it didn't involve Pietro Pacciani), I'll do some more search about old castles with modern distilleries in Tuscany  Wink

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2009, 01:54:59 pm »

Bringing this one alive 'cause I'm still determined to find the whereabouts of the Count of Tuscany  Grin

Rich Wilson offered what is the most enlighting comment so far from JP about the song:

Here's a small extract for you. This is a small part of the section where JP talks about the story behind "The Count Of Tuscany" :

“We then pulled up at this vineyard and it was unbelievable,” continues John. “It was breathtaking and was a combination of an old castle with servants’ quarters and vines with a more modern distillery section. We went in there and met his brother and he was a total character right off the bat. He was smoking a pipe and speaking with an English accent, even though he was Italian, and he was telling us story after story about the wars and the land. So we did everything from look at the grapes on the vine to going down into the cellars to taste the wine right from the barrels. It was really interesting but there were just so many bizarre things that kept on happening. We had this Hannibal thing in the back of our heads and any time something freaky happened we would just look at each other and be like ‘Well, it’s been nice knowing you!"

So, this tells us a couple of things...
- First and foremost, as I always suspected, the story is a bit romanticized and fictional, a-là "Big Fish", and not an exact and literal recount of the events - just the fact that John was with his guitar tech and not "sitting alone, no one by his side" gives it away  Wink
- The brother exists and he's alive!!! I thought he was dead (thus the need to be remembered) and that JP saw him just on a portrait...
- The place is an ancient castle with a more moden vinery, and I'm not so sure anymore that I guessed right in guessing about the town of Capraia for the place of it all...

I read on MP's forum another theory about the place, and it seemed more realistic than mine (and of course it didn't involve Pietro Pacciani), I'll do some more search about old castles with modern distilleries in Tuscany  Wink

according to a recent interview, it was actually a story that happened to JP's Guitar Tech...

i can't remember which interview it was through....

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2009, 04:05:52 pm »

I found out the castle I read about on MP's forum: http://www.tavolese.it/eng/index.htm

I feel tempted to write a mail about it  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  

Jump to: