Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Dream Theater Official World Tour - Reviews, Setlists and Pics here!  (Read 692761 times)
Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #735 on: July 26, 2010, 02:11:26 am »

i did stumble across pictures from the Portland show I went too (don't mind the review... its slightly biased tot he I&W days a little)

http://jazzsick.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/dream-theater-pdx2010/

nice set of photos, thanks for posting it here

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

NickySpanjaards

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 26, 2010, 07:37:32 am »

Cool set of photos...thannks for sharing people!

postymcposterton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #737 on: July 27, 2010, 11:09:07 am »

i did stumble across pictures from the Portland show I went too (don't mind the review... its slightly biased to the I&W days a little)

To be fair, I'm more of an Awake fan than I&W... but, yeah, fair assessment of my review. Smiley  I can't really stand Jordan. Wink

(click for more photos / higher res)

~Dan
http://jazzsick.wordpress.com/

Music News & PacNW Concert Reviews:

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 27, 2010, 02:53:07 pm »

i did stumble across pictures from the Portland show I went too (don't mind the review... its slightly biased to the I&W days a little)

To be fair, I'm more of an Awake fan than I&W... but, yeah, fair assessment of my review. Smiley  I can't really stand Jordan. Wink

~Dan

?!?!

dude, did you have the huge lenses White Camera, or that nice Rebel (from what i could see it was) during that concert?

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 27, 2010, 03:51:41 pm »

I can't really stand Jordan. Wink

You are not the only one. Welcome to the club.   Tongue

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

postymcposterton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: July 27, 2010, 04:41:05 pm »

!Blasphemy! *waves burning pitchfork*

Only kidding Smiley  But what don't you like about Jordan? I'm a fairly recent DT fan so I've yet to get attached to his predecessors. Smiley

Excellent photos, by the way!

Thanks!

Re: Jordan, I was always a Kevin Moore fan, and I think Awake is their best album.  After his departure (right after it was recorded), he started doing his own stuff (Chroma Key, and eventually O.S.I. with Jim Matheos of Fates Warning).  I think I dig CK & OSI more than any DT since Kevin's departure.  Re: Derek Sherinian, I liked him.  He was a good rock keyboardist.  Re: Jordan, he's very technical, but lacks a lot of emotion.  And when I've seen him live, I get really irk'd about his tone.  I dunno... it's all subjective.

~Dan

postymcposterton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: July 27, 2010, 04:44:31 pm »

dude, did you have the huge lenses White Camera, or that nice Rebel (from what i could see it was) during that concert?

A Canon DSLR with a 15x optical zoom (60x digital).  I had a photo pass; so I was able to be right up front for the first 3 songs.  My camera is far from professional grade... it's basically a point-and-shoot with a bigger zoom.  The lighting usually sucks in Roseland; so that's why most of mine that were B&W turned out better than the Color shots.  i wish I had a better camera, but I make do with what I've got...

~Dan

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 27, 2010, 05:46:15 pm »

A Canon DSLR with a 15x optical zoom (60x digital).  I had a photo pass; so I was able to be right up front for the first 3 songs.  My camera is far from professional grade... it's basically a point-and-shoot with a bigger zoom.  The lighting usually sucks in Roseland; so that's why most of mine that were B&W turned out better than the Color shots.  i wish I had a better camera, but I make do with what I've got...

~Dan

ah. Well you were def getting some good shots. (I was in the second row next to JM's side of the stage.)

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 01, 2010, 01:51:44 am »

Just a reminder:

the last two shows for DT of the year are next week.

Sat  Aug 7th - Osaka, Japan - Summer Sonic
Sun  Aug 8th -  Tokyo, Japan - Summer Sonic

DTfiend

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 01, 2010, 12:36:52 pm »

well, im hopin to god they make a new DVD out of this tour cause ive been waiting like 2-3 years to see them again, cant wait to see them do some Black Clouds & Silver Linings live, mostly Nightmare to Remember, The Shattered Fortress and The Count Of Tuscany

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: August 01, 2010, 12:54:28 pm »

well, im hopin to god they make a new DVD out of this tour cause ive been waiting like 2-3 years to see them again, cant wait to see them do some Black Clouds & Silver Linings live, mostly Nightmare to Remember, The Shattered Fortress and The Count Of Tuscany

Mike already said it many times, there won't be a DVD filmed this tour. Too bad.

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 05, 2010, 10:01:52 am »

!Blasphemy! *waves burning pitchfork*

Only kidding Smiley  But what don't you like about Jordan? I'm a fairly recent DT fan so I've yet to get attached to his predecessors. Smiley

Excellent photos, by the way!

Thanks!

Re: Jordan, I was always a Kevin Moore fan, and I think Awake is their best album.  After his departure (right after it was recorded), he started doing his own stuff (Chroma Key, and eventually O.S.I. with Jim Matheos of Fates Warning).  I think I dig CK & OSI more than any DT since Kevin's departure.  Re: Derek Sherinian, I liked him.  He was a good rock keyboardist.  Re: Jordan, he's very technical, but lacks a lot of emotion.  And when I've seen him live, I get really irk'd about his tone.  I dunno... it's all subjective.

~Dan

Pfff

Don't get me started on the DT's keyboardists..LOL

Dan hits it right in the nail. My favorite DT album is Awake. Kevin's lyrics and playing was not flashy but it completed the song in some way. Derek's playing was also great and he is probably my favorite keyboard player right now. His solo stuff is excellent and features many great players (both in his solo stuff and in Planet X). Derek can combine the best of both worlds: atmosphere and technicality. Falling into Infinity is a great example of this. While Jordan is probably the best keyboard player in the world, I do think sometimes he just pushes it with his solos and wankery (I dig his solo stuff a lot more than his playing in DT). He can do atmospheric playing (listen to Listen, Resonance, Secrets of the Muse, etc...) but unfortunately the producers (JP and MP) don't use this playing anymore.

I tend to see this "keyboard comparison" as DT stages. Each one has it's own pro's and cons' but I still love the music. I love one era more than the others but that's just a question of taste and will vary person to person..

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 05, 2010, 11:45:19 am »

Pfff

Don't get me started on the DT's keyboardists..LOL

Dan hits it right in the nail. My favorite DT album is Awake. Kevin's lyrics and playing was not flashy but it completed the song in some way. Derek's playing was also great and he is probably my favorite keyboard player right now. His solo stuff is excellent and features many great players (both in his solo stuff and in Planet X). Derek can combine the best of both worlds: atmosphere and technicality. Falling into Infinity is a great example of this. While Jordan is probably the best keyboard player in the world, I do think sometimes he just pushes it with his solos and wankery (I dig his solo stuff a lot more than his playing in DT). He can do atmospheric playing (listen to Listen, Resonance, Secrets of the Muse, etc...) but unfortunately the producers (JP and MP) don't use this playing anymore.

I tend to see this "keyboard comparison" as DT stages. Each one has it's own pro's and cons' but I still love the music. I love one era more than the others but that's just a question of taste and will vary person to person..

Fair arguments, with extra points for the amusing use of "wankery".

I've never listened to JR's solo stuff - have you a recommendation for where to start?

LOL. Almost spilled the water in my mouth for the extra points I used..LOL

Well, it depends. Rhythm of Time, Feed The Wheel and the Rudess-Morgenstein Project are the ones I listen to the most. The other ones I listed (Secrets of the Muse, Resonance...) are more of the atmospheric/piano like stuff. It's great stuff to listen when you want to relax. I think of those albums was written for one of Jordan's friends who was recovering from heart surgery or something in that vein. Rhythm of Time and Feed the Wheel are the most song oriented albums. Some great players in those two: Terry Bozzio, Rod Morgenstein, Joe Satriani, Kip Winger...The RM Project is more fusion oriented. I would say start with Feed the Wheel and Rhythm of Time and RMP. His last one Notes from a Dream are piano only Dream Theater songs. Pretty cool to hear his piano versions of DT songs (mostly the slow ballad like DT songs). I would get this one as well. The Road Home (his next to last album) are Jordan versions of some of his favorite prog songs from Gentle Giant, Genesis and others and features Neal Morse, Steven Wilson, Marco Sfogli, Ricky Garcia, and I think Rod on drums as well. I'm like this one but not as much as the ones I described before.

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 07, 2010, 02:17:30 pm »

Osaka, Japan 8/7/10

A Nightmare To Remember
A Rite Of Passage
Prophets Of War
Wither
The Count Of Tuscany
Pull Me Under / Metropolis Pt. 1
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:10:15 pm by w34vi1 » Logged

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 08, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »

After 14 months... DT is OFFICIALLY finished with the BCSL tour(s).

Tokyo, Japan 8/7/10

A Nightmare To Remember
A Rite Of Passage
Prophets Of War
Wither
The Count Of Tuscany
Pull Me Under / Metropolis Pt. 1

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51
  Print  

Jump to: