Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 51
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Dream Theater Official World Tour - Reviews, Setlists and Pics here!  (Read 691303 times)
Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: October 07, 2009, 04:02:39 am »

yay! James causing trouble again!  Grin

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 07, 2009, 01:50:31 pm »

Lille, France - 10/6/09

A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER
CONSTANT MOTION
WITHER
(Quick Keyboard Spot)  EROTOMANIA
VOICES
SOLITARY SHELL
TAKE THE TIME
-----------
THE COUNT OF TUSCANY

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: October 07, 2009, 06:47:02 pm »

I am back from Rotterdam and it was f*****g GREAT!!!  Grin Grin

Me and my friend missed Unexpect due to her traffic jam in Dutch torrential rain... We arrived in time to see Bigelf. What a treat! I can recommend this band to anyone. They mix retro 70's rock with modern progressive rock in a Deep Purple/Black Sabbath-style. Other influences are The Beatles and Pink Floyd. You can imagine how that can sound original with heavy guitars and good songs. I loved being able to see them.

Opeth was next. Mikael Akerfeldt once again was his funny self  Cheesy I like his talking and cracking jokes in between the songs. People not knowing them could have been forgiven after one song for thinking this wasn't going to be so bad after all, since they started rather mellow with two songs (played as one) from their acoustic album Damnation, namely Windowpane and Death Whispered a Lullaby. Then the fury broke loose. "Some people will call this noise", Akerfeldt remarked briefly. "Others think of it as sex." And there The Lotus Eater started, unleashing its furious riffs, drums, basses and wild guitars on a big, bif crowd. It was great to hear this music played for so many people. It is an extreme type of metal after all that normally only is played for smaller audiences. The sound was great. I won't name all their songs here. They played for like 65 minutes. Among the songs played were Deliverance, Reverie/Harlequin Forest, April Ethereal and Hex Omega.

Around 21:15 Dream Theater started. Of course it was no surprise to see them start with A Nightmare to Remember. James tried to get the crowd behind the band and he succeeded well, thanking two extra screens on both sides of the stage. I'd say everyone had a good view on the band. The video's/animations shown on the video wall behind Mike once again were great to watch. Ever seen big, calm elephants walking in a hallway of a hospital in a very disciplined way? Holding each others tail with their trunks? I for sure didn't before tonight! During the songs the footage was both fun and entertaining.
A Rite of Passage was the second song, with on the screen stuff from the known video. I have to admit it's my least favorite track on BC & SL, but live it was good. Then I got surprised. The band left the stage, apart from John Petrucci. He got the spotlights on him, and played some awesome playful guitars. Nothing too complicated, but oh so beautiful. Think of the solo in Lines in the Sand, mixed with the one in Goodnight Kiss, but then in a faster, more diverse way. You could see the emotion on his face. It build an introduction to Hollow Years, played in an alternative way. It was my personal highlight of the whole set! The sound was so great, the song was stretched a bit and added even were some extra vocal lines right before each chorus. It is hard putting into words what this one made stand out. Hearing it did the trick  Tongue
Let me summarize the rest. In order we got The Dance of Eternity, Prophets of War, Wither and Take the Time. At least, I think that order is correct. Maybe The Dance and Prophet were played in opposite order, haha. I am tired. It was awesome to hear an old song like Take the Time, by surprise. One cool thing of this tour is that we can never be sure what songs to expect. Could it have been Lie/The Mirror, or In the Name of God? Or Constant Motion? It could have been  Grin

Of course it all ended too soon. The wound was securely bandaged by The Count of Tuscany which I once again loved. The mellow middle section was so great. The whole concert Dream Theater played lasted, I think, a good 100 minutes. Not a minute of it I didn't enjoy.

You all know enough  Cool
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:16:02 pm by Dargor » Logged

SpaceDyeVest

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 07, 2009, 06:57:29 pm »

I believe the extended version of Hollow Years you refer to is the original version of it before it got chopped up for the album.

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32:09 pm »

Setlist:  Ahoy, Rotterdam:
A Nightmare to Remember
A Rite of Passage
Hollow Years (extended version)
Keyboard spot
Prophets of War
Wither
The Dance of Eternity
Take The Time
-------
Encore;
The Count of Tuscany

Got this from mp.com from lutima who is probably sleeping right now!   Wink  I read your post there, Caroline!  Can't wait to hear all about it, and i pray you took pics!

@ Dargor - great review!  So happy to see you had a good show!

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: October 08, 2009, 04:24:26 am »

I am still unsure about the order. But hey, at least I got the songs right!!  Grin Grin

Thanks Donna  Wink

lutima

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 08, 2009, 10:47:40 am »

Martijn already gave a great review of the show itself..so I'll just keep it to my meet and greet  Wink
Oh...and James, did you try some candy yet ??  Wink

F I N A L L Y !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool
OMG, this was soooooooooooo worth it !! Shocked I loved every minute of it and the DT guys just ROCKED and were so kind...First one I talked to ?... Yep, of course.....MIKEY !!! WOW, I know he was a great guy, but he was so patiently with me, being so nervous Smiley
I had a drawing for him from my youngest son Max and he was like oooh, how cute and said; 'do you know I have a son named Max as well ?' and he showed his tattoo...Of course I knew <gg>. I gave him the new Cirrha Niva (Dutch band with my friend Tommy as their drummer) cd and Mike said he recognized the name, really cool ! Mike signed the cover of his In Constant Motion dvd and when I walked away, he said; 'don't forget this....it's yours', oh my I almost forgot it !!!!
I gave all the guys some Dutch 'drop' candy and one bag for all of them with chocolate 'Kruidnoten' (sorry, there's no English word for it ! It's a cookie)...
They all were enthousiastic about it.I'm glad I gave Mike a letter with things I wanted to tell him, cause I forgot everything when I got in front of him !
Then John Petrucci....wow..what a smile the guys has (ahum..) <g> He signed the cover of his Suspended Animation cd and I told him as I did the others; thank you so much...then I said, and Rena too ! He looked at me, still smiling and said, oh ? I said yeah, you wouldn't be here without her !!! He laughed and said thank you Smiley
Jordan signed the picture of me and my boys I made for the Wheel competition and said it looked great.John Myung was sitting quietly as ever, but smiling when I said thank you to him as well signing the cover of his instruction video and said thank you to me Smiley
Last one....James !! He recognized me and I gave him the picture of him and me after his solo tour here in Holland in 2005. He signed it and I thanked him for posting on his board every once in a while. He said he will do it again soon and he shaked my hand and wished me a great show !!!
THANK YOU DREAM THEATER YOU GUYS ROCKED MY NIGHT ! AN AWESOME NIGHT TO REMEMBER FOREVER !!
YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A big THANK YOU to Flemming as well for being there with me and to my hubby Rik for being patient with me and my DT fangirlism, haha !

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:50:05 am by lutima » Logged

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 08, 2009, 11:40:01 am »

WOW!  Good for you, Caroline!  I will tell you once again, it's nice to see that you finally got to chat with the band!  I am so happy you got to talk to Mike and James in particular, and this time, you had YOUR say and said what you were meaning to say.  Glad you had an awesome time!  You must be on such a "downer" today!   Wink 
Thanks for posting and great pic, hon! 

Keep 'em coming folks!   Grin

Eva
« Reply #488 on: October 09, 2009, 05:15:00 am »

A pic from the show in Paris

Subu

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 09, 2009, 09:55:07 am »

Great pics......thanks for sharing.....and I LOVE the pic of you and Donna!  Can you send that in a bigger size??

Still waiting for those kitchen pics......;-))

‎"Accomplishment breeds confidence, insecurity breeds arrogance" - me

lutima

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 09, 2009, 05:00:21 pm »

WOW!  Good for you, Caroline!  I will tell you once again, it's nice to see that you finally got to chat with the band!  I am so happy you got to talk to Mike and James in particular, and this time, you had YOUR say and said what you were meaning to say.  Glad you had an awesome time!  You must be on such a "downer" today!   Wink 
Thanks for posting and great pic, hon! 

Keep 'em coming folks!   Grin

Well, your call certainly got me back to earth today !!!  Cheesy And now you know ALL about it ! Seriously, you couldn't have done it a better day, specially after Flemming left today  Sad Thanks again, my dear  Kiss

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 10, 2009, 01:58:52 am »

Manchester, England - 10/9/09

A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER
A RITE OF PASSAGE
(Quick Keyboard Spot)SACRIFICED SONS
WITHER
THE DANCE OF ETERNITY
ONE LAST TIME
THE SPIRIT CARRIES ON
IN THE NAME OF GOD
-----------------------
THE COUNT OF TUSCANY

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 10, 2009, 08:13:14 am »

@ lutima - Oh it was my pleasure to call you today!  I was so happy to hear you and speak to you!  Sorry my phone card ran out though... Embarrassed  I am going out today and getting a new one with more minutes on it!   Grin

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 11, 2009, 03:33:04 pm »

London, England - 10/10/09

A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER
(featuring Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth on vocals for MP's verse)
THE MIRROR
LIE
(Quick Keyboard Spot)
PROPHETS OF WAR
WITHER
THE DANCE OF ETERNITY
PERCUSSIVE NATION 2009 (featuring Martin Axenrot from Opeth, Steve Frothingham from Bigelf and Landryx from Unexpect) TAKE THE TIME
-------------------
THE COUNT OF TUSCANY       

-- MP played drums on BLACKBALL with Bigelf earlier in the night

Dargor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: October 11, 2009, 06:43:33 pm »

Damn... wish I'd seen/heard that!!   Shocked Mikael doing the grunts in ANTR...

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 51
  Print  

Jump to: