Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 51
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Dream Theater Official World Tour - Reviews, Setlists and Pics here!  (Read 659206 times)
Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2009, 09:45:30 am »

2009-08-04 - The Palace Theater - Albany, NY

1. A Nightmare to Remember
2. A Rite of Passage
3. Hollow Years (extended)
4. Erotomania
5. Voices
6. Prophets of War
7. The Count of Tuscany
----------------------------
8. Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

Andie1928

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2009, 01:16:53 pm »

Ok, but I am totally loving Jordan's video diary.  I think it's awesome how he let's us into these "moments"
while on the "off" times.   It's like "Wow, I wonder what they did today..."   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Or... what trouble is Jordan AND James causing today  Cheesy Cheesy

Yeah, really!! Just a couple of scamps!! Wink

Hey, anybody know where that video is of them at the truck stop? I can't seem to find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmxUUSyy0LQ&feature=channel
AND
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUacfF7kzJw&feature=channel

Thanks, Ash!! I drive over the road and I was curious what truck stop they were at, since I'm familiar with alot of them. Mike said they were in MD, and I figured out they were at the Flying J. I'm pretty sure I know which FJ they were at, and it's one of our fuel stops. I always wondered if one of these times, I would see the guys on the road late one night(I know I would flip if I saw them in the store when I go in to get my fuel receipt!!). I see tour buses all the time on the road, espescally when I'm fueling, they're pull in next to me at the fuel pumps. I've seen Chris Robinson's bus, Jason Mraz, The Mars Volta, Rascal Flatts, Eric Johnson's.... In fact, Eric Johnson's tour manager was so impressed that I even knew who he was, he came over to my truck(the manager, not Eric), and gave me one of his picks!!

I once heard a description of Dream Theater's music as putting Rush, Pink Floyd, & Metallica in a microwave and turning it on high.

That's pretty accurate, in my opinion.

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2009, 02:38:19 pm »

Ok, but I am totally loving Jordan's video diary.  I think it's awesome how he let's us into these "moments"
while on the "off" times.   It's like "Wow, I wonder what they did today..."   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Hey, anybody know where that video is of them at the truck stop? I can't seem to find it.

AND

Thanks, Ash!! I drive over the road and I was curious what truck stop they were at, since I'm familiar with alot of them. Mike said they were in MD, and I figured out they were at the Flying J. I'm pretty sure I know which FJ they were at, and it's one of our fuel stops. I always wondered if one of these times, I would see the guys on the road late one night(I know I would flip if I saw them in the store when I go in to get my fuel receipt!!). I see tour buses all the time on the road, espescally when I'm fueling, they're pull in next to me at the fuel pumps. I've seen Chris Robinson's bus, Jason Mraz, The Mars Volta, Rascal Flatts, Eric Johnson's.... In fact, Eric Johnson's tour manager was so impressed that I even knew who he was, he came over to my truck(the manager, not Eric), and gave me one of his picks!!

Hell during the PN08 Tour, the guys had to drive through Oregon to get to their California show, From Seattle ... and I bet the stopped at the few truck stops along the way there... (Naturally I had to be at a lacrosse game, at least we won the game) but i'd be the same way... esp to see them mulling around the candy.  Cheesy

Andie1928

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2009, 07:59:02 pm »

AND

Hell during the PN08 Tour, the guys had to drive through Oregon to get to their California show, From Seattle ... and I bet the stopped at the few truck stops along the way there... (Naturally I had to be at a lacrosse game, at least we won the game) but i'd be the same way... esp to see them mulling around the candy.  Cheesy

Off topic from the thread title, but you live in Portland, right? Then you'd be familiar with Jubitz. That's a really nice truckstop. I was watching a show on the Travel Channel called The Top 10 Truckstops in the World, and I was thinking "I bet one of those on the list is Jubitz", and it was!

Back on topic, on the one video with James, Jordan & Mike, I kept thinking, "Look at all the stuff Mike's getting!!". Of course, Jordan's thinking ths same thing!!

I once heard a description of Dream Theater's music as putting Rush, Pink Floyd, & Metallica in a microwave and turning it on high.

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2009, 08:14:57 pm »

AND

Off topic from the thread title, but you live in Portland, right? Then you'd be familiar with Jubitz. That's a really nice truckstop. I was watching a show on the Travel Channel called The Top 10 Truckstops in the World, and I was thinking "I bet one of those on the list is Jubitz", and it was!

Back on topic, on the one video with James, Jordan & Mike, I kept thinking, "Look at all the stuff Mike's getting!!". Of course, Jordan's thinking ths same thing!!

acutally I live 50-ish miles from Portland, In a SMALL town called Harrisburg, Its between Eugene (Where University Of Oregon is) and Corvallis (where Oregon State University is)

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2009, 01:23:14 am »

Wallingford, CT - 8/5/09

A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER
BEYOND THIS LIFE
HOLLOW YEARS
A RITE OF PASSAGE
THE DANCE OF ETERNITY
ONE LAST TIME
FORSAKEN
(Jordan Keyboard Spot)
SACRIFICED SONS
-------------
THE COUNT OF TUSCANY

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 06, 2009, 01:49:48 am »

for those close to the Asbury Park NJ date this friday. Subway has $5 tickets to ProgNation.

Sad Naturaly a ticket that is in my price range.... is on the other side of the country  Sad AND I can't even use this option for other shows... because Oregon and Washington isn't covered  Angry

I should just give up even trying to see the guys live and just do my usual stuff online here  Sad

dzop

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2009, 07:40:38 am »

Yes, I was in Wallingford last night and first, just let me say that DT get better each time I see them!  They were spectacular!  I was really happy and surprised with the set list (including the awesome "Forsaken") and of course, ending with the Count!  DT remain the finest musicians in the genre, bar none...and James, your singing was SUPREME!
Now, the bad stuff.  I know I'm going to get slammed for this and I've heard (and agree with) all of the prior posts about why they chose to do what they did and this is my opinion only:
I understand that it is called the "Progressive Nation Tour" and DT are trying to introduce their fans to other bands, but as far as I was concerned, I was bored to death for 3 hours!!!  I won't comment on each band, but I couldn't believe the standing ovations that were being given to ZMZ!  It's beyond astounding.  I guess it wasn't my thing.  I respect all of you for enjoying it and some of the musicianship was very good, but the music and songs were horrendous!  Should I have thought long and hard before going to the show when I saw these bands on the bill knowing nothing about them?  Probably.  Lesson learned.  If DT have opening acts again, I'll do my homework next time and if necessary, sit in the bar until the real band goes on.
Thanks for a great night DT-you are and will always be the best!
P.S. I still don't quite understand many DT fans though (I had my fist pumping for much of the set, but I saw little of that around me).

Andie1928

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 06, 2009, 08:43:55 am »

AND

acutally I live 50-ish miles from Portland, In a SMALL town called Harrisburg, Its between Eugene (Where University Of Oregon is) and Corvallis (where Oregon State University is)

Gotcha, yeah, I looked up exactly where that was. I've been to that area a few times, but not enough to know where it was off the top of my head. I did find Harrisburg, though. Wink

Andie1928

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 06, 2009, 09:05:03 am »

Yes, I was in Wallingford last night and first, just let me say that DT get better each time I see them!  They were spectacular!  I was really happy and surprised with the set list (including the awesome "Forsaken") and of course, ending with the Count!  DT remain the finest musicians in the genre, bar none...and James, your singing was SUPREME!
Now, the bad stuff.  I know I'm going to get slammed for this and I've heard (and agree with) all of the prior posts about why they chose to do what they did and this is my opinion only:
I understand that it is called the "Progressive Nation Tour" and DT are trying to introduce their fans to other bands, but as far as I was concerned, I was bored to death for 3 hours!!!  I won't comment on each band, but I couldn't believe the standing ovations that were being given to ZMZ!  It's beyond astounding.  I guess it wasn't my thing.  I respect all of you for enjoying it and some of the musicianship was very good, but the music and songs were horrendous!  Should I have thought long and hard before going to the show when I saw these bands on the bill knowing nothing about them?  Probably.  Lesson learned.  If DT have opening acts again, I'll do my homework next time and if necessary, sit in the bar until the real band goes on.
Thanks for a great night DT-you are and will always be the best!
P.S. I still don't quite understand many DT fans though (I had my fist pumping for much of the set, but I saw little of that around me).

Well, I'm not going to slam you for your opinion. I respect what you have to say, whether positive or negative. I see what you're saying. Last year's PN, it got me into 2 of the bands, 3 & Opeth. BTBAM wasn't my "cup of tea". I ws anxious to check out Opeth especially. This year, I purposely missed the 1st 2 bands on the 1st couple shows I saw. I had least had heard of Opeth before I saw them. Never heard of these 2. I kept being told 'you really should check them out'. I finally did in MD, Scale the Summit is all instrumental. Not my thing. This is why I can't seem to get into LTE(although I LOVE DT's instrumentals). Bigelf was OK, also wasn't for me though.  I had seen ZPZ, last year, even though I wasn't familiar with Zappa's music. To me, they were entertaining, but I don't see myself buying any of their CD's. In fact, in Orlando & Asheville, I didn't get to the venues until late, almost 9:00, because I just didn't feel like sitting through all that again.

And was it just me, but did it seem like ZPZ played longer than DT?

P.S. The Oakdale crowd sounds much like the lame crowd at Clearwater!! Sorry to hear that. Did they at least stay standing? I can't even say that about Clearwater!! Angry Roll Eyes

Underground

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:20 am »

The last show I went to people actually asked me to sit because they couldnt see since THEY were sitting.  I looked at them like they were nuts.  I have NEVER sat at a concert.  EVER.   Angry

Subu

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 06, 2009, 12:32:01 pm »

The last show I went to people actually asked me to sit because they couldnt see since THEY were sitting.  I looked at them like they were nuts.  I have NEVER sat at a concert.  EVER.   Angry

Then perhaps you ruined the show as much for them as their preference for sitting ruined it for you.  I just don't understand why ANY audience member should tell another how to enjoy a show.....and common courtesy suggests that in a seated venue, the people in front sit so those behind them can see the show they paid to see as well......then again, common courtesty is not so common anymore....

Not getting at you personally Underground, just stating that there are as many people who can thoroughly enjoy a show from a seated position as those that like to stand for hours on end.....and in the end, if you treat someone with respect and courtesy, chances are pretty good you will be treated with respect and courtesy as well.....

I am an older fan, and it is nearly impossible for me to stand in line for hours only to stand for the show as well......it isn't a matter of wanting to or not, it is a matter of a body that cannot take that kind of abuse.....does that mean I am not allowed to enjoy the show from a seated position??

‎"Accomplishment breeds confidence, insecurity breeds arrogance" - me

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: August 06, 2009, 01:55:24 pm »

The last show I went to people actually asked me to sit because they couldnt see since THEY were sitting.  I looked at them like they were nuts.  I have NEVER sat at a concert.  EVER.   Angry

Then perhaps you ruined the show as much for them as their preference for sitting ruined it for you.  I just don't understand why ANY audience member should tell another how to enjoy a show.....and common courtesy suggests that in a seated venue, the people in front sit so those behind them can see the show they paid to see as well......then again, common courtesty is not so common anymore....

Not getting at you personally Underground, just stating that there are as many people who can thoroughly enjoy a show from a seated position as those that like to stand for hours on end.....and in the end, if you treat someone with respect and courtesy, chances are pretty good you will be treated with respect and courtesy as well.....

I am an older fan, and it is nearly impossible for me to stand in line for hours only to stand for the show as well......it isn't a matter of wanting to or not, it is a matter of a body that cannot take that kind of abuse.....does that mean I am not allowed to enjoy the show from a seated position??

i totally agree with you Subu, though i never sit at the concerts myself. Knowing that, I always buy tickets to the dancefloor, not to make any inconveniences to others. I'm young and strong enough to endure a few hours of standing in line and then a couple hours of the show. If it's a seated-only venue, I buy tickets to the very rear sectors where people usually stand too.

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 06, 2009, 03:25:32 pm »

I agree... for the most part depending on who the opening band is, you sit. When i was at a Queensryche Concert, Don Dokken opened, and everyone say for that one, because it was an acoustic set. but once Queensryche got on stage, you couldn't sit, mainly cause it was a small venue.

I guess if someone told me to sit down, I'd say "Sorry I paid good money to see them live. This may be the ONLY time in my life to see them, so I'm going to enjoy it my way. You don't like it... too bad. You are not going to ruin MY concert experience"  But then again... I'm not really that nice about things.... Wink

For those who think DT doesn't notice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALh1cKrjj-4 the guys are going to make you STAND  Cheesy

"Roll Psycho"

AND

Gotcha, yeah, I looked up exactly where that was. I've been to that area a few times, but not enough to know where it was off the top of my head. I did find Harrisburg, though. Wink

Either way a concert is a big trip... Yet i have to have a date close enough for me to travel to  Sad

*sigh*
Maybe Spring.... keep my fingers crossed, but i won't be surprised if it doesn't happen... Live Nation has been stupid that way for my state Sad
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:40:02 pm by w34vi1 » Logged

dzop

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 06, 2009, 03:58:06 pm »

Thanks.  I read on this forum that ZPZ played for 1:20 and DT played for 1:40 and that's what it turned out to be.  Too bad.  Yes, the crowd stood, thank God!

Well, I'm not going to slam you for your opinion. I respect what you have to say, whether positive or negative. I see what you're saying. Last year's PN, it got me into 2 of the bands, 3 & Opeth. BTBAM wasn't my "cup of tea". I ws anxious to check out Opeth especially. This year, I purposely missed the 1st 2 bands on the 1st couple shows I saw. I had least had heard of Opeth before I saw them. Never heard of these 2. I kept being told 'you really should check them out'. I finally did in MD, Scale the Summit is all instrumental. Not my thing. This is why I can't seem to get into LTE(although I LOVE DT's instrumentals). Bigelf was OK, also wasn't for me though.  I had seen ZPZ, last year, even though I wasn't familiar with Zappa's music. To me, they were entertaining, but I don't see myself buying any of their CD's. In fact, in Orlando & Asheville, I didn't get to the venues until late, almost 9:00, because I just didn't feel like sitting through all that again.

And was it just me, but did it seem like ZPZ played longer than DT?

P.S. The Oakdale crowd sounds much like the lame crowd at Clearwater!! Sorry to hear that. Did they at least stay standing? I can't even say that about Clearwater!! 

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 51
  Print  

Jump to: