Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Dream Theater Official World Tour - Reviews, Setlists and Pics here!  (Read 692777 times)
Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »

Back from the Gods of Metal festival!!!  Grin Cool Dream Theater headlining their own stage, and as always they delivered the goods flawlessly!!!

Setlist (pics will come in a way or the other, I have so many of them) :

intro (Psycho theme + mix of songs excerpts)
In the Presence of Enemies pt. 1
Beyond this Life
Constant Motion
A Rite of Passage
Hollow Years
Caught in a Web
Erotomania
Voices
Pull Me Under
Metropolis pt. 1

Like an idiot I watched with the mouse-over the setlist thread over at MP.com so I got spoiled the first two songs... still I hoped for a diverse setlist, but that was not the case, so when I saw Mike climbing on his drums and counting on the secret cowbell, I knew In the Presence of Enemies was about to start  Grin James arrived halfway through and immediately made the stage his own, very confident and secure... and obviously great at singing as well!

Beyond this Life followed immediately after, and what a roar it was... the crowd went crazy on this, ha!! everyone singing during the chorus... no changes to this one, it was "just" the studio version, but at 11 minutes, it was fine this way  Grin

As soon as the slow outro for BtL ended, JP started immediately Constant Motion, which was another neck breaker for the audience... out of the set it's the song I could have done without the most, but it's still fun to hear live... forevermore - into the night - blistering!!!!

It was only now that the band stopped, and James talked... and he did to present the new album, and introduce the new song, A Rite of Passage: my, what a great live song it's this!!! slow headbanging and a full singalong on the chorus with people luckily knowing already the song... this one is quite a strong number live, too bad they didn't play Wither as well!!

Speaking of softer songs, next was Hollow Years, with a intro that took me a while to figure out, but by the moment the actual song kicked in, I knew what it was, ha! this one was the demo version, with a slightly extended bridge, and with an added and quite beautiful solo similar like the one found on Live at Budokan... very nice stuff!!

Caught in a Web was next, and it was about time to get some good ol' Awake back! short but powerful song, James firing on all cylinders and the band following him... it was just great hearing James raging on during the whole song like in the good ol' times!!  Cool

And then, the combo of the evening: Erotomania + Voices!!!!! everyone went nuts during Erotomania, and it was funny when in the middle of the song (when the most melodic part starts, leading to the themes of The Silent Man and Caught in a Web) they slowed down and stopped, with then Mike making the gesture of starting again but stopping, and then pointing at JP like saying "ha, got you!", before restarting again for real.... too funny!
And the Voices, the masterpiece that Voices is, played flawlessly and perfectly... well, maybe not perfectly: there HAS to be the second, heavy verse, no Voices is complete without "f@[k this w^0re" part  Grin

By now it was time for the ultimate higlights... first Pull Me Under, with obviously everyone singing along (and in the part leading up to the "Watch the sparrows falling" part some insane double-bass-that-it-looks-triple work from Mike), and then the ultimate masterpiece that Metropolis pt. 1 is, with an extended solo section with Jordan using his "keytar" that was standing behind him since the show started.... what a way to end the show and what a nice song to hear as last after 2 days of festival  Smiley

Too bad that time it flew away, and while the setlist was nice, I could think of an entirely diverse setlist without any of these songs, and yet there'd be many songs worth to hear missing from that alternative set, so I'll just be happy with what I got from my 8th live experience with the guys... no particular words of praise for James: by now we all know how great and consistent he is, so sayin that he was great is by now stating the obvious  Cheesy and well, with musicians like that you can't go wrong, and even if they'd mess up something I bet most wouldn't notice... James' voice is obviously a lot more noticeable, but there's nothing that he wasn't able to do last night and once again I am completely satisfied by his performance  Cool

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2009, 12:29:17 pm »

Great review Orodaran! Good to know you had an awesome time =)

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2009, 12:07:23 pm »

Also, for anyone who wants to check out, Youtube is full of videos of the concert, just search for "Dream Theater live Gods of Metal 2009"

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

lutima

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2009, 04:51:21 am »

A Nightmare to Remember has been played in Prague last night !!  Shocked Cool Cool
Here's the setlist

Prague, Czech Republic - 6/30/09

IN THE PRESENCE OF ENEMIES PT.1.
BEYOND THIS LIFE
PANIC ATTACK
A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER
HOLLOW YEARS
CONSTANT MOTION
EROTOMANIA
VOICES
A RITE OF PASSAGE 
THE SPIRIT CARRIES ON
AS I AM
-----------------------------------------
MEDLEY:
I. METROPOLIS
II. LEARNING TO LIVE
III. ACOS: THE CRIMSON SUNSET

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:50 am »

I'm dying to know how ANTR went live! (I've seen all the other songs from Prague setlist with my own eyes...and ears Wink anyway) must've been great!

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2009, 02:35:13 pm »

That setlist slays others!

Shocked Cool

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2009, 02:36:17 pm »

Damn those czech fans!!! not only they live in one of the most beautiful towns of the world, they even get the worldwide premiere of A Nightmare to Remember!!!! strange that they didn't play Wither, the "usual" pattern for DT during summer festivals seemed to be the one of playing the "easy" songs (see last tour: Constant Motion, Dark Eternal Night, Forsaken) while saving the epics for the proper headliner tour....

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2009, 02:41:03 pm »

Damn those czech fans!!! not only they live in one of the most beautiful towns of the world, they even get the worldwide premiere of A Nightmare to Remember!!!! strange that they didn't play Wither, the "usual" pattern for DT during summer festivals seemed to be the one of playing the "easy" songs (see last tour: Constant Motion, Dark Eternal Night, Forsaken) while saving the epics for the proper headliner tour....

maybe they wanted to save it for a later time, or when they go through Europe again...

they still have PN08 North America and Europe, AND the World tour...

who knows the method behind Mike's madness...

dinka

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »

Setlist from Hungary:

IN THE PRESENCE OF ENEMIES PT.1.
BEYOND THIS LIFE
MISUNDERSTOOD
A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER
HOLLOW YEARS
CAUGHT IN A WEB
EROTOMANIA
VOICES
SOLITARY SHELL
RITE OF PASSAGE
PULL ME UNDER
---------------
METROPOLIS - LEARNING TO LIVE - THE CRIMSON SUNSET MEDLEY

Guys, James is over the top!!! I loved the set, though it was not enough from JAMES, I'd have loved to hear him more - many instrumental parts. No, I am not complaining, I just fell in love with James again. =))))
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:48:57 pm by dinka » Logged

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 02, 2009, 02:21:29 am »

"Legendary Dream Theater drummer MIKE PORTNOY will be appearing at two Daddy's Junky Music locations in August, but you must REGISTER online to attend! Registration is free, PLUS, by registering, you automatically are entered for a chance to win a pair of tickets to see DREAM THEATER live!"

Click here to register!

david

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 02, 2009, 07:03:47 am »

hi people Smiley i was in hungary.... perfect show... but perfect jamessssss Smiley

dinka

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 02, 2009, 07:46:45 am »

Hey, David, I have a feeling we've met yesterday... Weren't you the guy who asked us (two boys, a bigger and a smaller, and a girl) if we also had M&G tickets? Just according to this small pic here...

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2009, 08:45:47 pm »

New PN09 Europe date added:

Thu   Oct 22nd    Porto, Portugal    Palacio de Cristal New!!!

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2009, 03:07:51 pm »

More PN09 Europe Dates:

Mon   Oct 26th    Milan, Italy    Mediolanumforum New!!!

Tue   Oct 27th    Rome, Italy    Palalottomatica    New!!!

Thu   Oct 29th    Bologna, Italy    Future Show Station Arena New!!!

Fri   Oct 30th    Conegliano (nr Treviso), Italy    Palasport New!!!

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 04, 2009, 07:28:32 pm »

Turkey Istanbul Set List

N THE PRESENCE OF ENEMIES PT.1.
BEYOND THIS LIFE
MISUNDERSTOOD
A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER
HOLLOW YEARS
CAUGHT IN A WEB
EROTOMANIA
VOICES
SOLITARY SHELL
A RITE OF PASSAGE
PULL ME UNDER
Encore: MEDLEY
I. METROPOLIS
II. LEARNING TO LIVE
III. ACOS: THE CRIMSON SUNSET

That was really unbelievable concert. Everyone in group was on fire. Can't say anything negative for them.

First of all; We waited for the open-time of concert with myfriends. It was like time wasn't ticking. Anyway; I bought VIP ticket with my dudes so we went to lead raw and waiting for DT. Of course CYNIC made the crowd crazy with their super performance but surely everyone here was waiting for DT.

The Open Of DT

That was amazing, drums, guitars, keys and these most talented guys apeared. In The Presence Of Enemies was done perfectly, actually they played tihs song in 2007 but this time LaBrie made this song a legendary opener.

Beyond This Life as usual perfect and almost played in every gigs. That was enough to make us totaly crazy about them. Great solos, great drum.

Misunderstood; really I wasn't expecting to hear but they suprised us, I was melting for this song cos it become such a great song on live with LaBrie.

A Nightmare To Remember; that was shocking time. This song was made to make it performe live. Begining of the song; James's voice took us back Awake's days. His voice really impressing on that one. And the second section of the song and with a lovely voice of LaBrie. I can't tell you just have to see it live.

Hollow Years; a great ballad made its work and made everyone live in wonderland. Can't believe the crowd sang it the entire song. That was amazing time of the concert of course; LaBrie and us were amazing. 

Caught In A Web; of course I have some doubt about this song cos there is no video about on BC&SL tour and I thought; how can it be cool live! But I was really SHOCKED of LaBrie's performance. Like I said; He was on fire and made us live Awake's day again. Not like Chaos in Motion tour. Really improved singing.

Erotomania and Voices; Erotomania yeah! Everyone just focused Petrucci, Myung and Portnoy. A magic time for us. And the legend song of VOICES. There is no word to explain their performance. LaBrie was star of the song. He hit the high notes with no mistakes. That killed us of course. After high notes; everyone was screaming "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaa Brieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" 

Solitary Shell: Such a great and funny live song. We all enjoyed. Believe me; Turkish fans are really great listener. We never kept us unmoved, always there was an action, screaming! 

A Rite Of Passage: Really I undertand that; This song become pretty badass live. LaBrie really owned the begining and the chours really impressing with Portnoy. It seems; the crowd knew the song well.

Pull Me Under: LaBrie left to sing and we had the mic.   And DT just watched us   I was waiting PMU cos the last gig they played AS I AM. So it was not suprising. LaBrie nailed the "Watch the...." section, that was not like you saw on Youtube. These high notes were hit by LaBrie well.

Medley: A great medley opening with Metropolis, I felt myself watching SCORE cos LaBrie really sang it perfectly. The solos section with Rudess and Petrucci killer part of it. And Learning To Live just a taste from I&W. Brillant performed by LaBrie and I must say that this song should be played BC&SL world tour entirely. We just missing F# section. And The Crimson Sunset and the voice of LaBrie just made us kill. "Live Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!" 

The crowd, DT, Istanbul, Turkey everthing was amazing.
Istanbul had an earthquake, we died in this beautiful agony 
Waiting again you guysssssssssssss 

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51
  Print  

Jump to: