Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 New Dream Theater Album Speculations & Predictions  (Read 109742 times)
SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »

So, the guys are in the studio, don't know yet the new drummer is with them or not, we have no evidence. Since we have a photo from the studio, pirate is with them. Arrrggghhh this is absolutely great.

Proof: http://plixi.com/p/72482100  Grin

Well, what are your wishes or what are your expections? For me, I am waiting something like Awake & Six Degrees. This combined working would make me excited. I also think that Myung and LaBrie will be part of writing season this time. At least they'll write lyrics. Of course I'm speculating but I get the feeling that DT will show their musical roots more than ever.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:11:16 am by SeRoX » Logged

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

Natt

Wicked Natt The Scourge O' The High Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:24:28 pm »

I'm expecting something different from any album of their catalog. After all, it's what they always have done, I hope they won't change this pattern and repeat themselves stylistically. Also, I expect James to have some input at least with vocal melodies and really interesting and diverse vocals as a result. I hope the new drummer will bring some fresh ideas aboard as well. Wishful thinking.
But generally I don't have any specific expectations. DT has never failed to satisfy my taste before, so I'm sure whatever they'll come up with this time, I'll enjoy it thoroughly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:32:22 pm by Natt » Logged

"If you did Scenes From a Memory movie, who would play Victoria?" - "John Myung".

"I can hear myself screaming in the background. I have to tell myself to shut up".
- James LaBrie, Used Bin radio

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:43:12 pm »

I am praying John Myung will contribute lyrically this time around.  He has a wonderful soul about him, and the potential in there would be absolutely mind blowing to me. 

....just sayin'............... Wink Grin

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

jonny108

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:59:57 pm »

Would also love to hear some inspired basslines, not just following Petrucci.  Smiley

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:01:56 pm »

James getting his Kill Roy on?

marcosf

Eu sou apenas um rapaz latino americano

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 01:51:31 pm »

I think this album will be composed of an epic. That's the way DT can maintain the style and not repeat itself. There are so much more possibilities when these guys write long songs, like happens with Neal Morse compositions. I mean, I love all their stuff, the epics and "normal" songs, but bring on an epic!!!!!!!!!!!!

"History is critic, and power does not love it" G. C. Argan

marquinhos.varsano

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:22:21 pm »

On the previous records expected to be blown away (and DT always delivered, in my opinion), but this time, I expect to be blown away by a fresh approach, due to the line up change. I'm sincerely hoping for a more prog oriented record rather than a metal oriented one. But as John Wetton says...only time will tell.

Orodaran

Mountainking

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:26:55 pm »

What I expect: something fresh and "mature", "serious".... DT have never really did anything embarassing or to be laughed at (even though The Dark Eternal Night comes dangerously close to that definition), and I expect them to try to come up with a mature sound that will avoid comments from people like "ah here they shred just to shred, the song is disjointed", "here they ripped off this or that band", "the lyrics are corny" and so on - be these comments actually justified or not.

I think too it will be more prog than metal, and that John Myung may have a go at the lyrics; maybe James will contribute more and be the mastermind behind the melodies and the vocal line, with JP and JR covering a lot of the basic songwriting.

What I hope for: well, what I described would make me happy  Cheesy I'd just be fine with an album in the style of Black Clouds and Silver Linings, but with twice as many songs. I want variations, I want an album like Awake: not in the sense of style, but in the sense of diversity. 11 songs, short prog / metal heavy songs, 2 and just 2 (but very good) epics, a short acoustic ballad, a piano piece, an instrumental.... variety, variety, and stuff that after a month I'm still there trying to figure out what the hell is going on with the song (To this day I still like BC&SL a lot, but I remember that after a month I basically "knew" all the album inside out. I want this new record to make me go WTF for a long time).

Oh, and I'd love for at least some of the songs to be approached the way James write his solo album - him behind the mastermind behind the song, and crafting by his own all the song structure and the vocal lines. Enough with instrumental songs that get lyrics added later on, I want James' voice to be made one of the most important and essential elements of the next album!

Mike Portnoy recalling their first impression about James: Pulled out his picture and he had the look we were looking for. "Wow, this guy's really good-looking too, man." You know, he had a great voice and he looked good.. "He must be an asshole."

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 04:00:05 pm »

I am praying John Myung will contribute lyrically this time around.  He has a wonderful soul about him, and the potential in there would be absolutely mind blowing to me. 

Let us all join our hands in prayer…
I'm definitely thinking that the new album will have a fresh feel because of the new drummer. Looking forward to that!

Nikostheater

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »

Let us all join our hands in prayer…
I'm definitely thinking that the new album will have a fresh feel because of the new drummer. Looking forward to that!
I hope also much more involvement from James this time around.

SeRoX

The VoiceMaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 04:52:20 pm »

That's my hope as well.

"I think most of you have heard of the Kevin Moore thing. He signed up for astronaut to go to Mars"

JLB

w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 05:03:43 pm »

*cracks knuckles* what ever it turns out to be... i'm ready to draw a new signature Wink

i just have to decide how i want to that edition Tongue

Splinter76

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 05:18:50 pm »

Honestly... I expect greatness like I always have. However, I do NOT expect to be blown away with some new direction except - maybe - where melody is concerned. That's only because, if James is more involved in the writing process, he's better at melody than anyone in the band (in my humble opinion).

We have to remember that JP and Jordan developed a writing chemistry long ago and I really believe that they have controlled the musical direction more than Mike ever did. Outside of playing drums, I think Mike just said "I want this to have more balls and chunk" or something like that. So I'm not expecting any huge departure from what they've been putting out... especially with the type of record Black Clouds and Silver Linings proved to be.

Where I think we'll see the BIGGEST stylistic difference, obviously, is from whomever plays drums, but that will be just from a drum standpoint. Don't expect this new drummer to come in and say "we should do this, this and this". I bet JR and JP will be the producers on this next record OR... "Dream Theater" as the 4 remaining members go.

That's just my take. I'm very optimistic, but I'm not expecting a world of difference.

I JUST WANT MORE JAMES LABRIE INVOLVEMENT!!!!

goo-goo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 11:14:26 pm »

Read my mind Donna D.

I also would like for better JP lyrics...They were weak in SC and a bit better in Black Clouds.

And a couple of JLB lyrics wouldn't hurt as well

rhino2112

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 12:05:20 am »

Read my mind Donna D.

I also would like for better JP lyrics...They were weak in SC and a bit better in Black Clouds.

And a couple of JLB lyrics wouldn't hurt as well

You didn't like The Count of Tuscany lyrics??  Great song, but down right confusing story.  A Nightmare to Remember isn't far behind.  Love both of those songs but lyrically weak.
Looking forward to the new album.  Extremely optimistic about it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: