Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35
  Print  
Author Topic: Dream Theater: A Dramatic Tour Of Events Schedule  (Read 122118 times)
w34vi1

Ship Tour Date carrier pigeon and artist

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2011, 07:35:18 pm »

Cool WHOA!   What a show!!!    I am not very skilled as a reviewer, but I do have my thoughts, and since James did state they do read their boards I will pass on my perspective…
PROS – The new lineup simply RAWKS!!  James was simply on FIRE last night.  I don’t know where all the negativity is coming from that I read on the internet – like how he has to warm up etc.  He nailed everything from the first note to the last!   JMX could be heard in the mix, finally, and was stellar, as usual.  He and MM seem to have a good chemistry and are tight and solid.  JR’s contributions were tasteful and less “over the top” than before and I am grateful for it!  The keyboard elements fit the music.  JP was – well, JP.  Tens of thousands of notes seemingly effortlessly being generated for each song…..and backup vocals that were spot on!  And MM – what a GREAT addition to DT…..it really boggles my mind to think of what he has had to learn in the past few months, and then for him to perform  so well!  Even the clam at the beginning of Fatal Tragedy was recovered from extremely well and went unnoticed by many.    His drum solo was a real pleasure to listen to and be amazed by.    The “lighter” portion of the set – Wait for Sleep and Far From Heaven, were, simply, beautiful!    New songs we heard were great live…..we had Bridges in the Sky, Build Me Up, Break Me Down, the aforementioned Far From Heaven, Breaking All Illusions and On The Backs of Angels.   BMUBMD was not a fav of mine but I like it much more now having heard it live.   

Set list
Bridges in the Sky
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
These Walls
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
The Ytse Jam
Wait for Sleep
Far From Heaven
The Great Debate
On the Backs of Angels
Caught In A Web
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Breaking All Illusions
Encore:
Pull Me Under - always a Chicago favorite......

(the order may have been a little different than what I posted above, but I believe all the songs are accounted for)

CONS – Why oh why do some sound guys think we paid our hard earned money to have our hearing destroyed???  While the sound is usually really clear and good in the Rosemont Theater, the sound people had the drums and bass turned up so high it was actually painful, and consequently it drowned out most of the keyboards and a lot of JP and James’ work.  Vocals were hard to hear, JP was low in the mix and JR was practically not there at all……and the sound was overall just TOO loud!  When the sound starts clipping and distorting and making people in the theater plug their ears, it is too loud.  The nuances get lost and the musical experience is reduced and that is what happened last night. 
Other cons – Trivium.  I’m sorry – I just felt like we listened to one obnoxiously long song (even though there were several – they were all the same meter, same key, same “groove” (if you can call it that) and those horrible cookie monster vocals….and FAR TOO LOUD!  It was literally deafening.  While they played with enthusiasm, the music was just not something of interest to me. 
Anyway, great show overall – love the new stuff and was impressed by how the older songs retained their sound but had new dimension with MM at the kit…..THANKS DT, for another great show!!!!

I have often wondered why Trivium is opening for them....What does this band's music have in common with DT's music? Besides both being metal?? I have a strong feeling Roadrunner placed Trivium with DT, and DT did not have a choice on who to take out on tour with them...I could be completely wrong.
I mean seriously...why not take out Myrath on tour??!! But instead Trivium?? Myrath would INSTANTLY get the recognition they deserve and be overnight successes touring with DT.

I am not looking forward to my ears being blown up...Your review makes me nervous!! I am used to losing my hearing for a couple days after a show....but your review sounds likes the music is even MORE loud than normal.
I paid for my VIP meet and greet package for the Boston show. I can hardly wait, and it seems still so surreal!

One of Trivium's older influences was in fact DT. And strangely enough Trivium is progressive metal like DT... Undecided

Tonight's show is vacant Trivium...

During the Seattle show, the Capt did tell his mic guy to get his act together. There were times James' mic would squeal, but it didn't help his stand was having issues... The mic clip on top broke a number of times.

Asianhawk

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:39 pm »

Huh...I never heard anything from Trivium that sounded progressive metal... But it has been a while since I listened to anything by them...I was never all too impressed to keep trying them. I have heard there has been a lot of growth in their material over the years...but others say no.

“An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.”

-- William Faulkner

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2011, 01:50:32 am »

Royal Oak Music Theatre - Royal Oak, MI - 10-03-11

Bridges in the Sky
These Walls
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
The Ytse Jam
The Silent Man
Beneath the Surface
The Great Debate
On the Backs of Angels
Forsaken
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Outcry
Encore:
Under a Glass Moon

Octavius2250

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2011, 01:53:07 am »

Why oh why do some sound guys think we paid our hard earned money to have our hearing destroyed??? 

I hear you! It seems to be the fashion lately or something. When Anathema played after DT at the Loreley, the bass drum and the bass were extreeeemely loud for those of us front row. And with Judas Priest last August in Berlin it was also the bass drum and the bass that were extremely loud, making my chest vibrate terribly with every beat and taking from the whole musical experience. I've never used these ear things, but I'm gonna have to buy them if that's the way it's gonna be at every concert I visit :S
It looks like the loudness war has expanded its reach beyond the studio to reach live performances... Cry

James LaBrie has more balls than all of his haters combined.

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:59 am »

Why oh why do some sound guys think we paid our hard earned money to have our hearing destroyed??? 

I hear you! It seems to be the fashion lately or something. When Anathema played after DT at the Loreley, the bass drum and the bass were extreeeemely loud for those of us front row. And with Judas Priest last August in Berlin it was also the bass drum and the bass that were extremely loud, making my chest vibrate terribly with every beat and taking from the whole musical experience. I've never used these ear things, but I'm gonna have to buy them if that's the way it's gonna be at every concert I visit :S
It looks like the loudness war has expanded its reach beyond the studio to reach live performances... Cry
maybe its because it is the same people who have their headphones up to high, they don't have any hearing left, and think that a louder concert is better. However for those of us who keep our players lower, and wear ear plugs at concerts feel otherwise.

I honestly couldn't tell you the sound, mainly because i was wearing ear plugs (I made the mistake at a Queensryche show to now have a pair) it sounded great otherwise Smiley

awake87

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2011, 08:49:10 am »

Hi all, the new setlist is fantastic, well balanced, the new songs are AWESOME Cool Anyway I noticed that James's voice sound a little weaker in this leg compared to the first european leg, in wich he suonded better than ever.. Don't get me wrong, in most of the songs he sounds good as always;) but to be honest he seems to struggle a little bit in some latest videos.. maybe he doesn't feel in top-form phisically? I don't know, it's pure speculation.. He's my favourite singer and his voice is the first thing I hear live Grin .. What do you  think?

Subu

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2011, 09:29:08 am »

^^^ Don't get why people keep saying this....James sounded FANTASTIC at the Chicago show, from start to finish...no weakness, no apparent struggle.....my guess is that the crummy quality of the videos on YouTube are at fault......James is on FIRE this tour!   If the sound guys would get the sound balanced, he would sound even better!

‎"Accomplishment breeds confidence, insecurity breeds arrogance" - me

Viola da Voce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2011, 01:33:29 pm »

Cool WHOA!   What a show!!!    I am not very skilled as a reviewer, but I do have my thoughts, and since James did state they do read their boards I will pass on my perspective…
PROS – The new lineup simply RAWKS!!  James was simply on FIRE last night.  I don’t know where all the negativity is coming from that I read on the internet – like how he has to warm up etc.  He nailed everything from the first note to the last!   JMX could be heard in the mix, finally, and was stellar, as usual.  He and MM seem to have a good chemistry and are tight and solid.  JR’s contributions were tasteful and less “over the top” than before and I am grateful for it!  The keyboard elements fit the music.  JP was – well, JP.  Tens of thousands of notes seemingly effortlessly being generated for each song…..and backup vocals that were spot on!  And MM – what a GREAT addition to DT…..it really boggles my mind to think of what he has had to learn in the past few months, and then for him to perform  so well!  Even the clam at the beginning of Fatal Tragedy was recovered from extremely well and went unnoticed by many.    His drum solo was a real pleasure to listen to and be amazed by.    The “lighter” portion of the set – Wait for Sleep and Far From Heaven, were, simply, beautiful!    New songs we heard were great live…..we had Bridges in the Sky, Build Me Up, Break Me Down, the aforementioned Far From Heaven, Breaking All Illusions and On The Backs of Angels.   BMUBMD was not a fav of mine but I like it much more now having heard it live.   

Set list
Bridges in the Sky
These Walls
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
The Ytse Jam
Wait for Sleep
Far From Heaven
The Great Debate
On the Backs of Angels
Caught In A Web
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Breaking All Illusions
Encore:
Pull Me Under - always a Chicago favorite......

(the order may have been a little different than what I posted above, but I believe all the songs are accounted for)

CONS – Why oh why do some sound guys think we paid our hard earned money to have our hearing destroyed???  While the sound is usually really clear and good in the Rosemont Theater, the sound people had the drums and bass turned up so high it was actually painful, and consequently it drowned out most of the keyboards and a lot of JP and James’ work.  Vocals were hard to hear, JP was low in the mix and JR was practically not there at all……and the sound was overall just TOO loud!  When the sound starts clipping and distorting and making people in the theater plug their ears, it is too loud.  The nuances get lost and the musical experience is reduced and that is what happened last night. 
Other cons – Trivium.  I’m sorry – I just felt like we listened to one obnoxiously long song (even though there were several – they were all the same meter, same key, same “groove” (if you can call it that) and those horrible cookie monster vocals….and FAR TOO LOUD!  It was literally deafening.  While they played with enthusiasm, the music was just not something of interest to me. 
Anyway, great show overall – love the new stuff and was impressed by how the older songs retained their sound but had new dimension with MM at the kit…..THANKS DT, for another great show!!!!

I was also at the Chicago show, and I was simply blown away. JLB sounded awesome. He sounded like an absolute angel in the "acoustic set". And I was so happy to hear These Walls, I just about started crying. JLB was also wearing an AWESOME long black coat during the beginning of the set. I absolutely love Mangini's drum solo. Hubby and I were sitting with our jaws open and drool coming out of our mouths. And he moves so beautifully when he plays. It's like watching water flow. As for the set list, I loved all of their choices. I think this is the third time I've heard Endless Sacrifice live. It was nice to hear Pull Me under again, too.
As Subu mentioned, the overall volume was ridiculously loud. I've always worn earplugs to concerts, but my ears were hurting afterwards even though I had earplugs in. I was also highly entertained by the lack of audience response to Trivium. I don't care for their music at all, but I felt kind of bad for the poor guys because they were trying their hardest to whip up some enthusiasm from the audience. At one point, the lead singer gave the standard line of "the audience in the city kicks the ass of all the audiences in the other cities". I sure hope we weren't the best audience they had on this tour, because the response in the other cities must've been pretty awful if it was!
Also, I really liked the new cube screens that the guys are using. And the cartoon intro is hilarious.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:37:37 pm by Viola da Voce » Logged

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2011, 02:16:45 pm »

I was also at the Chicago show, and I was simply blown away. JLB sounded awesome. He sounded like an absolute angel in the "acoustic set". And I was so happy to hear These Walls, I just about started crying. JLB was also wearing an AWESOME long black coat during the beginning of the set. I absolutely love Mangini's drum solo. Hubby and I were sitting with our jaws open and drool coming out of our mouths. And he moves so beautifully when he plays. It's like watching water flow. As for the set list, I loved all of their choices. I think this is the third time I've heard Endless Sacrifice live. It was nice to hear Pull Me under again, too.
I can imagine it was an amazing evening. I am still deeply impressed by the wonderful shows here in Europe, in the summer ... James sometimes sounds really like an angel - angel of music Smiley.

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 05, 2011, 12:48:31 am »

Trib Total Media Ampitheater -  Pittsburgh, PA - 10-04-11

Bridges in the Sky
These Walls
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
The Ytse Jam
Wait for Sleep
Far From Heaven
The Great Debate
On the Backs of Angels
Caught In A Web
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Breaking All Illusions

Encore:
Pull Me Under

w34vi1

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 05, 2011, 04:00:28 pm »

NEW DATE ADDED

Thu - Dec 1st - San Diego, CA - Balboa Theater

Donna
Global Moderator

Ship wench

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 06, 2011, 09:18:52 am »

My GOSH.....I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO READY for tonight!!!!!!!!!

I can't stop the world from turning around
Or the pull of the moon on the tide
But I don't believe that we're in this alone
I believe we're along for the ride

Subu

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 06, 2011, 09:20:24 am »

My GOSH.....I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO READY for tonight!!!!!!!!!

You are going to have a FANTASTIC time Donna!!!  Enjoy every minute!  I am sure you and Marianne will have a rockin' good night!!!  Tell us all about it tomorrow!!!

‎"Accomplishment breeds confidence, insecurity breeds arrogance" - me

Hprog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2011, 11:05:01 am »

Rock ooooooonnnn!!!

Diana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: October 06, 2011, 11:46:34 am »

Enjoy the show tonight, Donna Smiley. Please tell us all about it tomorrow.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35
  Print  

Jump to: